maybe i'm in the wrong place?

by sustainedhaze 46 Replies latest members private

• real one
    real one

belief in God is not a fairy tale. the jw mix truth with lies its simple as that...everything they teach is not wrong

• sustainedhaze
    sustainedhaze

Many thanks to all the respones, each and everyone, surprised me to see so many in such a short time! Like many of you expressed, I am still learning and exploring, but have felt the "JW hangover" for sure. Look forward to contributing to the forum as much as my under-devoloped brain will allow, and to perhaps helping others who are going through what so many of have. Peace, s.haze

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I started out questioning the doctrine and wound up questioning the Bible.
    I got to the point where I realized the Bible was man's word, ALL religion is a snare
    and a racket. I lean toward disbelief in a God who could take me at my lowest
    point when I reached out for help, and let me get taken by a mind-control cult.
    If He is there, I am still mad at him for that.

But good people still believe. If I was wrong about my belief for 2 decades, who
    am I to say I am right now, and they are wrong? I like Zen for the outlook and
    may one day take that up, but not any religious aspect of it.

happy to replace one fairy tale dogma with another

I tend to agree with that statement, but it has to be personal.
    I cannot replace the beliefs I had with another religion, but others can.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I am a Christian....( if this is repeated I am sorry I answered you & it disappeared. LOL)

I do not have a religion I have a relationship with MY GOD! Jesus!!!!!! the Creator of the Heaven & Earth, along with his Father !!!! Also the Holy Spirit.....
    There are not to many Christians on here. But they "put up with "some" of us.... But on occasions they chuck rocks ( only kidding )

Welcome to the board

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Welcome sustainedhaze.

I am - currently - an atheist.

I currently cannot see a good reason to believe in a God. I have no trouble leaving a window open though.

Sure - I actually understand why some (most) people find it hard not to believe. They probably have a 'hunch' that God exists. This 'hunch' or 'gut feeling' probably comes as a result of a compound impression in their subconscious of the intricacy, complexity and beauty of life and the universe and things like music and art, which makes the subconscious (and conscious) conclude that there has to be a higher Cause. They may even have spiritual experiences. I unfortunately currently think all those things have natural explanations. It is not always the most intuitive conclusion to reach, which is exemplified by the fact that we've believed in some kinds of Gods for tens of thousands of years. But with my current knowledge, it is still the conclusion I have reached.

I am sure of my current view, but at the same time, I know I've been dogmatic because of lack of information before, and so I'm weary of being dogmatic now. But in my posts here, I will defend my current view, until something substantial comes along that makes me think otherwise.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I wasn't raised a JW. I was raised with a very healthy viewpoint of religion and God. My parents never used religion or God to scare or control us children. We were allowed to go to other churches and explore eastern philosophies, etc. I have never been an atheist. I was agnostic as a teen for a few years.

The great thing about leaving the JW way of thinking is that I am quite happy not having all the answers. I don't have to know absolute truths. And I really don't think humans are meant to know absolute truth.

As I was explaining to JKZappaDaddio last night: the world was huge, complex and mysterious before I was poisoned by the JW's. Then they reduced it to a small, mundane, cold, heartless world. I used to long for the world of my childhood, warts and all. Now, I have that world back and I am very happy about it. I believe in a great spirit or god, but mine is a universal one that benefits all.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

One thing I have noticed is that people who are raised as JW's seem to become atheists more easily than those of us who were not raised as JWs. When the only God you are handed is as evil as the JW God or the Fundy god of fundy christians and muslims, then it would make sense to give up on gods all together.

• triplestrength
    triplestrength

I'm an athiest but I do believe in people who believe in themselves.

I also feel that whatever people believe in is fine as long as they do not annoy others with it.

• exjdub
    exjdub
    90 percent of people here are atheists and the few that still believe in the bible are usually ridiculed and called childish names.

And the few quote scripture that says you are a "fool" or that you are "going to hell" and then when you call them on it say: "I am not saying it, the Bible is"

exjdub

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Since leaving the witness faith and looking into others I've come to the conclusion that all religion is pretty much the same - everyone believes their way and religion has the truth. I've chosen to take myself out of religion totally. I read a broad spectrum of books, I listen to many people and whatever resonates with me (because only I truly know what I need) I take that little bit of info and keep it.

I am a spiritual person but have no affiliations - I walk my own path led by my higher self and the Light.

At the moment I'm enjoying Tibet Buddhism - I am enthralled by their philosophy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit