Judge rules JW elders must testify in molestation case

by pseattle2 30 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• horrible life
    horrible life

Thanks Flipper, I figured that the number would be very high, but I didn't know that it was 100%. So how can any JW, elder, parent, grandparent, not get irate over this stance of the WT, when these sorry excuses for humans confess?

I have read here on JWD, that they have allowed elders to stay in position even. Totally crazy!!! Jehovah's spirit? Yeah, right.

Maybe there are hundreds of elders who really disagree, but know that they can't verbalize it, for fear of not questioning the Society. Yet, here it is again, they aren't thinking beyond the box, to realize that asking of that one question, and getting in trouble for it, is a HUGE red flag that this is a cult! H/L

My blood pressure goes up, every time I get involved with this subject. Well, not only my BP, I just can't wrap my brain around this whole stance that they take. There are many intelligent JW's. Why can't they just open their eyes? My father being one. But I don't dare brooch the subject.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

What I would like to know is why the organizations like Silent Lambs, Polly Klaus father and that Mark guy don't team up and go after the societies "secret list" of pedophile accounts b4 it is destroyed. Hurry up people and go for it!!!!! A pedophile is like a rotten apple who says they are sorry but they are still a rotten apple.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I hope a case like this (or this one) does go before the Supreme Court because lower court rulings have little value outside of their own county. If the Supreme Court rules on something like this, well that is it (unless it is later reversed).

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

You all know what is going to happen, don't you?

The local BOE is going to get thrown under the bus, as suggested by Mr. Flipper. The Borg will do whatever it takes to distance themselves from a local matter. I am sure they already have their legal mechanisms in place to give them an out. They are going to let the local BOEs assume personal liablity for this if they can get away with it.

Wow!!!! I had no idea what I was signing on for when I was appointed as an elder. And, speaking of that, it would not surprise me at all if the Borg started making elders sign very detailed contracts that would preemptively absolve the Borg from any responsibility for things occurring at the local level.

It will be very interesting to see how things evolve.

All the best to everyone,

Alex

• cognac
    cognac
    Simental is charged with a similar allegation in another criminal case. That case is currently awaiting trial.

I wonder if this has anything to do with JWs also...

• MeneMene
    MeneMene

Here's another news article which sounds like all 3 children were in the congregation.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/riverside/20080327-0308-jehovah.html

"Gilbert Simental, 49, is accused of lewd behavior with a 9-year-old and two 10-year-old daughters of congregation members during sleepovers or visits by the girls to his Murrieta home between 2005 and 2006."

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

If the courts agree with the prosecution, then headquarters will distance themselves from the local elders. I've seen this happen on other matters. I personally knew of a situation where an elder had to step down for possible legalities. Unfortunately the act of stepping down was an admission of guilt. Although he was clearly not guilty

• 10p
    10p
    Naturally, the faithful and discreet slave who brings you the truth that leads to eternal life has decided to appeal this ruling

Is the attorney, Miles Clark, in the pay of the Watchtower B&TS or in the pay of the accused?

• Yizuman
    Yizuman

02:45 PM PDT on Monday, April 7, 2008 Tammy McCoy

An appellate court today denied a request to intervene in the case of a Jehovah's Witness facing child molestation charges.

The Fourth Appellate District Division Two declined a defense petition requesting they stop Gilbert Simental's trial to address a superior court judge's ruling that orders elders from a Jehovah's Witness congregation to testify.

The Murrieta man's lawyers Thursday asked the court to overturn Riverside County Superior Court Judge F. Paul Dickerson's decision ordering the congregation leaders to testify about admissions Simental reportedly made during an inquiry into reports of child molestation.

"We are disappointed that they did not grant the stay and decide the issue," defense attorney Miles Clark said this morning.

Prosecutor Burke Strunsky declined comment.

Clark said he will ask another court to hear the defense petition and hopes to file paperwork with the appropriate court later this week.

Simental, 49, is charged with molesting two of his daughter's friends during sleepovers at his home from July 2005 to July 2006, court records indicate. The girls were ages 9 and 10 at the time and are sisters, court records show.

As a practice, The Press-Enterprise does not publish the names of those who are believed to have been victims of sexual abuse.

Simental's lawyers contend the state is depriving elders and its members of the right to keep these statements confidential while giving it to others who engage in one-on-one confessions or counseling with clergy, according to court papers filed with the appellate court.

In the Simental case, three elders formed a judicial committee to look into a report that two girls were molested.

Simental and Elders Andrew Sinay and John Vaughn all believed their conversations were confidential. They were made during judicial committee formed in response to allegations of child sex abuse, Clark has said.

In his ruling, Judge Dickerson said having three elders involved made this judicial committee a fact-finding body not concerned with maintaining confidentiality.

When someone is removed from the Jehovah's Witnesses, notes from a judicial committee meeting including admissions are passed on to another committee tasked with handling the appeal. The elders must send paperwork explaining evidence presented to the Jehovah's Witnesses headquarters in New York after the person is dismissed.

Opening statements are expected later today in Simental's trial at the Southwest Justice Center in French Valley.

Source: http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_D_webtestify.23d1b64.html

Yiz

• pseattle2
    pseattle2
    Thanks Flipper, I figured that the number would be very high, but I didn't know that it was 100%. So how can any JW, elder, parent, grandparent, not get irate over this stance of the WT, when these sorry excuses for humans confess?

Well, let's be as factual as possible -- it's not 100%, becuase nothing is 100%. But I'd have a hard time believing it's less than 95%.

I have read here on JWD, that they have allowed elders to stay in position even. Totally crazy!!! Jehovah's spirit? Yeah, right.

Maybe there are hundreds of elders who really disagree, but know that they can't verbalize it, for fear of not questioning the Society. Yet, here it is again, they aren't thinking beyond the box, to realize that asking of that one question, and getting in trouble for it, is a HUGE red flag that this is a cult! H/L

This is the moral quandry that the WTS has been courting since the days of Rutherford. They have never been in a position where preservation of the organization was trumped by preservation of a worldwide standard of morality and decency. For the first time the WTS's moral stance is going to legitimately, legally be called into question. There is simply no way in the world their procedures regarding child molesters are going to be seen as better than the moral standard accepted by "the world." None.

My blood pressure goes up, every time I get involved with this subject. Well, not only my BP, I just can't wrap my brain around this whole stance that they take. There are many intelligent JW's. Why can't they just open their eyes? My father being one. But I don't dare brooch the subject.

They're filling an emotional need. Not an intellectual or logical one. Plenty of very smart people are JWs because emotion trumps intellect. The fear of pain is frequently more acute than the need to know the truth. Earthquakes scare the hell out of smart people who know the science of earthquakes and lesser folks who have no idea. And now the terra firma of the WTS is starting to look mighty wobbly.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit