What do you say to someone you are seeing for the last time?

by Bumble Bee 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

You must not have regrets after, but there's nothing to say really. The only thing you can do is offer comfort and show your love. These moments are precious and fleeting. A man that knows he's dieing has either made his peace, or is about to. Make sure you listen carefully to what he says, and try to be as comforting, gentle and understanding as you can be. This can be intense, but take comfort that he will no longer suffer and all things must pass. If there is something pressing, he will bring it up. It is his moment. The last words on his breath will not be wasted among loves ones. Good luck Bumble Bee. I know it must be difficult. My heart goes out to you.

If he looks into your eyes, they will do most of the talking. Let it flow from your souls. Nows the time to forgive any wrongs. You can do this with your eyes too. Love speaks volumes.

• sass_my_frass
  • LouBelle
    LouBelle

sometimes you don't have to say anything - you being there "says" it all.

Be at peace.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

My father said to me before he died, I'll see you on the other side.

• *summer*
    *summer*

I lost a best friend to cancer last July.

Seeing her for the last time, there was no need to say anything. She was afraid of dying and only wanted a comforting presence, a hand to hold.

Not to worry...you will know what to do once you get there.

Sending Love and Light your way~

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Ask for his favorite memory of him and your dad. When I was sitting at my grandma's bedside nursing her, I told her I wanted family stories that I could pass on. That way my family would all still be there in our memories. I was also able to share some interesting stories I had found doing genealogy.

I am thinking of you.

momz

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    You may have to dig deep to find something but there may be something you haven't thought of. I wish you well BB and I love you.

Thanks A&W, I've been trying to think of something, but really, there's not much there. I can't even remember a time before 1973/74 that we were all together for even a meal! After my dad was DF'd for smoking their relationship changed (even after he was reinstated).

my mother believed in the resurrection, so I encouraged her to think about it. If that's his hope, ask him about it. I don't know what's running the universe, but if there is a way my mother could see her parents again, I hope it happened.

That's his hope to Hortensia, he's been an elder for longer than I've been alive! lol In my other thread about him dying I mentioned about "talking" to my father (he's been gone for alomst 6 years) and telling him he's going to be seeing his brother soon, to be there for him and to welcome him "home".

((((((Tyrone)))))) Your words touched me the most, thank you.

Ask for his favorite memory of him and your dad.

That is exactly what I was thinking this morning momz. My mom told me a few stories from my dad last night, how he used to protect his little brother from the bullies when the JW's were under ban here in Canada back in the '30's. He'd hold his hand when they walked to school and carry a big stick to hit the bullies with.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

BB

• dinah
    dinah

((((BB)))))

This is so sad. Even though we know death is a part of life, it still sucks. When my father-in-law was dying, we just all hung out together that night. He was at home and we had hospice (thank God for hospice). My husband and I had gotten married about 10 days before. I promised him I'd take care of my hubby.

We talked about the fun we had over that last summer. He went very peacefully.

I have no words of wisdom for you, just know that you're in my thoughts!

• Rooster
    Rooster

You could ask him to contact you from the after life!

You could ask him if he enjoyed his life.

You could tell him it was nice knowing him and he was someone important in your life.

You could rub his feet. That is what my dad wanted right before he passed away.

God Speed..

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

BB - I've never been in this position and don't look forward to ever having to be. So, although I don't have any encouraging words I can say just being there and letting things happen naturally may be the best. As someone else said, he may lead the converstion.

I do know that with loved ones sometimes the most powerful times are when you are just there, your mere presence holding his hand may be the most moving for him and most memorable for you!

I'm glad you have the opportunity to say good bye. Too often we don't have the chance to say it.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BB))))))))))))))))))))))))))

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit