Are you safety conscious? Come on girls, read it!

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

I'm writing this because of a conversation I had with a co-worker who made it plain that she is anti-gun, 'guns kill people', yada yada. She doesn't know that my gun is on me everyday, within just feet of her during the day, she still doesn't. I'm writing this because I have seen a trait that's common to the anti-gun crowd, and it's a scary one. I find that they are usually the least prepared mentally for a potential confrontation, or, and I hate to say it, naive, ignorant of their surroundings.

This gal jogs alone on a running path for miles at a time, with headphones on, therefore has no idea what's going on around her when she's out there, plus she takes no phone with her. I won't do that with a gun on me. . .come on!! Does everyone know that, in most locations, if you call 911 from your cel phone (with the exception of some pre-paid phones) that through your phone's GPS your location can be tracked within feet? Does everyone know that if you set your phone's GPS setting to 'location on'--not just the 911 setting--that your phone can be located even if you don't call 911?

A cop friend of mine attended a law enforcement training class on the 'new' terrorism. In a nutshell: Where will domestic and foreign terrorists next strike? At your child's school. There is the potential for kids to be picked off one by one by snipers when they are led outside for a fire drill. . .on the playground. . .by bombs in the classrooms or during assemblies.

He was disturbed by one question asked of the class of officers: How much ammo do you carry? They all gave generally the same number in answer. The response from instructors? It's not nearly enough. And if the police are concerned about not carrying enough ammo, what shape is the public in?

New training and thinking is based now on what happened at the elementary school in Beslan--now delightfully referred to as the Beslan Massacre where 1200 hostages were taken and 334 were killed, plus 400 hundred more children adults left maimed and disabled. 30 terrorists, men and women, committed this act.

Here's my point, and this is the most affecting quote I've read about this incident: "After returning to Moscow, Putin ordered a two-day period of national mourning for Sept 6 and 7, 2004. In his televised speech he paraphrased Joseph Stalin, saying: 'We have shown weakness. The weak ones get beaten.' "

You may not agree with me for carrying a gun, or with us for having guns at every corner of our home, between the cushions of the sofa in the living room, or for that time you opened the utility drawer in my kitchen when you were looking for silverware and were stunned to meet my 'kitchen drawer gun'; you may be completely anti-gun. That's fine, just do this one thing, do it for yourself only. Take self-defense classes, talk with law-enforcement to learn how victims are being picked, take a gun class--there are people there who are security conscious, you'll learn from them and you won't have to ever handle a gun. Learn how to be an alert citizen, to not be a target.

The lessons: Know what's going on around you. Be a little suspicious. The weak ones get beaten. If your life or that of a family member is threatened, fight for all you're worth. Go in with that mindset and you can win.

Hugs to all.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I am.

I'm armed.

I'm safety conscious and believe strongly in the second amendment.

Just like you, people would be shocked to know that I feel VERY VERY safe and am aware of all that goes on around me.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    I find that they are usually the least prepared mentally for a potential confrontation, or, and I hate to say it, naive, ignorant of their surroundings.

This gal jogs alone on a running path for miles at a time, with headphones on, therefore has no idea what's going on around her when she's out there, plus she takes no phone with her. I won't do that with a gun on me. . .come on!! Does everyone know that, in most locations, if you call 911 from your cel phone (with the exception of some pre-paid phones) that through your phone's GPS your location can be tracked within feet? Does everyone know that if you set your phone's GPS setting to 'location on'--not just the 911 setting--that your phone can be located even if you don't call 911?

That's just asking to be a target. She should know better. Female joggers who go out alone are just asking for trouble; I know this from all of the stories I've heard of lone joggers being accosted as they jog along the canyon paths and parks. She should take a tough friend or a dog along with her.

A cop friend of mine attended a law enforcement training class on the 'new' terrorism. In a nutshell: Where will domestic and foreign terrorists next strike? At your child's school. There is the potential for kids to be picked off one by one by snipers when they are led outside for a fire drill. . .on the playground. . .by bombs in the classrooms or during assemblies.

I'd worry more about one of the kids being strapped than a terrorist coming to pick off schoolkids...

Take self-defense classes, talk with law-enforcement to learn how victims are being picked, take a gun class--there are people there who are security conscious, you'll learn from them and you won't have to ever handle a gun. Learn how to be an alert citizen, to not be a target.

I wholeheartedly agree.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I used to carry a gun, When I first became a deputy sherriff.

I dont carry one nowadays. For one I work in a jail and we arent allowed to carry one in the jail.

When I am not at work, I wear shorts. My major daily activity is going to the gym. Thats not really a place to carry a gun.

I play music in bars on the weekend.

It's against the law to carry a gun into a bar, or a place that sells alcohol.

It's very against the law in Florida to carry a gun into a school.

But before I walk into 7-11 or the bank, I always look it over real well to see whats going on.

I have a 2 year old granddaughter so I cant keep any guns in the sofa or silverware door.

I live with 4 dogs and I sleep with my bedroom locked and I have a gun in my bedroom that I can get to.

I used to carry a gun in the car. But the lock broke. Now I have a new car and the lock works but I got out of the habbit of carrying a gun.

If I carried a gun on my person, I would be spending all of my daytime hours securing it off my person.

• StAnn
    StAnn

I don't carry a gun and don't allow them in my house. I'm afraid the children will get into them. One little slip up on my part and someone could die. I'm also afraid to have a gun around because there are certain times of the month when I might actually be tempted to use it "inappropriately" in a hormone-induced rage!

But my dad has guns and my husband and many others in my family are hunters. I've always thought it would be fun to learn to target shoot.

I took a self-defense class. In that class, they advised that women carry an umbrella, like a golf umbrella, with a fiberglass shaft. If you're attacked from behind with the "muggers grab," you can jam the sharp point of the umbrella into the attackers leg, foot, what have you and break free. Also, you can hold it out in front of you in case of knife attack. The attacker may be able to slash your arms but he won't be able to slash your throat. The biggest use for the umbrella is that, if someone is picking someone to attack, they'll see your umbrella and, if it's a rainy day, be able to figure out quickly that you're carrying it for self-defense. They'll move on to an easier target.

Just a little non-lethal self-defense advice.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Wow Pioneer spit thats a lot of guns. Have you watched the movie THE BRAVE ONE with Jodie Foster just out on DVD recently. Its a must see for those who wish to defend themselves with guns. A little over the top but interesting.

Have a great weekend

Velvetann

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I think for me a hand held tazor might be better, guns often get turned on the user.

hope4others

• Casper
    Casper

Hi Pioneer Spit...

Sounds like you all are ready for anything...

There's alot of good info in your post... I'm going to share this with my family.

As for us personally, we're armed, have a large dog and security lights all around...

Cas

• sandy
    sandy

I've been thinking about getting a gun for protection here at home. It's just guns make me so nervous. I went to the shooting range with my fiance and I was way too nervous. I shot the gun once and that was it, I started crying. The shell hit me on the face and scared the hell out of me. LOL

I am very aware of my surroundings no matter where I am. I used to let my guard down when on vacation though. As paranoid as I can be that surprised people, even me. So I'm making it a habit to not do that anymore.

Also, I always drive with my car doors locked. I cannot believe how many people drive with their doors unlocked.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I am also very safety conscious. I am aware of my surroundings, at all times. Even while driving so I don't get blocked in by car jackers. I also have a gun, but I don't carry it with me. I am not a licensed carrier. I am an excellent shot and have been taught safety by my husband. I am home alone with three kids more often than not. I have a field at the edge of my backyard. Yes, our neighborhood is gated, but someone could walk around the back one. If someone came into my house I would shoot first.

Here's an example. We have friends that live on a fairly isolated road. Her husband is on the road on tour most of the year, and she is home alone. Recently she was in front of the fire reading when the handle to her back porch door jiggled. Fortunately it was locked, or she would be dead. It took the sheriff 22 minutes to get there. The officer asked if she had any fire arms in the house. No, she didn't. He suggested she get two. One for the living room, one for the bedroom. So she went to safety classes and got two handguns.

momz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit