Were You Ever Counseled Because Of What You Wore (or didn't)?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - my ties were a little flamboyant

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

True, in print they did say away with the white shirt rule, but in the cong I was with until '93, they followed that rule. I didn't care as that's all I wore anyways. I considered my style of dress as conservative but at the time I did spend some money on suits. My ties were considered to trendy. This brought talk. My wife had a nice body and she wore clothes at times that was considered too "revealing". Most of it originated from sisters complaining to thier husband elders. Once I got the long sideburn council I changed congregations.

• thepackage
    thepackage

I got lectured twice, once for waering a sport coat and not a suit to give a talk and for wearing a "loud" tie on stage. BIg f-ing deal. I was at meeting and all they cared about was what i was wearing. I also got spoken to once that my hair was too-short. I expalined to the Elder that i had a cut on my head and hand to shave my head in order to apply medicine. He didn't care. Typical a**holes.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Yes, I wore a very nice paintsuit to a Sunday meeting, I didn't care.

I dyed my hair a nice reddish color, it was not appropriate.

I didn't wear stockings in the summer, inappropriate.

I wore a denim dress, my grandmother brought me, was counseled, and I wore it whenever I wanted, I didn't care.

• loosie
    loosie

One summer I had a talk with another sister in the back school. I wore a strapless sundress. The skirt was below my knees. I thought it was fine. My mother who was a prude didn't say anything to me. So I figured I passed the dress test. I was probably 19 years old. Anyway the shifty bro who was giving counsel for the talks asked to speak to me in the back room. He didn't ask another brother to come in with us, it was just him and me.

He told me that I was too DRESSED UP for giving a talk. This was a cotton dress, not a prom dress. This was before I had kids, so I didn't have much up top. So I didn't understand how I was dressed up. It took me awhile but I realalized that he didn't want to see my little chest. I don't get it I didn't have much to stare at.

• minimus
    minimus

I know of elders that used older sisters to tell the younger ones they were not properly attired. Elder's wives did this regularly in some Halls.

• free2think
    free2think

Yep, by my dad though (PO). It was mostly my tops that were the problem, as i am a little more full figuredso every top i had always crept down no matter how hard i tried. I remember the looks he would give me when we were sitting in the meeting, then he would make a face as well as making comments before the meetings lol.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I was told that I wore too much black, my hair was too long, and combat boots were not christian.

• dinah
    dinah

One elder always complained that my skirts were too short. This is the same one who had an unusual interest in sniffing out fornicators. I also had one of those really long skirts that was split to the knee. The skirts that were too short, fell right at my knee.

Elders must be some horny and sexually deprived, sick individuals.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

I got counseled by our CO that coloring my hair was considered to be a sign of homosexuality. I had dyed my hair brown with some friends for fun. Later I was counseled for cutting my hair too close, I had a buzz cut. Of course it was perfectly ok for the sisters to color their hair and the black brothers got no grief for completely shaving their head. But because I was white and male I could do neither as I would either be considered gay or a skin head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit