Not interested in marriage/romance?

by LtCmd.Lore 46 Replies latest jw friends

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Okay, so the site is full of people talking about their husbands, wives, girlfriends, boyfriends, ex-wives, ex-husbands, ex-girlfriends and ex-boyfriends, childhood crushes, current crushes, future crushes, favorite positions, etc.

By the very nature of rejecting marriage, there's very rarely an occasion to voice our disinterest in romance. We just kind of sit their silently while everyone else talks about their sexual and romantic preferences.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here, so how about it?
    How many of you are simply not interested in, or are opposed too, romance, sex and/or marriage? And maybe: What do you think made you feel that way?

Lore - W.W.S.D?

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

LtCmd.Lore~ Well it is kind of like Being a JW. I can talk about it. But perhaps its just not for me. Maybe there are many like that?

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

It is possible to be for romance and sex but not for marriage. Or for sex and marriage but not for romance. Or for just sex and no romance or marriage. Or just for marriage and no sex or romance. Well, you get my drift....

I am curious to know why you ruled out all three as if they automatically all go together?

Cog

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'm a lot older than you are, although by no means over the hill. However, my main feeling is been there, done that. Did the JW no sex thing. Went kind of nuts when I left the org. and did the sleeping with strangers thing. Which was a lot of fun, by the way, although really risky. Eventually came to my senses, dated one person at a time. Got married. Nice for a while, then a disaster. So now, I don't want sex, romance, or marriage. What would I like? Someone who likes road trips. Someone who likes to see the sights. Someone who doesn't smoke or drink or eat a lot of high-calorie food. Someone who knows stuff, is interesting. Someone who wants to hang out for a while, but then go home to his own house. Not bloody likely, eh?

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    I am curious to know why you ruled out all three as if they automatically all go together?

I didn't intend too. Notice I said: "How many of you are simply not interested in, or are opposed too, romance, sex and/ormarriage?"

You can have one without the others, or two without one.

You can be interested in marriage and romance, but not sex.

You can be interested in sex, but not romance or marriage.

You can be interested in romance and sex, but not marriage.

And so on...

Personally, I'm not interested in any of the three. But I don't think they are necessarily interdependent. (They are generally connected, but it's not required.)

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

darn it Hortensia, if it werent for the smoking and high calorie food part, I'd be your man-LOL

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Someone who wants to hang out for a while, but then go home to his own house. Not bloody likely, eh?

I've got my first apartment alone. I am 49. I do share it with my eleven year old grandson. But there's a certain freedom in not having to worry about a man getting upset with me over things. Things like having insomnia and keeping the tv on at night. Or leaving dishes in the sink til morning. It's nice to choose what I want to watch on TV or listen to on the radio. It's nice not to have two grouchy adults in the house.

I don't want to share my home with another man, unless he's very, very tolerant and his moods are pretty easygoing and even. And I think I want my own bedroom. He could have his own bedroom. I'm not saying I wouldn't ever let him spend the night in my room, I just like having privacy at night. Not worrying about my snoring or reading with a dim light and not being concerned I'll keep Mr. Handsome awake. You know?

I like romance, but how many guys are romantic? Realistically? Most of them would rather brood and feel bad for themselves because they can't have a haram or be with an 18 year old. And even if they could do that, they'd not be romantic with the kiddies either.

I'm not saying that men aren't romantic ever, or sweet ever, or easy to live with ever. It's just so hard to find.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

well, gosh junction-guy, that's too bad. Not negotiable, though, LOL! FHN, during some of the best years of my marriage my husband had his own room and his own bathroom at the other end of the house. His room was a disaster, but I never had to go in there, and I could keep my room the way I liked. Somehow we got along really well when we visited each other at one end of the house or the other, usually my end which was cleaner, neater, and prettier.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here, here to Hortensia to separate bedrooms. I always would go sleep on the sofa in the end. I still love curling up into a cacoon on the sofa.

But I still want the passionate kisses. Whooaa. Passionate kisses from him, whomever he is. Any volunteers? I'm a not so bad lookin', plump, seasoned, but still spicy, laid back middle aged mamma/nanna. We'll visit at night, then you can go sleep at your house. Come back over for coffee in the morning. Bring your guitar and we'll look out the window at the fur trees, frozen pond and snow while you play. On second thought, you can have coffee, lately I've been enjoying hot tea with milk and cream again.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I'm opposed to marriage because it's archaic and has a very poor success rate, and so does living together. Let's face it, roommates get awfully irritating after a while. I'm not against romance, but why does everyone seem to think that they must live together to prove their love? I like my privacy and freedom to come and go whenever I please. It's complicated with a roommate especially when envolved in a romance with said roommate. There is that sense of ownership the comes with live in lovers. Live ins that aren't married have three times the rate of domestic violence than do married people. Too many control issues for my taste. I am not against romance so long as it doesn't interfere with my privacy and freedom. I would love to have a romantic relationship with someone, just not live with anyone. Too close is not good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit