Why do you HATE to cook?

by GentlyFeral 32 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

My gosh, I love to cook! As far as I am concerned, it's like any other artistic endeavor. Creative outlet. To imagine the melding of flavors, and the presentation and then see it come to fruition. It's art, pure and simple. As an added bonus, it also serves a purpose.

• FreedomFrog
    FreedomFrog

I don't mind cooking...it's the clean-up that's a pain in the buttuki. I do it because of my kids, mainly, and because they uhhh, and awwww over it which is a good feeling since their ol' mom knows how to cook.

I do love hearing my 9 year old son "requesting" several homemade dinners over particular things. For example, he will ask me to make "flapjacks"...or in other words, my homemade (from scratch...no box stuff) pancakes. He also will request my chili...normally I just make it up as I go but ALWAYS turn out wonderful.

Now, when I have all of the materials, I LOVE to bake more than the cooking part. The thing is, my apartment is very small and I normally don't have the appropriate cooking utensils or containers. This can become frustrating.

If you don't have the proper materials, space, or containers, it kinda kills the joy. It's like an artist with a very few paints and a tiny canvas trying to paint in a closet.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I don't know what it is about restaurants and their preperation of food, but it seems I can't eat in a restaurant without getting a severe case of the runs. It doesn't matter if it's McDonalds or a 5 star restaurant. It never happens when I cook at home, so I've learned to cook and I love it.

W

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I dont mind cooking but often I dont want to take the time to cook because I feel I am in a hurry.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

horrible life,

It is food, for gods sake. I can throw a TV dinner in the microwave, go to McDonalds, and get a $1.00 double cheeseburger, or to the Taco place, and get a .99cent buritto.

Yeah, but to me none of that seems like food. Mystery meat, preservatives, artificial colors and flavors to cover up the lack of intrinsic flavors in the ingredients – oh, and plenty of sugar and salt for the same purpose....It's stomach filler. When I eat like that for too long, I have less energy and I tend to overeat – waiting for the flavor to improve. Even the prefab freezer foods from Trader Joe's are beginning to pall, except for the pot stickers.

Mind you, KFC is a guilty pleasure

megaflower,

There is too much emphasis put on food. This is esp true in the witness org. There is always an occasion for food, can you make something for the visiting speaker(bookstudy hospilitality), ffed the c.o., feed the d.o., feed the pioneers for pioneer school, food when there is hall maintaince. It is no wonder the majority of JW are fat.

Ah, the free rider problem Yes, I see your point.

We spend our free time playing, not in the kitchen slaving away.

But, see, here is where we're on different wavelengths. Most of the time I'm in the kitchen, I am playing. (I just spent five or ten minutes peeling some cooked beets. If you kind of pinch the beets, the skin comes right off in your hands. Yeah, my fingertips are pink (that's kind of fun) and my fingernails look like I just fought off a zombie, but those beets are shining like satin where I took the skins off... Later I'll get to enjoy that earthy, mysterious flavor that I can't resist.)

IP_SEC,

I hate the clean up... got to do that too.

Well, see, there's the problem. In my house, the cook and the dishwasher are never the same person. It's a rule.

beksbks,

Creative outlet. To imagine the melding of flavors, and the presentation and then see it come to fruition. It's art, pure and simple.

Yeah... this morning, I made some buckwheat aebleskivers. To wit: I combined three or four powdery substances with two raw eggs and two kinds of liquid. I applied heat to this mixture in a special pan and did some manipulation while the mixture was cooking. Voila! "Bread-eggs"! I love the whole transmogrification thing.

Anyway, I'll shut up for a while. I'd like to understand this phenomenon better. We've just scratched the surface, I can tell, and I don't want this to turn into a dialogue of the deaf.

gentlyferal

• horrible life
    horrible life

I don't like to cook because I had a critic for a parent, nothing was right and everything worth beating me for.

20 years later I am still afraid of screwing dinner up.

Ladylove, welcome.

This is probably the same reason I don't like to cook. My mother never cooked, and I had to cook growing up.

Now, everytime I peel potatoes, I get teary eyed, thinking of my father. Sweet huh?? NOT..... I was peeling potatoes with the potato peeler, and he came up, over my shoulder, and reached in the sink, and showed me a peeling, that only had a little sliver of brown. The rest was white potato. He said I needed to learn how to peel and not waste money. I guess I was about 13.

I started crying, and dad just stomped off.

Dinner was always a nightmare.

Mother sat across the table from me,my dad to the right. Mother chewed everything with her mouth open. I hated that!!!! Gross When my parents would sit me down, and yell, and ask me why I acted so horrible, Always at the dinner table. One of the things I would say, that I hated her chewing with her mouth open, why couldn't she close it?? She would look at me, with those evil eyes, and father would wallop me on the back of the head. I hated eating dinner. I've been walloped on the back of the head, more times than I could count. I have always thought, that is why I have cricks in my neck, starting as a child, quite often.

When I started losing my memory at the age of 44, I started wondering how many brain cells he killed. My brothers were at the other end of the table. I was within easy reach.

The dinner table also has the memories of studying. The Watchtower, the many books, etc. I usually got walloped before that was over also.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I HATE cooking for one. It seems almost pointless for me, unless it's something really simple.

When I cook for myself and other people, I REALLY enjoy it! Especially when I'm cooking on the barbeque. The barbeque is the only thing I really enjoy cooking on. Such a MAN thing! Here in Canada, I'll start up the barbeque when it's -40 degrees outside and snowing like hell. The only thing that sucks is it's difficult to find barbeque accessories (lighters, metal brushes) in the middle of winter, so I have to stock up on that stuff in the summer.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I was a Chef at a Cottage, I am a good cook. I got a bibbon for third place, going against other chefs.

If I am on a diet, I don't like to cook. I like to cook fast, Its got to be done in 15 to 20 Min.

LADYLOVE----Welcome to the Board.

alt

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I used to love to cook. Then I married a JW. He was never happy. It's not that he didn't like my cooking. He did. But he wanted me to cook those southern meals with an entree, two or three vegetables, potatoes or rice, a roll or some kind of bread, a salad and dessert. Both of came from families with weight problems so I didn't think we needed that kind of spread. And he also wanted a full cooked breakfast, but would run around and let it get cold and then say, "slap it on a sandwich, honey. I'm leaving for work." He'd also say things like, "Not enough variety."

Ever since my marriage and divorce to him, I find I get overwhelmed and panicky when I cook something that isn't simple. But my philosophy is: keep it simple but delicious. And really, most gourmet cooking is simple, but delicious.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Healthy is pretty much always an element to my cooking. How can I make this dish as healthy AND tasty as possible. I love intense flavors. Fortunately that comes with herbs and spices, garlic and onions, and fresh veggies. FHN is correct, simple but delicious. That is gourmet, fresh ingredients and thoughtful combination.

One thing that makes cooking more of a pleasure, is having the right equipment. A great set of knives, a mandolin, super cookware, food processor, etc. etc.

PS if any of you like shrimp, I made a super simple and tasty dinner tonight. Brown rice cooked in chicken broth, with snipped green onions. Broccolini with garlic. Shrimp that marinated for a few hours in olive oil, lime juice, garlic, cilantro and jalapenos (all whizzed in the food processor) then broiled. They were perfect! Spicy!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit