Who has lost faith?

by logic&reason 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I am curious about who (after leaving) went on to other religions vs. lost faith completely.

Once I started questioning the WT society, I began to question everything.

As JW's we are taught from childhood up that other religions are false - so it seems easy, after elliminating the last one, to be rid of religion altogether.

• Grammy
    Grammy
    Once I started questioning the WT society, I began to question everything.

That's exactly what happened to me, I lost faith completely in all religion and the bible.

I have no proof there is or isn't a God, however if the God of the bible is the "True God" I want nothing to do with him.

I always had a problem with reconciling the god of the old testament with what Jesus taught in the new testament anyway.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am right there with you. Losing all your religious faith is not so bad, though.

As I examined the WTS, I also examined the Bible. If the story of Noah wasn't sound,
    then why did God put it there? If Christianity is correct, is Jesus God or not? Stuff like
    that has led me to great research. It is my conclusion that NOBODY ever lived under the
    Mosiac Law Code. It was written long after the days of King David by priests of Yahweh
    or it was edited by Hebrew redactors from recorded legends and turned into scripture.

Likewise, the Gospels were chosen and credit was given to earlier authors. Editing and
    writing from existing documents eventually made them almost entirely agree with each
    other, even though very little of what was written was true.

I do believe that Jesus was raised to be the revolutionary leader that would encourage
    the ousting of Roman rule, but that he recognized that he would be a martyr for the cause,
    so he said to "pay Ceasar's things to Ceasar." Otherwise, he staged the ride into Jerusalem
    on a donkey to fulfill the "prophecy" and writers exaggerated how he fulfilled countless other
    prophecies.

Anyway, enough of that. You dismiss or want to dismiss all religion. I do it. That doesn't mean
    that you cannot appreciate that most of the earth wants to exchange gifts and wish for peace
    on earth in December according to a religious schedule. I wish such peace all the time, and I
    can give gifts anytime (sounds like a JW statement) so I can certainly join the rest of the people
    when they do it. I don't really celebrate other holidays, but I don't shun them either. I think kids
    like candy and searching for eggs, so if parents want to get into that, POWER TO THEM.
    My dad isn't a JW, so certainly, I will honor him on Father's Day (and the rest of the year) so that
    he doesn't feel left out.

I was in a mind-control cult for nearly 2 decades, so who am I to tell others that they should not
    practise Judiasm or Buddism or Christianity? Each person must decide for themselves how to
    worship or not worship. Their religions mostly teach that the Almighty is understanding and forgiving.
    That means that He should forgive me for not "picking" the correct religion or even believing that
    there is one, but understand that my cult experience has caused me to be turned off by
    organized religion.

If I am wrong, and there is a God, and he doesn't forgive as easily as I have stated, then I am
    furious with him. I was at my lowest point in life, begging him to guide me. He let me get into the
    JW cult and stop thinking for myself. If He let me do that, then cannot forgive me for not being able to
    pick the correct Methodist or Catholic or Jewish or Tribal belief that is "the truth," then I would rather
    be destroyed or rot in Hell then stand by his side for eternity. I don't carry that as a terrible grudge,
    but rather have decided to be a good person and not worry so much about "the truth" of religion or
    what the afterlife will bring me.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I went out with two sisters, Faith and Hope. I lost Faith when she discovered I had Hope.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

LOL @ Gary!

>> went on to other religions vs. lost faith completely.

I didn't "lose" my faith, per se. I abandoned it when I realized it was based on falsehoods. Sort of like believing a box contains a diamond because you have been told that it does. When you open the box and see that it's empty, you don't lose faith -- you gain knowledge. It's that knowledge that compels you to abandon your faith.

Dave

• PEC
    PEC

Never really had faith, I guess that is where the problems in Dubland started.

Philip

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Right on OTWO and Dave. Didn't lose anything, but no I'm not a believer, at least not of anything in the bible.

• Locutus of Borg
  • Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I was in so many religions when I was a child. All religions say the other religions are false and they are the only ones.

I had a X Husband that push religion down my throat. I had real bad things happen to me in the Church.

So I lost faith , I will never going back to Church.

• oompa
    oompa

The bible has been corrupted over time, sometimes by evil ol satanic apostates....if you don't believe me, just write the WTSOCIETY. So that pretty much busted my shaky faith in the bible, and of course JW's, since they are sooooo led by the corrupt thing. I don't know it that is the only source of corrupt knowledge of God, but really dont care right now. I believe there is incredible evidence of design and intelect in nature and the universe, and that is about as spiritual as I can get anymore. May try Daoism somday...................oompa

Faith thought of the day: The only people who know for sure is there is life after death.....ain't sayin much anymore............

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit