Where do you hide your apostate literature?

by Hiddenwindow 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Isn't this amazing... adults, who live in countries that prescribe democracy, are forced to live as if they were in a totalitarian state by a religious body that promises freedom!

That's exactly what made me get serious about leaving the cult at any cost. It wasn't books, it was smoking. One day on my way to work, at 45 years of age, I lit a cigarette, but only after looking back over my shoulder to see if any JWs were around. I felt like a naughty 12 year old schoolboy and immediately felt ashamed that I had allowed anyone to have that measure of control over me. I resolved to leave the cult, and anyone I lost as a result was not worth keeping in my life.

I have my "apostate" books on my bookshelf, and don't care who sees them.

W

• Confession
    Confession

Get this: I used to live alone, and I still hid them! My 17 year old daughter would come over sometimes, but they were ALWAYS hidden...just in case. I used to have cleaning ladies come in, and--even though I had no thought that they could be JWs--you could never be too sure. Or (my mind wondered) what if they're NOT JWs, but they know someone who is..and they tell THEM about the books they saw in my apartment?

Outaservice was the guy who sent me shipment after shipment of books and cassettes to consider...and they all went into a nice, big, leather dufflebag...zipped up tight...and hidden under shoes and clothes...in the back corner of my bedroom closet.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Wow Confession:

That really is paranoid. I had been out since about 1998 so sometimesI forget just how I was when I was in, however I didn't even think about reading C of C until around 2005.

First for me the generation change made me wonder then going to Randy's site and then here back in 2005 and finding out about the UN scandal. It just seems like a domino effect after that - you see one flaw and inconsistency right after another- The light of seeing the deception gets brighter!

I'm hoping that some of the writers consider having some of their books available in ebook or preferably kindle format and available on Amazon. You can hide the literature easier and it is readily more available.

LRG

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Could not have said it better myself Lawrence!! I heard that!

• The Lone Ranger
    The Lone Ranger

My wife knows about the COC book, but she's not comfortable with it so I keep it in the garage in a brown box high on the shelf, I keep most other Literature in soft copy on my computer, my XP Computer is loaded with passwords, its pretty sercure.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I don't hide it, just keep it in the book case.

Maddie

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Mine was on my coffee table for a long time, now its on my book shelf. I'm DF'd and proud of it.

• seek2find
    seek2find

In my desk drawer at work in a software box that was just the right size. seek2find

• Dagney
    Dagney

garybuss said:

I found out years ago that if I don't want somebody to find something out, I tell them. Then they can't find out. Same way with hiding stuff. If I have something I don't want somebody to find, I leave it out in plain sight, that way they can't find it.

I sat and read COC right next to my wife while she studied the Watchtower. The Witnesses were already shunning me, so what's she gonna do? Go tell the guys who are already shunning me? Hahaha!! Who cares? She wants to divorce me? OH, she wants to lose her home and give up her car because she doesn't like my book? Go for it.

Hide the book, seek the book, throw the book out . . . at best it's a game and at worst it's a control issue. It's not a religion problem, it's a marriage problem. Fix the marriage and the religion and the book won't be an issue anymore. If the marriage can't be fixed, life is too short for me to live with a psychotic control freak.

I like his take on this.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I mentioned this recently, but its a great story so I'll tell it again. I had my copy of CofC squirreled away under my side of the water bed (where I figured my wife would never see it). So I'm doing all this reading clandestinely, we aren't going to meetings much - I've decided its a crock an my wife has health issues.

So one Sunday morning in the Spring of 1988 after I've completely had it with the WTBS (an assembly where they were going on again about the evils of higher education, and I'm thinking I don't want my teenage kids to grow up to be window washers) I'm drinking coffee and reading the paper when my wife comes out of the bedroom with CofC in her hand. Just about the time I figure I'm done for, she grins and says "This is MY copy." She had a copy under her side of the bed and was reading it on the sly. Some how she found my copy that morning and figured out what was going on.

We had a good laugh and the research started in earnest after that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit