Who is your favorite Artist?

by coffee_black 55 Replies latest jw friends

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

There are many artists whose work I love, but I think my all time favorite is Sargent... My second home, growing up, was the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, and additionally, The Gardner Museum close by... Both have important Sargents... The way he painted light was liquid and sensual... a master at making the complex look effortless....He had it all...

http://jssgallery.org/Major_Paintings/Major.htm

So whose art do you love?

Coffee

• minimus
    minimus

The Artist (formerly known as Prince).

• compound complex
    compound complex

Albert Bierstadt (January 7, 1830 - February 18, 1902) was a German-Americanpainter best known for his large landscapes of the American West. In obtaining the subject matter for these works, Bierstadt joined several journeys of the Westward Expansion. Though not the first artist to record these sites, Bierstadt was the foremost painter of these scenes for the remainder of the 19th century.

Bierstadt was part of the Hudson River School, not an institution but rather an informal group of like-minded painters. The Hudson River School style involved carefully detailed paintings with romantic, almost glowing lighting, sometimes called luminism.

CoCo L'Artiste

• ninja
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

I tend to fancy the Impressionists - Monet, Manet, and Cezanne. While living in France, I visited Monet's home in Givergny. I also like the modernists such as Picasso, Braque, Chagall, Kandinsky and Klee. I like most paintings done in the nineteenth century and after - impressionist, cubist, and modernist.

• DJK
    DJK
    The Artist (formerly known as Prince).

I think he is back to Prince. (The artist formally known as a symbol.) (The symbol was a seal that stood for "Son of the King". Still a Prince)

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

I see Ninja likes Escher. I like him too. And I like Magritte too.

• minimus
    minimus

DJK, I know but I just couldn't resist.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Caravaggio

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelangelo_Merisi

Sometimes impish, sometimes formal, often inserting what today might be called imperfections of his subjects (he does not always idealize in an expected fashion); there's often an explicit or implicit sexuality beyond sensuality, so some of his works may not seem nuanced enough but just as often his symbolism (which may or may not be intentional) seems mysterious.

His work is a product of his times in subject and expression, but technically holds up profoundly well as any Old Master would be expected to.

• flipper
    flipper

COFFEE BLACK- I have been collecting art for 10 years now as a hobby ! I like the time period of 1900 through 1935 . I have collected about 100 framed antique framed prints from that period which hang on my wife and my walls. Various subjects - mountain sceneries, wildlife, bears, deer, moonlight and sunset prints, flapper women from the 1920's , indian maiden prints, hunting and fishing prints, garden prints , things like that.

My favorite artist is R. Atkinson Fox , and I have about 50 of his works. Maxfield Parrish I like as well, although much more expensive, I have 5 of his. Other calendar artists I enjoy from that time period are : W.M. Thompson, Rolf Armstrong, Adelaide Hiebel, Zula Kenyon, Phillip Goodwin, Frank Stick, Thomas Moran, Charles Russell ( not the Bible student ) , Mabel Rollins Harris, Bessie Pease Gutmann , L. Goddard, Hy Hintermeister , lots of others, but those are the main ones I have purchased before ! It is a wonderful hobby, and I buy off the internet as well . I have lots of the price guide books so I know how much the various prints are worth in today's market.

So, I am careful to not get duped into buying reproductions though, as there are unscrupulous sellers on E-bay . I just buy authentic , older prints. I get good deals - usually purchase prints at 10% to 30 % of what they are worth. It's how I've been able to collect a lot of them. Collecting art is great ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit