Judge rules JW elders must testify in molestation case

by pseattle2 30 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

This just went up on freeminds regarding the JW elders in Southern California, who have so far been stonewalling about their private conversations with accused JW child molester Gilbert Simental... The judge in the case has issued an order for them to testify:

(The judge) said... "It was more like a third-party investigation into immoral conduct."... the judge said, the elders' duty was to determine guilt and to protect the congregation, not to keep the communications under wraps.

"It's an investigative, fact-finding body without regard for confidentiality," he said. "This was a tribunal designed to protect the congregation."

Naturally, the faithful and discreet slave who brings you the truth that leads to eternal life has decided to appeal this ruling.

Link to the news article: http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_H_faith26.4193557.html

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

I know, I'm excited to see the results of this. Maybe it will shed some more light on the ever-secretive Watchtower... and WAKE people UP!!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I thought this battle was fought and lost last year in Napa.

• horrible life
    horrible life

Since JW's LOVE to go to the Supreme Court, it would be nice if this went up also. Just to get some bad press for the JW's and show America and the rest of the world, how horrible and cultish the JW's are.

I still can't understand, how the Scientoligists can get such bad press, and people know that they are all wackos, but we can't break the barrier, and have the JW's declared wackos.

• pseattle2
    pseattle2
    I thought this battle was fought and lost last year in Napa.

In 2005, to be exact, yes it was. It was one of the lawsuits that was settled in exchange for a gag agreement from the victims. The Murieta case is a whole new thing. I got a feeling we'll soon be seeing even more industrial real estate for sale in Brooklyn.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

(The judge) said... "It was more like a third-party investigation into immoral conduct."... the judge said, the elders' duty was to determine guilt and to protect the congregation, not to keep the communications under wraps.

"It's an investigative, fact-finding body without regard for confidentiality," he said. "This was a tribunal designed to protect the congregation."

The quote above went this way with the statements before it:

In his ruling, Dickerson said testimony from Elder Andrew Sinay showed the Jehovah's Witnesses' judicial committee system is not designed to keep information confidential.

Dickerson said this was not a case where Gilbert Simental went to the elders seeking forgiveness or guidance.

"This was the opposite," he said. "It was more like a third-party investigation into immoral conduct."

He also ruled:

(Elder Andrew Sinay testified about JW's judicial committee system)

Sinay said they share information obtained during judicial committee proceedings with the Jehovah's Witnesses office in New York and with committees that are called on in an appellate capacity.

Further, they told others about the outcome of their confidential discussion:

The girls' mother testified that Sinay later told her that Simental had made a full confession.

While Sinay did not provide her with a verbatim confession, she said Sinay did tell her that Simental had confessed.

Clark asked whether Sinay ever said that Simental had confessed to molesting her daughters.

The woman said he did not use the word "molest" during their conversation.

The girls' father testified that during a meeting with Sinay, Vaughn and another elder, he was also told that Simental confessed during a judicial committee meeting.

The elders also told the father that Simental had never done this before and was no danger to the community, he said.

He does it twice, but he's no danger to the community, huh? Maybe he just molests JW's little girls so
    the community outside the cong. is safe.

You can read the news post at http://www.pe.com/localnews/rivcounty/stories/PE_News_Local_H_faith26.4193557.html

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Since JW's LOVE to go to the Supreme Court, it would be nice if this went up also. Just to get some bad press for the JW's and show America and the rest of the world, how horrible and cultish the JW's are.

I still can't understand, how the Scientoligists can get such bad press, and people know that they are all wackos, but we can't break the barrier, and have the JW's declared wackos.

This is different from the flag-salute thing that they went to the Supreme Court for in the first place. I think they realize they can't let it get that far and maintain their public standing. They'll drop it before the world starts watching.

Either that or turn on the persecution sign and claim the American justice system is the "king of the North" (although they've bailed 'em out before).

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    Since JW's LOVE to go to the Supreme Court

Just think it will cost them lots and lots of money all provided by the generous mind controlled parisheners so to speak.

hope4others

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Since JW's LOVE to go to the Supreme Court

Yes, this would be a great negative publicity case. Even if they won (unlikely), the general
    opinion would be that JW's protect pedophiles from prosecution.

I like the rulings from the judge, not just because I hate the cult. It gives several good reasons
    why the clergy of JW's do not apply for confidentiality. It makes them totally reexamine their
    way of doing things.

I do believe that lawyers should be able to keep their client's confidentiality. I do believe that
    approaching your "spiritual advisor" for help (commonly known as confession) could be kept
    confidential because most preachers actually help the member to come forward to the police
    and make matters right. JW's don't do that- they circle the wagons around the organization.

A group of 2 elders is an "investigative committee." Can we see them abandon that title and
    start calling the investigation into rules violation by some more acceptable term like a
    "counsel session group" ? Can we see the WTS telling elders to follow standard procedures
    and never contact Headquarters with names of abusers? Can we see their lawyers just
    looking for new ways around court rulings instead of appreciating that the courts are doing the
    job of protecting victims because WT has let them down?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Maybe the long arm of the WTS isn't so long after all... They aren't above the rules the rest of us have to follow. Good!

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit