~Mmm. Tell us your healthy snack ideas/recipes~

by FlyingHighNow 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney
    Also, Sliced avacado on toast with fresh gound pepper. YUM!!
    Girl! I just finished that very thing! YUM!! is right! You think it's a California thing? I practically lived on that as a kid.

Me too!!! I think it might be a California thing. Yuuuuuuuuuuummmy!! Good ideas here, I'm going to print these out. I don't have any better/unique ones.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    beksbks wrote:
    Also, Sliced avacado on toast with fresh gound pepper. YUM!!
    Girl! I just finished that very thing! YUM!! is right! You think it's a California thing? I practically lived on that as a kid.

Dang!! Between this and peanut butter apples, you and I have real similar snack habits. You, me and Dagney should get together. I think actually *having* appetizing avacado's in california helps the situation. It's a new snack for me though. I grew up in New Jersey and only knew about sticking toothpicks in the avacado pit and soaking the bottom part in a class of water so it would sprout. I didn't know that it was such a tasty food!! -Aude.

• tula
    tula

FHN...

Take your ruby red grapefruit and drizzle some honey on it. Then open the center and stuff it with marischino cherries. Loosen the fruit from the rind and drizzle cherry juice around the inner edges. Then put it under the broiler for 5 to 8 mins.

Tula

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Peel the red grapefruit, scrape the sections out with a knife. Do several grapefruit until you have about a quart of juice and sections. Sprinkle generously with candied diced ginger. Store in the frig and eat whenever you like - actually I like to drain off all the juice after a day and drink it. Peeled sliced apples with laughing cow cheese. Baked potato with low fat cottage cheese and salsa. Brown rice and avocado. The laughing cow light swiss with celery sticks. Slice a bunch of zucchini and cook with a can of stewed tomatoes until tender, then turn up the heat and cook away some of the liquid. Serve with grated cheese.

And here is my favorite: dice tomatoes, or cut cherry tomatoes in half until you have as much as you like. Dice up some low fat mozzarella and add to the tomatoes. Grate one clove of garlic into the tomatoes. Add a half teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Add about two tablespoons each balsamic vinegar and oil. Add some shredded fresh basil. Stir it around, let it sit if you have the time and eat with sourdough toast.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Aude I have a confession. I really like food And those is some good eats.

I just remembered another one I've been into lately. Cherry tomatoes sliced in half, slivers of purple onion, sliced persian cucumbers, a touch of low fat feta cheese (its so flavorful and salty, you don't need much), and balsamic vinegar.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I love all these ideas. None of them seem like awful diet foods. I am salavating. I love the grapefruit ideas. I always ate it cut in half and using a grapefruit spoon or knife to lift each section out. Mom would let us sprinkle sugar on it when we were kids. Of course these days I don't need the sugar. If I buy grapefruit juice, I always put ice and 3/4's water in the glass. I like it just to flavor the water and provide a bit of nutrition.

Feta cheese. I love it.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Hortensia,

dice tomatoes, or cut cherry tomatoes in half until you have as much as you like. Dice up some low fat mozzarella and add to the tomatoes. Grate one clove of garlic into the tomatoes. Add a half teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of sugar. Add about two tablespoons each balsamic vinegar and oil. Add some shredded fresh basil.

I don't bother with the sugar or salt - I cut up some kalamata olives instead and stir those in. Sometimes I even leave out the basil.

GentlyFeral

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

a stick of celery !!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

MACINTOSH APPLES AND PISTACHIO NUTS!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

BREAKFAST: 1 package of Quaker Simple Harvest Multigrain Hot Cereal-Maple Brown Sugar with Pecans..............add to this 1/2 cup Fiber One Cereal..........fresh tap water and nuke for 2 mins............mmmmmmmm!!!

I also love Grapenuts Cereal with raisins or craisins and lowfat milk

LUNCH: Chicken Caesar salad

DINNER: Fresh Salmon steak, grilled in olive oil with garlic/black pepper freshly grated over it, brussel sprouts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit