Family shunning

by LunaFing 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    This is my first time in a discussion forum. I'm an ex-JW who hasn't "officialy" left the religion because I'm afraid my family will shun me. I've been "inactive" for 10 years. My Mom has started threating me with shunning.

I never liked discussion forums before this one. I am an ex-JW who hasn't officially left for
    the same reason, but just for my mother's sake. I have an aunt, uncle, and cousin who are
    JW, but we never talk anyway. I have been inactive for only 1 year. My mother still talks to
    me, no problem.

It's bizarre that she suddenly has this desire to shun you. I know it comes from recent information
    to the members from the leaders. Still, you are not disfellowshipped. Remind her of that, tell
    her you are a member in good standing, but have no desire to come back. Say that you have
    not been in front of a judicial committee for any sins, and if Jehovah wanted you to be shunned, he
    would arrange such a thing so that your family and any people who love you can treat you like
    fertilizer with a clear directive from the leaders in Brooklyn.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I am in your boat. I have not attended in months and months and I have not been in service for about 12 years. My wife has family in the tower and so for her sake I have not shared my feelings with them...or with her for that matter. She is not a great witness, she is just TERRIFIED of losing her daddy. He is one of a handful of witnesses that actually puts more stock into the bible than the literature. So, I don't make waves for my wife's peace of mind. Welcome to the board and hit me up anytime on private message if you wanna chat.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

It sucks. And faking it is too hard, esp when they want to quiz you on a recent WT article. We're all in the same boat, some have had to maintain a facade, and others-myself included- have called fraud and shennanigans on the whole mess and disassociated officially, and as a result have lost our families to their hateful religion. They say it's our choice to have no family, but it isn't, it's their choice to obey human words masquerading as God's words.

We're in a sad place because we miss our parents, friends, sisters, brothers, but it's not a life, what we were as JWs, and we must be true to self because real peace lies in that.

• loosie
    loosie

welcome Lunafing. I:m sorry to hear what your mom has said to you. that is called emtional balckmail.

Do you have any children? you could always say if you aren't going to talk to me than I guess you aren't going to talk to your grandchildren.

This shunning thing goes both ways

• journey-on
    journey-on

LunaFing

So sorry you will have to go through this. But, there is nothing you can do. They believe this way and there's not

a thing you can do about it. No amount of explanation and argument can persuade them otherwise because they

believe in their poor little brainwashed minds that this is showing you the ultimate "love" and only by their sick and

twisted methods can you be persuaded to come back into the fold. It is truly heartbreaking and nonsensical.

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

Thank you all for being so understanding! I'm so glad I found this site. I carry a lot of emotional baggage because of this religion. Thanks again to all of you!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

No, it's not fair. When I left I missed my sisters and brother so bad, after a couple years I went back and got reinstated. That only lasted a couple months cause I couldn't stand it. My stepmom made me realize that eventually it would come full circle, and it did. It took awhile, but they all got out!!

shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit