Are you safety conscious? Come on girls, read it!

by Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Forscher
    Forscher

I agree that being conscious of one's surroundings 100% of the time is very important.

There used to be a video on you tube taken from a surveillance videocam in a MacD's. It showed an elderly gent being knocked out by a thug because the man just didn't keep his eye out for potential trouble. Any really good defensive class or program teaches awareness as a critical component of personal safety and security.

In my youth I studied a couple of exotic combative arts. A key component of instruction was training in awareness, even when asleep. My wife tells me that after we first got married, she couldn't get out of bed and go to the bathroom without me rolling out of bed and assuming an attack position as she returned to our bedroom. She said I was scary! I don't even remember doing that.

For years after I became a Witness, I used to encourage some of my closest friends to try to catch me off-guard with mock attacks when I least expected. Even worldy acquaintances who knew of my training, and they were few, tried. Even a brother who held a black belt tried a mock attack in a crowded situation a few years ago. Nobody ever succeeded. That was to keep my edge.

My training also encouraged me to think of everyday items we have around us as potentially lethal weapons for self defense. As I type this I have a pair of scissors, a cup, a bowl, two spoons, two empty water bottles, a plate, about thirty pencils and pens, and a box of 7.62x54 rifle bullets, any of which I can grab if somebody kicks in the door and use lethally if I can get close enough to an attacker (I can probably use the plate and/or bowl to distract an attacker and allow me to get in close). Believe it or not, there is a very little known martial from Japan which specializes in that very aspect of defense.

In my house, one can find three K-bar combat knives, a couple of Gerbers, and a few other odd combat knives secreted at various locations around the house. I also have a few other oriental weapons I will not specify around the house as well. Not to mention my fine set of Sheffield kitchen knives on the counter in my kitchen. Let's just say that trying to start something untoward in my house is not a very good idea at all.

I am also considering buying several pistols (I grew up shooting firearms and enjoy it as a hobby) and obtaining a permit to carry in the near future. Unfortunately, my usual mode of dress does not lend itself very well to concealed carry most of the time, so I won't rely primarily on firearms for my personal defense.

It is foolish in the present world not to pay attention top one's need to be cautious and ready for personal defense. The state recognizes no obligation to prevent us, as individuals, from being attacked. And it would be delusional to expect it to anyway. The responsibility falls on us individually, and we each need to provide for ourselves in that matter. Nobody else will do it for us. The solution is to get the equipment and training to deal with the problem.

Most martial arts programs are now sports oriented and of questionable value for real defense on the streets. Right now, combative arts like Krav Magra (an Israeli martial art), Kajukenbo (a fusion art which originated in Hawaii but is taught in the lower 48 states and elswhere), Systema (martial art developed for the Soviet special forces), Isgoshindo Karate (developed by US Marines stationed on Okinawa and a little hard to find an instructor for), and Aikijitsu (the mother art out of which came Aikido and Hapkido) are about the easiest non-sport combative arts to find an instructor for and good places to start. Training from combat certified handgun instructors is a must if one wants to use a handgun. And women really need to find classes geared to their rather special defense needs (men rarely have to worry about rape). Since women are generally not taught to be as aggressive in their own defense as men (universally true across cultures), a special program to help a girl or woman to get past that obstacle is a must.

I hope that leaves folks some food for thought.

Forscher

• Sirona
    Sirona

Guns are illegal here (to carry) therefore that isn't an option.

This is a good thread though because people need to be more aware. I never walk in parks / fields on my own. I just don't go there. I read a book called "the jigsaw man" which was true stories of murders and the capture of the killers, and quite a few of these were committed in parks in the daytime.

Since women are generally not taught to be as aggressive in their own defense as men (universally true across cultures), a special program to help a girl or woman to get past that obstacle is a must.

True, but I doubt that would be my problem I'd kick the sh*t out of anyone attacking me (if I was able to!)

Sirona

• carla
    carla

My state is one of the few that don't allow conceal carry, maybe one day when we get our weasel out of the govenors office. I know some ex cops who carry anyway.

• Forscher
    Forscher

My state has a "must issue" concealed carry permit law and recently adopted a "stand and defend" law as well.

So our options for defending ourselves are quite nice here. But that doesn't mean that one should not get training if one does not already have it. My dad was a certified combat handgun instructor, so I have the training in that to begin with. Add to that my youthful martial art training, including with multiple MA weapons, and I am pretty well set. Our law used to put anyone who stood and defended themselves in a bad spot if the police got involved. I even had a friend who did jail time because he defended himself when attacked by a thug wielding a metal pipe. He had the bad grace to break the man's arm. At the time the law required him to turn his back and run when attacked (utterly stupid in that situation).

Now the situation is different. I have a grandson who was attacked by three fellows, one wielding an ax handle, who were attempting to kill him. He did manage to get the handle away and throw it out of reach. I personally heard the police detective who investigated the attempted murder ask him "why didn't just beat those guys to death with that ax handle?" "Under the law as it stands we wouldn't have even filed charges against you!" That is quite a change in the law! And we haven't had the predicted "shootout at the OK corral" scenarios here either.

Still the point is to be proactive and take responsibility for one's own defense. That means being safety conscious.

Forscher

• Robdar
    Robdar

This is an excellent post. Thank you.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

One is encourage to go out in what is called "orange alertness* which means you need to be constantly aware of your surroundings, vigilant, if you see a situation developing have the sense to leave.

I never used to care much for guns but I"m going to learning to shoot one properly, going for self defence classes - I don't want to be a victim - so it's time to step up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit