Things You HATED About Being a JW

by minimus 53 Replies latest jw friends

• maxwell
    maxwell

As has already been mentioned, field service and especially phone witnessing.

I didn't do much phone witnessing when I was growing up in a rural area. But I did it a few times after I moved away from home to an area with high rise buildings. I just didn't like bothering people over and over again with things they were not interested in talking about. And phone witnessing really brought it too the fore. I try to follow a basic rule of human relations that some people think is unique to the Bible and refer to as the golden rule. I try to treat other people the way I wanted to be treated. And I know I hated to be bothered by telemarketers. When I used a landline, before I had caller ID, I'd just say "No" and hang up on them. When I got caller ID, I wouldn't even bother answering.

I once quit a job because I absolutely hated the cold-calling to set up a sales appointment. Then I moved and I had to try this phone witnessing a few time. I was completely ineffective with that method, which is actually a positive. Certain people might have the phone voice to make it work sometimes, but not me. I knew that I would not like it if somebody was trying to push some propaganda on me on the street, at my door or on the phone. So why was I bothering these people? It turns out the message isn't life saving.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I hated not being able to play sports in school. I was pretty good, and sometimes I wonder how good....

I hated public speaking, but, "That's what you need to do in order to progress in the organization".

I hated having to go uninvited to the home of a complete stranger, and stand on his porch and try to get him to change his own personal beliefs.

I hated being a kid and thinking that some day I might have to be in prison because I didn't join the military.

I hated not being able to let my non-JW grandparents have a normal birthday party, Christmas, Easter, Halloween, etc with their grandkids.

I hated not being normal. Gymbob

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Aye ol' Red Dot, how the hell are ya?

Honestly, as much as I did believe and was supportive of the Borg while I was in it (even with doubts); field service - UGH!

I never had so many upset stomachs and trips to the loo - as a result of field service; nevermind my pioneering daze.

I did it, begrudgingly at the time because I did believe in it.

But I hated field service.

I'm confident, the people I called on equally confered.

• joelbear69
    joelbear69

being bored

being controlled

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit