Immigration

by Princess Daisy Boo 73 Replies latest jw friends

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

On planet Earth, Canada is a mere 'dot' on the map.

In my neighbourhood, we have many expat SA folks.

I've heard hilarious anecdotes about South African citizens whom married Canadians, and well...some make me double-over with laughter.

Canada.

Not sure if you have a globe; an atlas.

If you see that thing over to the left of Europe across the Atlantic that seems to dominate the upper part of a landmass.

Click on the pink part (we're always depicted in a reddish-pinkish colour).

Geez!

Try this link out if Andorra or Liechtenstein doesn't work out for you:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

Best of luck!

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses everyone and the especially for the offer for help David - it is much appreciated and if we do make a UK move, I will get in touch!

Google Jacob Zuma, South African policy on AIDS, Crime Statistics, Loadshedding and you will get an idea of just a few of the challenges we face, but mostly I am keen to leave because of the crime.

Layla - I know what you are trying to say, but I really do believe that there is more to the problems that we are experiencing than simply teething problems of a new democracy and unless you are living in the thick of it you will not understand.

Lou - My family are born and bred Souf Effrikens but my husbands late dad was Irish and his sister is already a UK citizen - should moved to the UK 8 years ago on an ancestral visa. His other sister lives in Oz. We have friends who moved to NZ last year and it was a relatively easy process. They are totally settled there now!

Thanks for the tip Rayzor - I will read up "aboot" Canada - I dont know any Xpats in Canada, but you lot on JWD seem nice enough, I might just give it some thought!

Love

Boo

• Layla33
    Layla33
    South Africa is stunningly beautiful and our people are beautiful - not eveyone is a criminal but there are a growing number of those.

This statement baffles me!

You say your country is beautiful, but the criminals are growing everyday. I guess my question isn't it really that the hands of criminality have changed? I mean when was this elusive time when South Africa was such a great place without violence? I mean tens of thousands of black native indigenous people were being killed, imprisoned and beat on a regular basis, so much so that the international community condemned you! The issue I have with your remarks is not that people are suffering in South Africa, but the fact that you are acting like it is new. Apartheid was such a crime against humanity with hate and bloodshed it will be remembered for centuries. These people had no where to run. When you talk about the news not giving a real and authentic analysis of what is going on, pray tell, please tell us? Can you do it without being racial? Can you give an honest analysis of the true extent of what is going on?

What I think is happening is the so-called protected people of South Africa that flourished with the best of the best are now having the reality put in their faces. You "progressed" while people lived in shacks without running water, without electricity, pooping in streets, denied access to certain places, beat/killed/raped, the majority of indigenous people suffered, nothing like you are suffering now mind you, because it was one way, "whites" had the control, had the privileges, lived in the luxury and others had nothing. Shanty houses regularly torn down to shreds. Have your house been bulldozed this week? Do you still have running water? Still have internet access? Own your own company? I want to feel for you and on some levels I do, because it must be a serious wake up call that your luxury of privileged color status is now over. And I wish I could say it started with Apartheid, honestly whites have been creating hell for the indigenous blacks for far longer, you think 15 years is going to undo it? You think some people aren't raging mad to have watched their brothers and sisters generationally broken down systematically? Of course they are. Now yes there needs to be a peaceful solution with all people having a buy in. But this is these people ancestral home, their land, and unlike you, they can't run, they are connected to it in ways that someone who is an immigrant or a child of an immigrant is not. What you need to realize is that your privilege status of color is now over, the native people have to get past their anger and you know what, that may take another generation to do, that's honest talk.

Think about Indians, Asians, South Americans, who have all gone through the same pains. Kicking out colonization and white supremacy and finding a sense of self. If you are calling another place your ancestral home and you have allegiance to it, I honestly believe that South Africa is not the place for you because you have no real connection to it in a way that needs to be for a better future. Immigration to your ancestral land is the best thing. People that really want change, and really are connected to the betterment of South Africa even with the woes are the ones who need to stay. And for the most part that is the indigenous people.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Layla - you're baffled easily then. Trust you to read into that statement - please show me if I mentioned colour there??? Please?? - I'm not going further with this because once again you've totally totally come up something else - I honestly haven't even read your most of your post - as soon as you bought up the racial issue ....

I don't care whether criminals are white,black, yellow, pink, purple, man, woman or child!!!!!!!!! The fact is that there is a growing number of criminals.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith

Jeeze Layla please back off a bit. My kids are in school and they don't even see colour! The problems South Africa is facing is CRIME not because of backround but because of a lack of good leadership in this country. You are so intent on bring up the past, you don't live here. What would you do if your child was raped by a black man because he has been told by his witch doctor that it cures AIDS. The govenment is turning a blind eye to all sorts of disgusting violent crimes against women and children OF ALL COLOUR.

There are criminals of all races here because in South Africa CRIME PAYS. Not enough is been done by our very corupt govenment to educate it's people. You speak of people living in shacks, the deputy president spends millions of tax payers money on a holiday with her family. How many homes could that have built? The problem is no longer apartheid the problem here is greed.

Yes aprartheid was an absolute crime agains humanity. Why do our children and by our children I mean ALL South African children have to pay for it?

These thugs have taken over our country and you know what they are not even all South Africans! There was a Russian druglord shot outside of his luxury home. The Chinese are having a field day here and so are the Nigerians. Why do you think so many criminals are making South Africa their home? Cause the officials are easily bribed and so is our govenment.

So Layla I appriciate that you have compasion for the native South Africans, but you don't know the ins and outs of living here. You are coming across as very judgemental on a topic you have a lot of pasion for but not many facts.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

Layla

Is is not you who is constantly putting a racial twist this subject each time you respond?

Answer me these questions and then we can talk:

1. Can a country be successfully run by a man who is a fraudster?

2. Can the crime situation be dealt with and fixed by a man who himself is involved in the criminal underworld (Google Jackie Selebe if you like?)

3. Can the AIDS crisis be averted by feeding people Garlic and Potatoes and Olive Oil and denying the cause of this Virus?

I am speaking for myself here, but I suspect Loubelle too when I say this:

I was just a young child in the 80's and 90's and I did not personally commit any of the atrocities that occured in this country. I am not a spoiled rich white woman, bitter because the easy life before during apartheid is gone. I am just a woman trying to make a life for myself and my family. I do not consider any other country to be my home and I do not have any allegiance to any other country except South Africa, but I am not a political activist and never will be. I am a wife and a mother and if ensuring the safety of my family means moving to another country, well then that is what I will have to do.

• Mrs Smith
    Mrs Smith
    I am not a spoiled rich white woman, bitter because the easy life before during apartheid is gone. I am just a woman trying to make a life for myself and my family. I do not consider any other country to be my home and I do not have any allegiance to any other country except South Africa, but I am not a political activist and never will be. I am a wife and a mother and if ensuring the safety of my family means moving to another country, well then that is what I will have to do.

Amen sister

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Daisy Boo & Mrs Smith - Layla I think gets a bit frustrated with me because of the last thread I started.

Totally agree with you Daisy Boo & Mrs. Smith - it's easy for outsiders to point and say this or that but when you don' live here it's another story - I mean I couldn't speak out about the situations re Bushs' strategy on his war becasue 1. I don't live there 2. I don't have all the facts. I may show an interest but only those that live there could tell me whats going on (besides doing my own research)

Again Layla my comment didn't even slightly imply colour.

• Layla33
    Layla33

LouBelle - I am responding to your first statement in response to me, if you didn't take the time to read what I wrote then, what is the issue of your remarks?? My response is just about keeping your remarks in context of the entire jest of South Africa. Where has there not been corruption in your country? I am just asking, yes as an outsider, but someone who has been there more than once and here's another tidbit I was married to an West African (by way of his father) man, so I have spent a good amount of time in Africa and have a huge amount of African friends.

If you miss the point on my condemning all the corruption in your country, you are wrong. What I am trying to do is to show that people have been suffering in the millions for a very long time, what is different now? That's my point.

MrsSmith - If you children don't see color that's a good thing, never did I say that corruption doesn't exist there is a lot of it. I have spoken with many South Africans, not just the very small representation here and I would pointedly say that every one of you that are responding are whites or ones that have a drop of "colored" blood like LouBelle, I would like for there to be some of the indigenous native Africans of South Africa to get on this discussion because I truly believe their perspective would be quite different than yours. Not that they wouldn't agree that corruption needs to stop, but just in general the small tangents of remarks that you make. If I had never been there, if I had never spent time there, if I had not had many friends from there, I would not participate in this discussion at all. I am trying to give the other side of this coin and there needs to be a fair representation of why things are the way they are in South Africa. If you refuse to see the why, then you can never get to the fixing part.

Everyone can sit around all day and point fingers at everyone else, tell me what is the point in that. And as I can clearly read this topic was about "immigration" to a person's ancestral land, is it not? That right there says something also about the differences of South Africans in whom they are and their connection to the country. I had a few white South Africans who told me flat out that the majority of South Africans do not consider themselves "African", they consider themselves white/Afrikaans/European and that is why they speak their own language and socialize the way they do. Nothing I saw when I visited suggested otherwise.

Princess Daisy Boo - Every time there has been a subject regarding South Africa from the few of you that are here, race is the backdrop to your criticisms. I could copy and paste all day, but I have better things to do. Honestly, it was getting a bit much to read and whether you know it or not, people can be offended by you making it this black white things. NOW when I finally had enough and called LouBelle on it, she tried to retract her statements a bit and be fair. That's good to me, be fair, realize that it is not so this and that, but many different sides in a county that has been pretty corrupt dehumanizing others for almost a century, and that is before the legalization of Apartheid, because that hatred was happening before that.

Answers to your questions:

1) Your country can never be run by a fraud, whether that person is black or white or asian or hispanic. The corruption in your country goes very deep with a lot of different issues regarding it. Making sweeping pronouncements on a complex problem does a disservice to the true issues in South Africa. What are your solutions to this problem?

2) The crime situation can never be fixed by a criminal, and it has never been fixed by criminals. The progress has to come from all groups of people whatever color having a buy in. South Africans native people need to feel that they are empowered. Just like people in India needed a Ghandi to feel empowered, a lot of what is going on has to do with finding the right leaders and that may take some time. From going from a hand of racist criminals, it has created a lot of opportunist based on hate, frustration and greed. It happens all over Africa and actually all over the world. "The race of man is suffering and I can hear the moan."

3) The HIV/AIDS issue is something I can't fully discuss at this time because there are a lot of theories and ideas about the cause and the cure. I can tell you this NO ONE yet can cure it and no one yet can conclusively say 100% how it is caused. There are a lot of theories and I have actually studied quite a few, I have African intellectuals in my former family, as well as friends, who have lived on the land for generations and we are still in contact, so this is a good topic, one that can't be solved in a forum like this, just discussed in fragments of opinions.

Again, what are you solutions? If running away is your solution and going back to your ancestral land, then let's honestly talk about how and why you can do it and why so many can't and why this can contribute to the breakdown between the population and their buy in for a solution.

You may not like my opinions, but I am entitled to them, just like you. There are many voices and perspective of the South African landscape that are not represented in your views and I want to at least try to give that in my remarks.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I don't know about England. Too cold & super high cost of living & lots of radical Muslims. I don't know about Austrailia. Warmer & don't know about cost of living & not as many radical Muslims I don't know about New Zealand. Beautiful, vacation spot. But, can you find a job?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit