Who has lost faith?

by logic&reason 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Once more in defense of us atheists, an atheist is someone that dosn't actively believe in any god, not someone that believes they can absolutely prove there is no god.

A-theos.

No-God.

Burn

Actually, Burn, it has been suggested that the early Christians were the first group to be referred to as atheists, for their rejection of the Roman pantheon of deities.

It's only more recently (16th/17th century) that the term has come to refer to one that is more apatheistic in philosophy.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Actually, Burn , it has been suggested that the early Christians were the first group to be referred to as atheists, for their rejection of the Roman pantheon of deities.

It's only more recently (16th/17th century) that the term has come to refer to one that is more apatheistic in philosophy.

Well sure. But a-theos is a poor term for most nonbelievers.

Only someone with infinite knowledge could claim a universal negative.

Burn

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've lost faith in man-made organizations as conduits to God.

From a child, I have loved and been loved by my Creator. Whenever I look into a mirror, I see a miracle, because according to all known indicators, I'm not supposed to be here. I was born into extreme and abject poverty, an expendable write-off.

Yet, here I am. Literate,. productive, half-way healthy and sane, looking forward to every wrong thing being made right. Hallelujah!!!

Sylvia

• mouthy
    mouthy

I think of the scripture that says we had our ears tickled. Thinking we were going to live on a paradise earth....That is what we wanted to believe
    But I have eyes now & I love to see what I believe a Creator created. I find it so hard to think that they just evolved .... But if YOU do so be it. But I believe in God......Isnt it great that HE allows us to think as we like & allow us to agree to disagree?

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Mouthy... I like you.

I don't necessarily agree with you on everything you said, but I like you, and I agree with you on this: Live and let live. If eveyone could be that way, the world would be a much better place.

Nobody can prove the existence or non-existence of God(s). We have highly evolved brains that allow us to sort through the proven facts, and the result of each one's sorting is usually different.

I must say that it is nice to have an open forum like this to debate our opinions.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Losing faith is an essential journey for the pure in heart!

Faith is attachment to anothers spirituality which will guarantee a life of confusion and inner conflict!

Losing faith is the journey to finding yourself at one with nature and that whcih spurned you!

• Galileo
    Galileo

Well sure. But a-theos is a poor term for most nonbelievers.

A-theos, as you stated, means no god, as in, no belief in a god. It is a perfect term for nonbelievers. Non-believer means "Does not believe" as in "Does not believe in a god."

Only someone with infinite knowledge could claim a universal negative.

Exactly, which is why I don't know of a single atheist that believes they have absolute proof that there is no god. That includes the most famous radical atheists alive today, such as Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens. They simply believe there is no positive proof that there is one, and don't believe in things for which there is not evidence, as I've stated. Clearly you believe there is evidence, and that's fine. The idea that atheists believe they have positive proof that there is no god is a straw man argument invented by believers in order to make the atheists' position appear ridiculous. Try not to mischaracterize my point of view and I'll try not to mischaracterize yours.

• Maddie
    Maddie

Well I have definitely been on a journey with faith since leaving the WT, thats for sure! I have certainly lost faith in relious organisations and feel the freedom to search in my own way. I have moments of doubt but then I feel full of faith, so I guess my journey is still continuing.

Maddie

• 10p
    10p

FAITH is NOT a GOOD thing.

I don't know WHY humans presently give faith such a good treatment.

• golf2
    golf2

I had faith before ever being a witness. Nothing has changed.

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit