maybe i'm in the wrong place?

by sustainedhaze 46 Replies latest members private

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I'm an atheist, ordained by the Church of the Sub-Genius as "Pastor Muscle" of the "First Church of Man Without Gods".

Our services are brief. We ONLY pass the collection plate. After that, you are free to go.

Won't you come wor$hip with us?

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

I am also atheist.

• yumbby
    yumbby

I'm an atheist.

• Maddie
    Maddie

All I know for sure is that no religious organisation has the "Truth".

Maddie

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm not a theist, and I just might be a little bit of a skeptic on topics not natural. I seem to lack special knowledge on many subjects, so that may make me agnostic in those areas.

A good friend, a sage, told me once to read point, counterpoint. That if I didn't know enough about a topic to debate both sides with equal competency, I didn't know enough about the subject to be talking about it at all. So when I read the Bible, he asked me to read The Age of Reason, Holy Blood, Holy Grail, and The Messianic Legacy before he'd discuss religion with me.

He told me I couldn't learn if I think I know. He said I must research until I become confused, and then I can learn. I've found that to be true.

Now I don't look for "truth", I look for objective reality. My key to that has been the questioning of my own assumptions. My core beliefs were flawed and my understanding of the English language was insufficient. The limits on my thinking are imposed by my vocabulary. I can't think through concepts when I don't know the words that relate to those concepts.

• Carmel
    Carmel

How long have you been studiing other religions and faiths? How many? One needs to be careful extrapolating from a limited number of reference points! Sinora has a point! There a lot of options other than the biblical god and no god at all.

carmel

• Satanus
    Satanus

You're right, religions don't have it right. Niether do the atheists. Only i have it right, and i ain't tellin what it is ;)

S

Ps, if you can have a good life, having the right belief isn't that important.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Satanus: I've been your secret disciple for years. Thank you for the mystery. ;-)

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

The JWs turned me off the bible, though I still like some parts of the Jesus story, his loving kindness and all, but that all seems so far removed to do with the Org. I even stand to hear people quote the bible anymore. I do like to read some inspirational material, nothing dogmatic , just good thoughts and mind expanding ideas and theories about the universe and such. There's a lot out there and I feel it's best not to limit it to dogmatic viewpoints. I do believe the truth about the JWs has set me free (the truth being that they don't have the truth.)

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

The ol' JW hangover - labels and judgement. Searching for certainty. Raise yer flag and show yer colors! Friend or foe? For us or against us?

I hope, but I doubt. Gotta live with it.

If you gave someone roughly a thousand pages to tell the most important story in the world, even if you spotted them 999 pages of backstory, wouldn't you think they could take at least one page to deliver the meat of the message?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit