Who lets it be known that they were once a JW?

by lfcviking 37 Replies latest jw friends

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

I am curious, for those of us here who have left the JW org, who actually lets it be known to people that they were once a practicing JW.

For me, this is something i tend to keep quiet because it is something i'm not particularly proud of.

Anyone else feel the same way?

LFCv

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Personally, I tend to tell people,as it helps them understand the massive gap in my life.

Most don't believe me at first, then their jaw drops as they realise I am serious.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

To the contrary, lol, I ENJOY!!!! telling people I know about the CULT!!!! If they ask deeper, I tell them all the nasty little secrets that they should be aware of.

NMG

• maxwell
    maxwell

I let it be known if it comes up. I don't necessarily volunteer the information. But if I actually start getting to know someone on any more than a superficial level, it invariably comes up. Like doofdaddy said, it explains the gaps or perhaps the lack of some traditions common to most people in this country. And if they want to know more about that part of my past, I won't hesitate to share. I don't want it to define me, but it is a part of me.

I am not ashamed of my past as a JW. I was raised a JW. But even if you joined as an adult, I don't think it's something you should feel ashamed about or feel the need to keep from others. Sure it may have been a mistake, but many people make mistakes, and some of us correct them.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I try not to let it come up, but it does when everyone is going home for the holidays or celebrating the holidays. A lot of times, they know I am Buddhist, but some keep asking questions and then I let them know I have never celebrated holidays and thus it begins. I am not proud of it, but I am not ashamed of it either, it is what it is, I didn't have a choice growing up and when I did have a choice, at 18 I was out of there...

• Maddie
    Maddie

I don't go around broadcasting it but if it comes up or my experience will be of help or beneficial then I tell people about it.

Maddie

• M Lisa
    M Lisa

It's not something I start a converstaion off with,but if I feel it may help someone to understand me better or may help them in some way to know about,well then I may share.

ML

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Hey, if it means more embarrassment for the cult, why not?

• mouthy
    mouthy

I dont let ONE day go by without telling EVERYONE I meet that I am a EX JW...I dont care who or where they are.
    First when we get into conversation & being Mouthy, I get into conversation with whom ever smiles at me or smiles back... Most people are kind to old crippled women... I usually start off by saying "Who ever said "Old age is golden is a liar,its rusty" ...Cos I am waiting to kick the bucket"
    The usual response is "OH NO you mustnt say that" Then I ask them "are you a Jehovahs Witness"all but one I have ever done this to say NO!!!
    Then I go into" well let me tell you I WAS!!!!" I have Never spoken to anyone that didnt want to hear more.... Bank Managers, chiropidist, person in the TIM HORTON line up. Bus drivers, Doctors. ETC:

And because I am an OLD crippled Woman----THEY put up with me.... LOL I am going to use my last years to try & undo the lies I preached for 25 years. Now I dont knock on doors.... I just open this BIG MOUTH.... Folks must be warned.....about the Wolf that is roaming....I was taught by "MOTHER"To Advertise ,advertise ,advertise. !!!!! I still obey

• Gopher
    Gopher

Like others, if it comes up in conversation I will talk about it. If I make close new friends, I do let them know. Anyone who would hold it against you is not good friend material anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit