What's The Worst Thing An Elder or Elders Did To You?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• raxxxx
    raxxxx

When I was a teen and had an ilness which caused me to be hyper sensitive to light so I couldn't leave my house for 2 months so therefore I was not able to do any ministry and did not report anything. When I finally got back to meetings (no one called or asked what is going on for 2 months - christian love my arse) and elder comes up to me and asks why I did not report anything.. I explained myself and what was his response ? 'Well next time let us elders know and we can take you out when it's dark, or maybe just take an umbrella to protect yourself from sunlight or maybe sunglasses?' at that point I walked off.

Also multiple occasions when I was unbaptized publisher and opinion or statement of a baptized person was taken over mine even though they were lying.

And not being able to get batized because I was not out in the ministry with an elder for couple of month. Went through questions and then a week before by supposed batism they come over and announce that they are really sorry but (due to their lack of integrity and stupidity) because they haven't been out with me in the ministry in a long time they can not let me get baptized. I was really close to punching one of them when they came over to me at the assembly he tried to tap me on my arm and called me buddy and started talking some bullshit. My dad noticed my fist slowly rising to deck him and told me to go and talk to mum and defused the situation. Still wish I punched that idiot (elder not my dad)

• Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

When I was in my early teens, an elder came up to me after the meeting and informed me that he had started what was something like a "pioneer training class" for the youth. What he was doing was getting verbal commitments from young people to dedicate their three months of school summer vacation to putting in regular pioneer hours. He would take personal interest in the group, encourage them, and help instruct them in door-to-door ministry. The question wasn't really a question at all, as was so many other things in JW life. There was no real choice. You could either do it voluntarily, or be guilt-tripped into doing it involuntarily. I wanted no part of this as I already has plans during summer to stay at one of my cousin's house out in the countryside and help on the farm. When I immediately told him no, he seemed to be taken aback and didn't expect such a quick and negative response. This was immediatley reported to my dad, which as always, inflamed the situation even more. My plans for the summer were overruled, and I had to join this BS arrangement. The fact that I didn't want to did not matter to anyone. So I very reluctantly started walking to the Hall every morning (my house was only two blocks away) and reported for duty. A few of my friends and young adults were also "enrolled", so I always made arrangements to join them in service. These were the guys who would go on "Not-At-Homes", Return Visits, laundry mats, and basically everything that required the least amount of time at the door. Soon word was circulated that I was "goofing off" during service, and so this particular elder took me directly under his wing. I was always assigned to his group or one of the pioneers. He made me feel his wrath at my reluctance to join the group in the first place. We always did straight territory, and he made me talk at every door. We had no coffee breaks, and often we'd be out until late afternoon. I never liked field service before, but this made me really despise it. Once school was over, he called me and my father into the back room. He stated his belief that I was very weak spiritually and that just because I was back in school, I should keep at it hard. That pretty much took away all my weekends for the next few months.

• Intel
    Intel

I was a Bethel elder and appointed to assist the circuit overseer in "special cases" (> "wrong doings" of Bethelites and child abuse). I didn't wanted to participate in a specially gruesome judicial committee and was forced to participate. It took 4 hours of "hearings" involving multiple young kids of one congregation. I couldn't sleep for days, had the feeling of being sick all the time and CANNOT forget that night....

....my conscience and "something" inside of me was broken. After that I started to withdraw myself from judicial matters, avoiding more and more "my elder responsabilities" and started to actually work against the BORG.

• myusername
    myusername

@VanillaMocha73, elders abuse their families too. That's probably why they ignore it.

• NCO
    NCO

When I was a teenager (14-15 or so) some Barney Fife type elder moved to our congregation which was already a hate-filled place to begin with. As the oldest teen in the congo and the son of a prominent elder, I was a 50 meter target for him and he made it his life's mission to go after me in order to play politics in the body of elders against my dad.

He spent years spreading rumors about me in both our congregation as well as the neighboring congregations even though at the time I was trying my hardest to be a good JW. I lost my best friend and many other friends.

For a long time, I was called into elders meetings literally every Thursday night to get bitched at for stuff I didn't do and for reasons that were never backed up by any hard evidence. I learned too late not to ask for specifics. Saying "Brother so-and-so, just tell me what it was specifically that I did so that I can not do it again" was met with anger and lecturing.

It came to a head one summer Sunday when I was 19 and auxiliary pioneering. My dad got called to a special elders meeting and was nearly waterboarded. He came home and didn't say a word about it. Finally the next day he couldn't hold it in any more and just let it all out while we were at work. I would stop at the Post Office to pick up mail while in service. Apparently that was a mortal sin. I listened to "worldly music" and the grand tin-foil-hat conspiracy theory was that I had 2 collections of music; one that my parents knew of and another that was secret. I had "worldly friends". And the greatest of all, I was up to something but the persecuting elder just didn't know exactly what.

Yes I did stop at the Post Office to pick up mail. I didn't count the time. I was raised to be very meticulous about counting time. It took all of 5 minutes if that but I didn't count it.

Yes I listened to worldly music. 80's hair bands were and are my favorites. My parents knew every tape in my collection. My dad thought Def Leppard's one-armed drummer was very cool. There was no secret collection. Because I removed every "worldly" music tape from my car before going in service with the persecuting elder, that constituted reasonable and articulable suspicion on his part for making the accusation.

The "worldly friends" accusation came from the fact that I got along with nearly everyone in high school. While the JW kids shunned me (thanks to the persecuting elder) I got more invites to parties and everything else from the evil wicked mean and nasty kids in high school than from my fellow JW's. Therefore, I was the one in the wrong.

And the whole "up to something" was pure bovine excrement. This particular jacked up d-bag elder actually went so far as to try and follow me around town. Stupid move on his part as he drove an old van loaded down with carpet cleaning equipment and I drove a rather powerful sedan made when Mopar actually meant something.

That one meeting was the beginning of my exit. The elder who met with my family to "apologize" (if you can call it that) basically said that I had to just suck it up and drive on and that no damage control would be done.

I look back now at all that crap as an NCO and try to learn how not to treat people. I guess I have the JW's to thank for making me a better platoon sergeant.

• Fernando
    Fernando

@myusername.

My wife's older brother raped her for 7 years from the age of 6 (several decades ago). This started when the family was recruited to the Watchtower, and was aided by their mother who also coached my wife to lie to a medical practitioner who became suspicious.

More recently his daughter has also been repeatedly raped but declines to identify by whom. He has been an elder for many years and continues to serve as such. When I put pressure on him to put matters right and stop my wife's mother from relentlessly and venomously blaming and attacking her for what they had done, he and his mother turned around and accused me of the incestuous rape of my daughter.

One can but wonder what sort of corruption and perversion he gets up to in star chamber JC hearings involving female victims of sexual abuse, or females who have had sex outside of marriage. I'll bet the offender somehow gets off every time and the victim sits with all the blame.

This is largely what the WBT$ is secretly all about. A pedophile paradise with most of the pedophiles in the ruling religious hierarchy where they are generously provided with all the power, authority and glory they need to continue plying their trade and "selling" their "services" to the weak, vulnerable and voiceless.

• Pitchess Co-Gen
    Pitchess Co-Gen

The worst thing an "elder" ever did to me was in 2008. I was in one congregation, but I wanted to return to my home congregation because I've been reproved there twice ( once private and the last one public ). When I came into this congregation in 2007 I thought I was going to move up the food chain ( this congregation was full of older people, so I thought I would move up faster ). but I got into some trouble in the congregation. When the last reprove happened everybody changed up on me, so I said you know what I'm gonna go back to my old congregation. This is where the story and the "elders" there get very corrupt; I've been at my old congregation for about 7 months the P.O came up to me out in service he said: Hey Pitchess the "elders" in so & so congregation never sent your publisher card . I said oh I'll just go there and talk to the brothers. "

When I went there the "elders" made it seem that they forgot to send my card and it was all one big misunderstanding . Ok now two months go by, and still no publisher card. I found out over time that the "alpha" elder thought I went back to my old congregation because I "running" from judical reprove", so it became one congregation against the other. In the end beat the "alpha" , and got my card to my new congregation.

There's way more to this story. I'll tell it later.

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

called me Kevey, I could kill for that

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

An elder told my 7 months pregnant sister her baby would die at Armageddon if she didn't return to her mentally abusive husband, also her mother, father & siblings would have to shun her or also die at the big A.

• elderelite
    elderelite

The worst thing an elder ever did to me....

Utter the phrase: "i now pronounce you man and wife"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit