Who lets it be known that they were once a JW?

by lfcviking 37 Replies latest jw friends

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

GG - you and I are two peas in a pod! I tell EVERYONE I can, if they want to hear more I keep going. I call it my informal anti-witnessing. I have anti JW YOU TUBE videos on my Facebook profile page. I am not a bit embarrassed to tell people I was in an evil brain washing cult. If I can prevent ONE person from starting a Bible study then it was worth the effort. Just planting those seeds!

• Undecided
    Undecided

It doesn't bother me at all. Most people here know I was a JW, especially the old ones I usually talk to. I don't try to avoid talking about it or try to bring it up in a conversation. I'm more apt to say something detrimental about religion in general that just JWs.

Ken P.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I didn't want to for quite awhile. However, I do now. I have come to feel it is a true story that must be told. I have learned that certainly people for the most part don't hate JWs,,they just think it is weird or bothersome when JWs knock at the door.

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    But even if you joined as an adult, I don't think it's something you should feel ashamed about or feel the need to keep from others. Sure it may have been a mistake, but many people make mistakes, and some of us correct them.

True 'Maxwell', we all make mistakes, but i joined this cult at the adult age of 25 and remained an active member for 6 years (was involved for 10 years altogether including my studying time). It has cost me a big chunk of my life, i had to 'bin' my then 'worldly' friends, i nearly dumped my career because of it, and has left me with long term family complications/difficulties.

I chose to joint this cult out of my own free will, i wan't brought up in it, and nobody coerced me into it. So i consider this decision of mine as not just a mistake, but a serious, costly, embarassing major f**k up.

So admitting this to someone is a bit like saying you nearly made a total mess of your life and are completely gullable. This is something i find hard sharing with people/friends who i meet.

LFCv

• mouthy
    mouthy

I joined late in life also... but I dont mind admitting I was and am nuts. They know it after being in my company for long, but they all say "to KNOW you is to love you Grace" except Frank LOL

So admitting this to someone is a bit like saying you nearly made a total mess of your life and are completely gullable. This is something i find hard sharing with people/friends who i meet.

LFCv

• oompa
    oompa

Most of my friends/contacts are through business....and I have hid the fact I was a JW for decades while I was in it!!! I sure as hell aint gonna say anything now!!!! I still don't have any real friends yet, but I would probably tell them..........................oompa

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    I joined late in life also... but I dont mind admitting I was and am nuts.

Thanks for sharing that 'Mouthy', it appears you have a strength where i have a weakness. I should take a leaf out of your book.

Cheers

LFCv

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I tell most people I become friends with that I was raised a JW. I have a lot of quirks to my personality, somehow I think it helps people understand. lol. Not really people I know and see, but people I actually befriend. I'm not a big social person though, so that number is few.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I don't say that I was but I say I was raised with parent who were, since I was never baptized or really did anything in the society I consider myself a POW, Prisoner Of Watchtower

• tinker
    tinker

I told a new friend for the very first time. I explained why, at age 56 I needed to make all new friends. She didn't ask but I decided to try out saying the words, I was once one of Jehovah's Witness' Boy O Boy did that feel good. And I said, 'will you add us to your Christmas Party list' She agreed and in fact invited us to an Easter Brunch this weekend. Very Exciting!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit