How many here are using Vista?

by dinah 38 Replies latest jw friends

• knock knock
    knock knock

Vista on a laptop and a desktop. Video editing programs I already had aren't supported in vista and won't be. So I suppose that's not really a vista problem but they could have made it work with programs only a version or two past! Had to switch to lesser programs and deal with their issues & quirks. Winders Media won't play mpgs nor wmv on my desktop. THAT sucks when you try to play back video edits.

I wish I could go back to XP but there are a ton of issues in doing that as well. All in all I'm learning to adjust and have decided that there will NEVER be a computer built that JUST WORKS. Ain't gonna happen.

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh, it's getting better and better.

The cut and paste thing here - yes, doesn't work. So if you're JC Cannon, you may want to reconsider.

One thread that does not work for me is the first page of the Ouija board thread - it does weird things.

Things are getting more and more compatable. I like it/ I hate it/ but I'd certainly buy it again.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I love Vista. Yes, the annoying pop-ups asking if you are sure you want to do something suck. And the security is tighter. But, I have no problem at all cutting and pasting anything. That's odd to me. Also, I love the "snipping" tool.

• 5go
    5go
    I've had it with MS my next computer will be a Mac...

Same here! I still will most likely build a Vista Machine. Which will rival a Cray XMT in power, and still be slow as hell.

• brinjen
    brinjen

Yep, I upgraded to Vista nearly a year ago, then went back to XP, back to Vista, back to XP, struggling to keep Vista at the moment, considering going back to XP again.

I've had driver compibility issues, my HP PSC 1610 (scanner & printer) doesn't want to scan under Vista, software keeps crashing. A TV tuner card I bought that said on the box "Vista Certified" didn't work, wound up selling it and buying a second hand card that actually does work. It's crashed on me more times than I care to remember.

My favourite "pet hate" is how it has to sit there for a minute and figure out how long it will take to copy a 2Mb file.

I've got a reasonable system too, an AMD Athlon 64 bit dual core 4800 processor, 3GB of RAM, GeForce 8600GT graphics, why is it so slow? I hear 3D gamers aren't very happy with it either, it struggles for a decent frame rate in games like Crysis even with the latest graphics card and drivers.

I recently got a Mac, just a cheapie Powermac G4 350Mhz. Very pleasantly suprised, I'm amazed at what it can do. Seriously considering crossing over to them, probably around tax time later this year.

• 5go
    5go
    I recently got a Mac, just a cheapie Powermac G4 350Mhz. Very pleasantly suprised, I'm amazed at what it can do. Seriously considering crossing over to them, probably around tax time later this year.

I have to say what the hell is going on over there as MS? Do they really think they have it so locked that known of us can just switch over to Mac or Linux if they can't or won't fix their crap. XP wasn't all that and Vista is a Beta test phase maybe even an Alpha test phase XP as far as the bugs that got through to the end user. They need to fire who ever cleared Vista for the public. That includes Bill.

• brinjen
    brinjen

To give an idea about what I mean about being impressed with the Mac, I've had it encoding video was well as playing a DVD full screen. It kept up with the 25fps of the DVD (Pal standard) while encoding the video in the background (admittedly very slowly but we are only talking 350Mhz here), never missed a beat, DVD playback was completely smooth the whole way.

I also have an old PII 350 Mhz system, which has a much better graphics card as the Mac, same amount of RAM, running Win 98 that can't play the DVD at anymore than 17-18 fps just by itself. Very jerky and unstable. The DVD burner is not even two years old, works fine in any other system, cables been checked too.

Macs really are much more powerful systems (with multimedia at least which is what I mostly use my computer for anyway).

• VM44
    VM44

Vista is the future.

Also, Windows XP was stopped being sold June 30th I believe.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I have a love-hate relationship with Windows Vista. I absolutely hated it when it first came out. Way too restrictive. I couldn't do the simple things that I did in Windows XP. I formatted and installed Windows XP. A year later, the service pack 1 came out and decided to give it another try and it seemed alot friendlier. I'm still using Vista and I'm comfortable with the new patches to make it my permanent OS.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I've got a great vista...

Desktop Wallpapers · Gallery · Nature 
 Cades Cove Sun Rise Great Smoky Mountains - Tennessee

Oh, you meant that OS from Silly Billy.

It sux.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit