What has happened to your human decency?

by multifarious 152 Replies latest jw friends

• multifarious
    multifarious

I am new here and I have been reading a lot of stuff on this board. My parent's are both JWs, I am still active and still believe I have the truth. I consider myself a moral person. I feel empathy when someone is truly hurting. I cry for the tragedies that happen in this world. I honestly want to help unbelievers find the truth of the bible that will help them withstand the trials of this system, give them something to look forward to.

I know I'm young and this is probably not going to be received well but I can't keep this inside. There are a lot of you here who are no longer Jehovah's Witnesses. For whatever reason you left. That's your decision. To those who made fun of these tragedies on the 2 threads, when you left, did you turn off your hearts as well?

I was disgusted to see that in two different threads both dealing with a human tragedy many many people making fun of first, a dead person who was found behind a JW Assembly Hall and second, a woman who was beaten, terrorized and held at knife point by her psycho JW husband while their young daughter watched it all.

What happened to you? What makes it ok for a person to devalue the life of another human being simply because the words Jehovah's Witness is mentioned? Has your hate for this religion turned you into cold hearted monsters?

What if it was your relative that was found dead behind the Assembly Hall as one poster joked it was? What if it was your sister or your mother that was being aggressively abused and threatened with death? Would it still be funny?

I came here to learn about the things I'm not being told about the WTB&TS but I gotta tell you, I'm a little sick to my stomach. If this is what I'll turn into if I leave the truth, I'd rather stay in.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

what has happened to your reading comprehension?

• multifarious
    multifarious

My reading comprehension is fine.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Ah, so you're a troll then, trying to create false drama.

Go away.

• 5go
    5go
    What if it was your relative that was found dead behind the Assembly Hall as one poster joked it was? What if it was your sister or your mother that was being aggressively abused and threatened with death? Would it still be funny?

It's called gallows humor or black comedy it's a sign of stress.

Black comedy, also known as black humor is a sub-genre of comedy and satire where topics and events that are usually treated seriously (death, mass murder, suicide, domestic violence, disease, insanity, fear, drug abuse, rape, war, terrorism, etc.) are treated in a humorous or satirical manner. Synonyms include dark humor and morbid humor.

Gallows humor is a type of humor that arises from stressful, traumatic or life-threatening situations such as accidents, wartime events, natural disasters; often in circumstances where death is perceived as impending and unavoidable. It is similar to black comedy but differs in that it is made by the person affected.

• avishai
    avishai

((((multifarious)))) Bless you for your compassion and soft heart. And, no, we're not here to give you grief for your post. If you read some of the OTHER posts on JW tragedies, usually you will read "Oh, that's awful no matter who they were." As far as the abuse issue that you mentioned, "what if it were your mother or sister being threatened?" That's why some of us left. My brother was molested by someone in the cong., and the elders did nothing. Allowing this monster to abuse dozens more kids by not turning him in. You'll also find many cases on here of people who were beaten by their mates and the elders insisted that they stay with them. Some people (including me) often deal with tragedy with dark humor, it does'nt necessarily mean they lack compassion, it often means they have too much, and have to deal with it somehow or go nuts.

Here's two news reports on my brother.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/38146/1.ashx

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/46670/1.ashx

• tula
    tula
    Get a sense of humor: black humor

Your job can change your sense of humor - you could cross over to the dark side or laughing at black humor. For instance, one PhD student studied more than 70 emergency-care personnel (paramedics included) and found a change in sense of humor styles. The majority of the subjects went from ethnic and sexual jokes at the beginning of their training to black humor at the end. The more experienced the paramedic, the "sicker" their humor was. (Source: Psychology Today).

The same is often seen on tv. Coroners or medical examiners who perform autopsies often make jokes about the body, or eat sandwiches while leaning against the table on which the body rests. Humor psychology shows that this is normal in that world.

Black humor can serve as a defense against scary or heartbreaking situations. Black humor switches your focus from the tragic to the tragically comical, from sad to silly. Seeing the irony or humor in even the bleakest situation can help you master situations and environments. In fact, some emergency personnel believe that coworkers who don't joke around seem more high strung, touchier, and more likely to burn out. Those who don't have a sense of humor don't last.

• multifarious
    multifarious

That's funny. You call me a troll and I'm not the one who was making fun of a woman being abused by her husband.

• 5go
    5go
    That's funny. You call me a troll and I'm not the one who was making fun of a woman being abused by her husband.

A troll is some who refuses to become reasonable when faced with facts and spams their opinions till no is left to hear them.

• tula
    tula

Multi, you are very sensitive.

I bet all of us here used to be...and still are in some ways. But we have all had to toughen up. When you take a stand and you are the odd man out, it toughens you up.

I don't think you are a troll at all.

I hope you will stick around. There is a lot to be learned here and I think many people when they finally walk away from this board are better people and smarter people for having spent time here.

Please don't get offended. People will not always agree with you. Don't take it personally.

Also, I copied what I posted above. I am not saying directly to you to "get a sense of humor"; that was just the title of the excerpt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit