New " Witness Only " Watchtower - Even More Controlling - Check this Out

by flipper 41 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

It had been 5 years or more since I even read a Watchtower article after exiting the witness cult in late 2003. But I was curious to see if the new " witness only " Watchtowers were more controlling than I remember them being 5 years ago. And it certainly opened my eyes to the extreme control. When you have been away from it - you can really see the difference ! A fellow JWD poster sent me one to look at. Here is what I found.

In the article , " Repudiate Ungodly Things " it immediately put down having too much time spent on " fun " things at the expense of " activities connected with our worship," saying, " relaxation becomes a valueless thing , adversely affecting our spiritual well-being. " Where do they come off telling people not to relax ? No wonder witnesses are so uptight !!

Then here came controlling comments on money and education ! About money, " Similarly , money has it's place . We need it to survive , and we can use it well in Jehovah's service. But if we place the pursuit of money ahead of our christian service , money becomes , in effect a god to us. " What an insane view ! I don't know about you, but I need to put more hours in working for money to just survive than I ever put in weekly going in the field ministry ! Are they for real ? About education : " What though of higher education received in a college or a university ? Many who pursue such education end up with their minds filled with harmful propaganda . Such education wastes valuable youthful years that could best be used in Jehovah's service . " Oh ! Jesus Christ, give me a frigging break - as if going in service all the time as a youth and not going to college isn't a total waste of time !!! Everybody needs an education!

Then - they gave a totally incorrect definition of the word , " covetousness ". Unbelievable ! They state, " Covetousness is a strong desire for something (WE DO NOT POSSESS.) It can be for material things. It can even include illicit sexual desire . " In looking up the word " covetousness " in the dictionary it states it is, " excessively desirous of possessions OF ( ANOTHER PERSON )or " immoderate desire for ( THAT WHICH IS ANOTHER PERSON'S ). So, if you have a strong desire for something not yours , if it doesn't belong to someone else, that is NOT covetousness. It is wanting to just have a simple possession, or have a simple sexual relationship. Now, if you covet your friends wife , that is different, or want to steal their material possessions ! But to just want sex , because you don't have it, or want material possessions , because you don't have them , IS NOT COVETOUSNESS !!! ARGGH! No wonder these witnesses are so mind controlled ! They are fed incorrect definitions EVEN !

The final kicker in this article making me want to " hurl " was warning the witnesses to dismiss any critical words against the organization ! Notice this : " If any statements come to our ears that are critical of the truth or that cast aspersions on the congregation, the elders, or any of our brothers ( pedophiles included ? ), we do not accept them at face value. Rather we ask: " Is the one spreading this story acting in harmony with what the Bible says ? Do these stories or allegations further Jehovah's purpose ? Do they promote the peace of the congregation ? " Anything we hear that tears down the brotherhood ( of pedophiles ) rather than builds it up is a worthless thing . " Does this sound like damage control to you folks ? They are really trying to insulate their rank and file members from bad media publicity involving child abuse scandals, blood transfusion scandals, etc. ! Telling them that ANYTHING that is negative , in spite of being true, is negative, and should be dismissed from thought !

WOW! So typical of the mind control BS being handed out from the Watchtower society. Since I had not read this crap in years - it really pissed me off ! I needed a good glass of wine after I was done ! So, my question to you folks - Do you feel the information is a lot more controlling than it was than even 5 or 10 years ago ? Do you see the desperation in this organization trying to grasp for straws to keep a tight control on it's members by any way possible ? And, like me do you feel the extreme control is only going to get worse as they see more rank and file members leaving because of the " big squeeze " being put on them ??? As always I look forward to your great takes and observations ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

From 20 to 23 I learned more WT crapo than all my children whos mother dragged them collectively to around 30+ years of meetings!

They can't argue one point with me on anything! They don't even know how to arue a point i could argue in favour of WT garbage!

So how is WT school doing for their general intellect apart from switching it off?

It was a waste of life and remains so!

• oompa
    oompa

Funny Flipper, I just read the same article this weekend....I too was gonna hurl, but since I was in sitdown mode on the crapper, I think I just wiped my arse with it! The education thing hit me most, but aint it great that you can apparently only criticize if you are promoting Gods purpose....as they define it....geeze, the way they put it allows for ZERO critique............................oompa

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    And, like me do you feel the extreme control is only going to get worse as they see more rank and file members leaving because of the " big squeeze " being put on them ???

I suppose so. With all the lawsuits, they are going to have to stop doing business as usual.
    If that is the case, they would have to stop disfellowshipping and announcing it. They would
    have to just let people leave and not tell the members how to shun them. HA HA. Never going to happen.

Instead, the control will get worse. If they are afraid of lawsuits, they will change things. But
    in all likelihood, they will simply DA everybody who doesn't fall in line and tell the members to
    shun them all. "Don't worry about what they did, they don't belong in the truth anymore, so they
    are part of Satan's world. Just shun them."

If you don't do field service at all for 6 months, you get shunned. If you don't attend meetings, DA and
    a shun. Fading might be a thing of the past- you are in or you are shunned.

Will it work- NO, but some will be afraid to stay out of line. It will be a desparation move. I was thinking
    the WTS had plenty of money and plenty of time, but they don't act like it. I see desparation a few
    short years away.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Now. Now. Every dark cloud has its silver lining ...

We need those uneducated JWs to run our fast food restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores and various public services.

C'mon, it's a blessing in disguise.

• Robert7
    Robert7

I still feel that the more controlling they try to be, the more people they will squeeze out. The more they talk about apostates and things against the Society, I think at some point people will wonder what they are hiding.

This will especially be true for those (like myself last year) who have some doubts (and many do) and will start thinking on their own.

Problem is, many will just follow it, and stay in just for family and friends.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    Many who pursue such education end up with their minds filled with harmful propaganda

Translation-you will learn things that make you question your faith. It doesn't matter how truthful the information is.

• caliber
    caliber

Just a thought on your incorrect word definition. The more I look and learn I am shocked at how often the Wt

takes a word definition which they bend, slant or redirect to suit their purpose or goal. For example countless times

in the old testament they exchange the word apostate for hypocrite so that now the focus is off hypocrisy (insincerity

within a religious group) to apostasy which is renunciation of ones faith (outside the religion).

How can you ever reach a proper conclusion without proper definition understanding? I think it becomes clear in

your post that unless one begins to look outside the Wt (not consulting a dictionary) you are all together defeated

in your hope to have clear thinking abilities.

Caliber

• IcingHeart
    IcingHeart

"If any statements come to our ears that are critical of the truth or that cast aspersions on the congregation, the elders, or any of our brothers, we do not accept them at face value. Rather we ask: "Is the one spreading this story acting in harmony with what the Bible says? Do these stories or allegations further Jehovah's purpose? Do they promote the peace of the congregation?" Anything we hear that tears down the brotherhood rather than builds it up is a worthless thing."

Um hello? Wouldn't the first question that comes to mind be, "Well, is it true?" They print every other question under the sun, but that one? Hmm, suspicious...

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

Flipper,

To a person who can read and reason and use their brain, it is easy to see that the cult is becoming

more controlling. However, the Witnesses do not look at it like a normal person would. They view

the tightening of the noose around their necks as proof that the end is so very close and that Jehovah is

just giving them the guidance they need to get thier spiritual house in order so that they can survive

the great tribulation which is just around the corner since we are in the last days of the last days of

the last days.

Thanks for keeping us all thinking and counting our blessings.

TooBad TooSad

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit