What has happened to your human decency?

by multifarious 152 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

May I chime in?

I didn't read either thread - have been too busy this week to do so. But 'human decency' is a relative term isn't it? I don't know what was said, or implied there, but sometimes jokes are made that are not in good taste. This board is not an 'organization', in which each member conceals his/her view or opinion based on some universal code of ethics or standards. Free people sometimes are not moral people. That is a point in fact. I'm not saying that this board is filled with immoral thinkers - it isn't that in my opinion. But when you bring thousands of people together in one place, crass comments and insensitive viewpoints will be expressed at times.

The other side of that is relativity. When I was a Jw [for the most of 48 years] I observed many Jw's who acted with a lack of human decency on many levels - and didn't even realize it. I heard some of my 'brothers and sisters' snicker at householders opinions when returning to the car, sometimes announcing to the group that soon that person would regret what he believed when Jehovah killed him and he lay in the streets. I saw some 'call dibs' on various homes in the territory - assuming that they might live there once the residents were dead and Armageddon was over. I saw Jw's pass thru the world, never once donating time or money to the homeless, the sick in Africa, the victims of Aids. After all - soon Jehovah would 'finish off' these poor souls who refused to gain 'truth' by reading chintzy religious magazines that were coming out of Brooklyn, but were claimed to be 'from Jehovah'.

No my friend, there is a lack of 'human decency' in many things - depending from what perspective one looks. You are currently still held captive to the concept that God is using a single religious institution to dispense some sort of 'universal truth' that leads to life on a paradise earth. Looking though those wine-colored glasses will distort your vision as much as looking through the various shades of opinion that resides in any given place and time. Mother Theresa was a person that is considered to have been a modicum of 'human decency' by most - she sacrificed her entire life for the 'little children' of India. Yet by Jw standards - the ones you allow to direct your vision so far in life - had she lived long enough to see the Great Tribulation, she would have been laid out as carrion due to the fact that her view of God and Life and Jesus was different from that of a few elderly men living in relative luxury in New York making up the doctrines of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Yes. You will find some bitterness here - and perhaps at times even some lack of good judgement in the way things are stated. Call it human indecency if you like - the label is unimportant. Ride the subway, walk down the streets, sit in a restaurant - you will see the same thing at times. But don't allow the fact that some may [if only in your own opinion perhaps] lack the level of 'human decency' that you would like to see, cloud your ability to see the good and decent people who post here. That would be a tragedy.

You are interested in 'truth' you state. Stick around - allow your mind to do what it was intended to do - seek morsels of reality in a sea of various opinions and moral viewpoint. You will be happy you did. Jw's unilateral view will make some of what you read here uncomfortable. But as your paradigm shifts, you will likely begin to see that most of what has appeared as unkind, may not be as unkind as you perceive at this point in your thinking.

Peace and Hope to you.

Jeff

• inkling
    inkling

on the abused wife thread you posted:

I am totally shocked at the heartlessness of some of the people on this thread.

I read through the thread, and I have no idea what you are talking about. What comments could you have possibly found "heartless"? [ink]

• Gordy
    Gordy

What has happened to your human decency?

You mean the "human decency" that because I decided that I could no longer accept the teachings of the Watchtower. . That I was forced out of my family home because I was considered a "spiritual danger" to my family. That my JW wife and two daughter have not spoken or had contact with me for the last six years. That people I had known for nearly 30 years will now cross the road if they see me coming.

Is that "human decency"?

And you wonder why so many "hate" that religion!!!

• KW13
    KW13

My Human decency is so good i can spot a troll a mile away, seriously dude i knew some pretty horrible jehovahs witnesses and there have been some tragic stories here but hey, is suppose your human decency isn't taken into account for this is it?

We are Jehovah's Witnesses ever strong of heart....WE are Jehovah's Witnesses not me, them, some of us...all of you stand together and together you all fall. Your religion and organization is corrupt, deal with it.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Welcome mult.

Warlock

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

Assuming that MF is not a troll then maybe it would be a good idea not to respond to his/her questions with "well the JW's are not decent blah blah blah" It is kind of irrelevant to the discussion or questions at hand.

MF if you are going to make blanket statements about what people have posted and how that reflects on their "human decency" perhaps you should copy and paste he comments you find offensive

Sheesh people

• DEFENDERJW
    DEFENDERJW

Hi Mate

So your a young JW left home and became independant. The web is full of stories about the witnesses and most are not positive but some are true. As you get older your views will continue to change. I became a witness at 16 . Im 38 now and Im having concerns with myJW faith. not so much in the truth of Gods word but in the so called organisation they claim to be used by Jehovah. The organisation has rules and policies you dont even see in the bible , but they choose to set them for control of their people. While not everything is bad as a JW but when you are treated with very little love and consideration from your congregation that hurts and my wife and I have been treated in an unloving way but we still go to the hall and try and try again but sooner or later you give up and wonder why are you doing all this. How can you worship Jehovah with all you heart mind and soul when you are dealing with nasty people in the congregations. Your thoughts mate?

• multifarious
    multifarious

I already said I came on too strong. That doesn't make me a troll. I said I don't understand the hate for this religion. That doesn't make me a troll. I'm an active witness. That doesn't make me a troll. I said I didn't hold everyone on this board or everyone who posted on those threads in the same light. Again, that doesn't make me a troll.

I posted what I was feeling, I posted from emotion. If you don't see things the same as me, fine. What good would it do for me to bring in other people's post here from either thread. I can say that after having reread the story of the wife abuser, there was only one post that set me off so I take back what I said about that thread. I'll see if I can take out my comment there, if not, I'll apologize.

I still say that there seems to be a lot of hate towards this religion, and yeah, I don't get it.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I can't say I harbor any hatred toward the witnesses or the religion. I disagree with it. I wish children didn't have to cope with it. But adults can make their own decisions about what they believe, I have no need to dissuade my dad from his beliefs, they are his choice to make. I wish he would grant me the same respect.

I did not read the threads you're talking about so I don't know specifically what type of comments were made. But I do remember as a witness how everyone looked forward to the deaths of billions of people. I remember walking away from doors in service where someone had tried to give their beliefs in return and the comments often made walking away from the door were along the lines of, 'Just wait until armageddon, then he'll see!' with a righteous, haughty tone of voice. I also remember the comment, 'After armageddon when god has disposed of these people this is where I'm going to come live.'

It seems to me that looking forward to the death of people which has not yet occured is far blacker than finding humor in atrocities that have already happened as a way of coping with them.

But, as I said, I haven't read the threads or the comments in question, so take my thoughts for what you will...

Jackie

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

MF.........It's good to see that you are hanging tuff here friend. You are very fortunate in that you have youth on your side. Many of us here are older, wiser, and hardened by what we have seen and expierenced as jw's. Yes, alot of us have a TRUE HATRED for the wts. Their policies, not bible based have ruined lives, relationships, friendships and life long employment careers.

I , too, was raised a jw. I am now 57. I didn't get baptised until I was 25, I saw what the world offered, I liked it, but then came the 1975 false prophesy, one of many. It scared me back into the borg and then it failed. If you give yourself time, you too will see failed promises by the wts, as I am certain that with the generation change, that YOU will be affected by it later in life. Might I say rather, a WASTED life by following the wts.

So, MF, as I said, you have youth on your side. Stick around here, get a little more KNOWLEDGE from the posts. Ask yourself this question.....WHY will the cong. DF you for being on this site?? They are terrified of the REAL TRUTH that you will learn about them.

Finally, don't waste too much of your youth chasing a promised paradise. DON"T let a lifetime of failed expectations JADE your outlook on people and life. Live it to the fullest without being GUILTED into a life course that you WILL come to regret.

NMG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit