JW husband wages holy war on Catholic wife in Wisconsin

by Gopher 34 Replies latest social current

• Gopher
    Gopher

If this is the kind of people the Watchtower teachings are producing these days, wow!

The story is from Racine, Wisconsin (USA).

http://www.journaltimes.com/articles/2008/01/31/local_news/doc47a2324aaf46e080288013.txt

Jehovah's Witness husband allegedly wages holy war on Catholic wife

BY JOURNAL TIMES STAFF
    Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:42 PM CST RACINE — A man allegedly threatened to injure and kill his wife after an all-day argument over religion.

The man, 30, is charged with substantial battery, first-degree recklessly endangering safety, false imprisonment and intimidating a witness. If convicted, he could face up to $40,000 in fines and 35 years imprisonment. The Journal Times is not naming the man to protect the identity of his wife and daughter.

According to court records:

Officers were sent to a 21st Street home at 8:23 p.m. Jan. 13, where they found the victim visibly upset and shaken. She said she and her husband had been arguing all day, since she refused to go to a Jehovah’s Witness meeting that morning.

The woman said her husband is a Jehovah’s Witness while she is Catholic. She said he felt she should practice the same religion he does, and that she was lying to their daughter by allowing her to celebrate holidays like Christmas and Easter.

Starting that evening, the woman said their fight escalated. She said her husband has martial arts experience and has told her that he could “punch through steel if he wanted to.”

She said her husband strangled her until she blacked out, held a knife to her throat and threatened to cut her hand off and to kill her.

At one point, the woman said her husband handed her the phone and pushed 9-1, telling her to push the last number to see what would happen. When she pushed the final 1, her husband threw the phone, breaking it apart. She was once able to run out the front door, but her husband caught her and dragged her back inside.

Eventually, the woman said her husband got some alcohol from the refrigerator and told her he was going to get drunk and jump in Lake Michigan before driving away. Once the woman knew he was gone she grabbed her daughter and went to a neighbor’s house to call police.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Satanic apostate propaganda!

Newspapers are full of lies!

How's my impression of a JW apologist?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

How's my impression of a JW apologist?

Just because WTS attacks the Catholic Church about the pedophile individuals doesn't
    make it right for the Press to attack the WTS when they settle a few lawsuits.

Just because one guy in Wisconsin takes everything WTS says to an extreme, it doesn't
    mean that WTS has many extremists.

They will DF the guy to say he was a former member, but they removed him.

This is some sh%t.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

And, this man thinks war is evil as it's just a violent of an assault against another one of Jehovah's creations! Skeeter

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Just because one guy in Wisconsin takes everything WTS says to an extreme, it doesn't mean that WTS has many extremists.

The WTS teaches distrust and loathing of the Catholic church, and the idea that its adherents are soon to be bird food at Armageddon. They do not teach open-mindedness and tolerance. So in a divided household, emotions are bound to get stirred -- and just as likely by the JW as by the non-JW.

This was an extreme example, and is as much a reflection on the 30-year-old suspect as on his religion. However, the religion was at the root of his hatred.

You know what they say about bad trees yielding bad fruit.

• moshe
    moshe

Wow- the stress of the impending just around the corner, battle of Amageddon caused him to lose his mind!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The WTS teaches distrust and loathing of the Catholic church, and the idea that its adherents are soon to be bird food at Armageddon. They do not teach open-mindedness and tolerance. So in a divided household, emotions are bound to get stirred -- and just as likely by the JW as by the non-JW.

This was an extreme example, and is as much a reflection on the 30-year-old suspect as on his religion. However, the religion was at the root of his hatred.

This place seems to be full of amateur lawyers.

Could she sue WTS for making him feel that way?
    I say NO. If a corporation taught him to fear and hate Catholicism, I would say YES.
    But a corporation that claims to be a religion, they will win.

• V
    V

FALLACY: No True Jehovah's Witness, previously known as “No True Scotsman”

This is actually a combination of several fallacies, but since it rests ultimately on shifting the meaning of terms — a form of equivocation — and begging the question, it receives special attention.

The name “No True Scotsman” comes from an odd example involving Scotsmen:

1. Suppose I assert that no Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge. You counter this by pointing out that your friend Angus likes sugar with his porridge. I then say “Ah, yes, but no true Scotsman puts sugar on his porridge.”

Obviously the original assertion about Scotsmen has been challenged quite well, but in attempting to shore it up the speaker uses an ad hoc change combined with a shifted meaning of the words from the original. Source

• chickpea
    chickpea

just what the cheeseheadz from wisconsin need.... more inference that they are actually cheeseheadz

• Gopher
    Gopher

I really fail to understand how this incidence of assault would be tied in with the idea of a possible lawsuit against JW's. The story didn't mention that, and neither did I, the original poster.

The incident is clearly a black eye on the JW's. What response do you suppose the JW's will encounter in eastern Wisconsin once news spreads about this religiously-biased assault against a wife (probably in the presence of a child)?

My assessment is that the JW's will lose ground in the court of public opinion over incidents like this. Their claim to be more "peaceable and loving" than the rest of humanity holds no water with people who are aware of facts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit