This could be the end of JWD

by skyking 35 Replies latest social current

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I sent the dingbat the following email:

Dear Rep Couch:

I read here - http://bigheaddc.com/2008/03/10/lawmaker-wants-to-criminalize-anonymous-internet-posts - that you intend on trying to effect new internet laws that would forbid anonymous online posting. You are obviously not well informed of the dangers you are so willing to subject people. There are millions of online forums - many of which discuss deeply personal matters, allowing anonymity. I belong to a forum dedicated to the healing processes involved in leaving a dangerous religious cult. Thousands of people on that forum rely on the fact that angry church leaders, who would excommunicate them and force any other family inside the cult to shun them for life, cannot identify them.

Other forums exist in which private medical matters, political views, and family matters are discussed. Who wants to tell the world, or give them your name so that they can find it out on their own, where you live, how many kids you have, how old they are? Your lack of understanding of the veil that the internet provides honest, decent citizens is appalling.

You are seeking to make hay on a current hot topic - without having any idea the potential damage you are doing!

If we all had to put our letters in the regular mail in see-thru envelopes so that anyone who wants to look could identify when, where, how they could rob us, or rape our children, the mail would dry up. The internet bullies you are trying to stop will just turn into dangerous criminals in possession of scans of information about those who post about private matters.

I must ask - are you a complete idiot?

MY REAL NAME [Please don't come bullying me with this information]

• DocBob
    DocBob

If this bill goes anywhere, we could have an unlikely ally - anonymous free speech was at the center of the WTS argument when they successfully faught the ordinance in Stratton, Ohio. Maybe they would file an friend of the court brief like they did in the Swaggart case.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

This would be a stupid law, and I hope it doesn't pass.

if it were to pass, then they should immediately overturn the Stratton vs.WTBTS case.

I will see what I can find out about Tim Couch as he is in my old home state.

• Honesty
    Honesty

It will mean the end of active JW's who flame ex-JW's on discussion boards as they hide behind pseudonyms because they cringe in fear of the hounders.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Just add "in the state of Kentucky" to most of the posts above.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

With all of the really serious issues going on in the US, this guy is wasting time on such stupidity?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

With all of the really serious issues going on in the US, this guy is wasting time on such stupidity?

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

This is a constitutional issue. It won't go anywhere. Where would this stop? Would book authors who write under a pen name have to now use their real name? Would a prostitute named "Sugar" have to use her real midwestern name "Sarah Marie", much to the horror of her family back in Kansas? Would Client 9 (aka George Fox) have to use his real name "Eliot Spitzer"? would the Watchtower have to quit using anonymous writers and put their real names? Oh, the chaos this could cause ... (all said tongue firmly in cheek)....

another article on this story from a mainstream media source:

http://www.wtvq.com/content/midatlantic/tvq/video.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2008-03-05-0011.html

Here is one telling quote at the end of the article:

Represntative Couch says enforcing this bill if it became law would be a challenge.

no $hit, Sherlock.

Here is this idiot's bio (the email link is an online form, not an email address)...why not let him know what you think?:

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legislator/H090.htm

as always, be nice and polite. Idiots deserve kindness too. Snakes ()

• oldflame
    oldflame
    Couch said he hopes to cut down online bullying

Seems to me he is the one who is the bully because he is trying to bully us out of our constitutional rights to privacy.

• skyking
    skyking
    he is the one who is the bully because he is trying to bully us out of our constitutional rights to privacy

I agree with that statement.

Remember the Bush quote "It's just a Goddamn piece of paper" Bill's like this one. Also HR 1955 and HR 1959s are going to take your rights away. I have written both of my Senators about HR 1959s and HR1955 both told me they were voting in favor.

This means you and I sone will not be able to question anything USA governmental authority from Washington down to the local level without fear of arrest.

One more thought on the Internet. All of the Internet goes through the good old USA's central hub located at Cincinnati Ohio. So the good old USA could shut down the Internet any damn time it wishs you have no protection against that. If it does there is not another country on earth that could get it up and running agian for years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit