I have a gift! What's yours?

by Crumpet 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Otherwise entitled: Smoking - A Cautionary Tale

I have a gift, a talent for getting myself locked into or out of places. Ever since I was small I have managed to get myself locked in most host's lavatories and unable to quite mistress the ability to unlock the door.

Today I surpassed myself. Having spent a long morning studying and working I decided to take a cigarette break. I went to empty my bin at the same time. Mind on other things I left my flat to dump the trash in the communal garbage room attached the building I live in. When I returned I realised that I must have put a fresh pack of Marlborough's in the bin as well. So wedging my own door open with a shoe I went into the garbage room to find my trash and retrieve said cigarettes. And after some rummaging they were there, still in their cellophane wrap. I turned to open the door which links the trash room to he rest of my complex and realised pretty swiftly that I was locked in this tiny dark room.

There is a six foot drop to the bin (like those ones you see in CSI which they usually find corpses in) over a brick wall. and then after that two doors onto the outside. I didn't much fancy my chances of the drop since last time I dropped a few inches I snapped my leg and ankle bones in three places so I thought, well someone is bound to come by eventually. For sure. You'd think.

I waited and I waited, becoming increasingly aware of the thick weave of blackened cobwebs above my head and the dire stench of rubbish beneath my nose. I also was very aware that I was not my most becomingly dressed. I tried not to think about spiders. Time ticked by slowly and I started to be very annoyed with myself.

All this for a packet of cigarettes! And I don't even have a light on me to pass the time.

Saturday afternoon and no one around, I realised I could be there all night. I thought about yelling help but it just seemed a bit melodramatic plus I was embarrassed and not very becomingly dressed in my pyjamas. So I decided that I'd have to just climb over the wall and do my best to lower myself off the edge of the bin without breaking anything. I also feared that the bin wouldnt take my not unsubstantial weight and my worst case scenario was getting on to the edge of the bin and it falling over, tumbling me out onto the pavement covered into other people's left over take-aways.

Luckily the bin did take my weight and I escaped with only light grazes and bruises and a pulled shoulder muscle from gingerly lowering myself to the ground. And fortunately my neighbour was at home and buzzed me into the main building on condition I lent him some dirty movies. So I suspect I'll never see them again.

So what talents for trouble do you have? Accidents or mishaps that you seem to have with unaccountably rare frequency?

• faundy
    faundy

Great story- I could actually picture it, especially the bribing for dirty movies...

My gift is that I'm obscenely clumsy... when I recently lifted up the tower of my PC at work there was a festering puddle of coffee that had collected underneath from all the times I've knocked my cup over.

One time, too, a sister found a really nice hair clip that she thought I'd like and she gave it to me at the hall, I took it off her gratefully then proceeded to open it and break it right in front of her. Oops. She shuns me now- she tells herself it's because I'm a big dyke but i think it's because she still feels like I pissed all over her generosity.

• knock knock
    knock knock

I don't have any gifts. I'm not allowed. I did trip over an ottoman once just like the opening of The Dick Van Dyke Show. One time event though.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    My gift is that I'm obscenely clumsy

Maybe we are both "big dykes" Faundy! I can totally relate to the coffee spillages - I got banned from having anything other than water at my desk.

On my first day at work at my last job I was wearing a really gorgeous spanking new burgundy suit from Warehouse. I managed to spill Starbucks coffee down it on my way to the office and ruined it completely, could never be worn again, plus I had a big ugly stain down one leg for the entire day.

Then (still on the first day) I managed a second spillage when the fan on the shelf above my desk crashed off the desk immersing my keyboard in coffee and had to be supplied with a new one.

Then to cap it all my boss asked me to shred some paper. I'd never used a shredder before so I put way too many sheets of paper in. There was a terrible grinding sound in the copier room. I tried madly to pull the paper out but it was too late. Next thing there was smoke coming from the machine. The floor had to be evacuated. The shredder was completely broken. It was sooo embarrassing.

One day and I'd managed to cause goodness knows how many hundreds of pounds worth of damage not to mention bringing an international company to a complete halt for 30 minutes. I'm amazed I kept that job for another 6 years.

• faundy
    faundy

Ha, you win, hands down!!

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

And I was gonna invite you all to visit lol . . .

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

If you have something that you want knocked over......I'm your man. I have picked up the habit of talking with my hands. Gestures are my middle name. Combine that with a mixed drink, a beer, anything, you name it. One minute I'm just talking away and then WHAM!!! Over goes the drink. One night at my bowling league, I knocked over not just my own drink but the whole picther in one fell swoop!!!if you are a bowler, then you know the ramifications of a wet floor. If you don't dry it up or cover it with a rug, then your fet get a little damp. If you are unaware of the damp shoes, on your next trip up to bowl you may just stick and fall on your face!!!

I haven't limited my expertise to just drinks. I once knocked the whole thanksgiving turkey onto the kitchen floor!!

My greatest feat of all was the above ground swimming pool. Yep! You've seen it done on TV, there's no real trick to it. Just get a little clumsy, as in a few too many beers and stumble sideways, and here we go!!! I just kinda squished the side of the pool, 4 foot deep one, and I had the instant neighborhood TSUNAMI~~~~~~~.

Have Clumsey. Will travel.

NMG

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Fascinating story, Crumpet. When I read your title, I was sure it was going to be
    something like putting a cherry in your mouth and tying a knot in the stem with your
    tongue. Glad I was wrong.

I have the gift of analyzing something totally unfamiliar to me- say a gadget- and
    realizing why it is broken, and most often being able to fix it.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Crumpet, you are something else!:)

My gift is for getting lost/separated from my companions at the fair. Take me to a county fair and I WILL get lost. This first happened when I was about 4. Needless to say, I don't go to the fair with just small children, I always attend with another adult.

This was particularly embarrassing when I was a teenager and attended with my friends.

Shelly-The lost one

• JK666
    JK666

I used to have a knack for getting arrested for drinking while driving. Funny, I haven't had one since I quit drinking!

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit