~Mmm. Tell us your healthy snack ideas/recipes~

by FlyingHighNow 50 Replies latest jw friends

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Cold, cubed, roast beets tossed with goat cheese and balsamic.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

DINNER: Fresh Salmon steak, grilled in olive oil with garlic/black pepper freshly grated over it, brussel sprouts

Now tha tdoes sound good

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Here's a snack idea that leads up to dinner later:

Cook: 1pound fresh cranberries, 1cup sugar, 1cup orange juice, 1jar (10 ounces) red currant jelly, 1/2cup chopped pistachio nuts together for 20 mintues. (I know there's sugar but you're not going to use a ton of this per serving)

Use this sauce for both snack and dinner (the sauce will save for a very long time and makes a good bit)

Snack: Top a cracker (wheat thin or trisket) with low fat cream cheese and a dab of cranberry sauce.

For dinner: Cook salmon with ground red pepper and lime or lemon juice on top under the broiler until done and top with the cranberry sauce.

Cut up fresh asparagus, waterchestnuts and mushrooms -- cook until they are more tender but still a little crisp (like stir-fry) .. then add cooked rice and season with soy sauce and ginger... mm

I believe this adds up to about 500-600 calories for dinner. (depending on how much you eat of course but this is for what I would eat) If you take away the cranberry sauce, it makes better diet food -- 400 calories for dinner.

My favorite Snacks:

string cheese, yogurt

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I forgot about beets - thanks for the reminder. I like cold boiled beets with goat cheese and Newman's own light balsamic vinaigrette.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Lightly toast two slices of whole wheat bread. Slather with olive oil or mayo. Lay on sardines (canned in water) and thick slice of sweet onion. Garnish on the side with carrot sticks and a fresh pepper, Jalapeno or Serrano if you can take it... Enjoy with a glass of tomato or V8 juice.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    a stick of celery !!

Yeah, with what kind of dip? Stilla? Hmmm? I am going to have to go over this thread when I make my next shopping list. This is great. Better than a cookbook. Thank you, everyone.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

BTTTPlease keep these coming.

• nelly136
    nelly136

onions chopped

cucumber deseeded chopped

toms deseeded (optional)

garlic crushed mashed

aciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid, white vinegar, lime juice, lemon juice,wine vinegar, balsamic any or all at once, once you've got it to throat stripping harsh its all good.

put veggies in tub with a lid and leave in fridge to fester over night or longer, (can eat it sooner but it matures nicely if you can leave it)

eat with salads on burgers, side for meat or fish. whatever.

roasted peppers....burn the crap out of the skins on the hob or uner grill, throw them in plastic bag and let them sweat, the skins will just come away easily after, nice with anything.

• nelly136
    nelly136

not sure if you'd class this as healthy but its mostly lentils.

pease pudding

split peas (yellow lentils)

lump of bacon or packet of rashers (most fat released by meat gets poured off)

put peas and bacon into boiling water (bit of nutmeg or spice optional), cook till meats done and peas are soft,strain off liquid, mash the peas into paste season with black or mixed pepper and pick bits off bacon to add to the paste. (if youre not so fussy about healthy add butter to paste)

wrap in clingfilm and put in fridge to set shape if you want to slice it, i tend to just eat it as it is or spread on bread can be eaten hot or cold,( leftovers get stirred in stews or soups as a thickener.)

if you want to be posh you can put the peas into a muslim bag then squeeze the moisture out when theyve cooked, but straining works just as well if you leave them to drain.

veggie version......leave out the pork.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

A true smoothy - fresh fruit with skin on (not orange/lemon/lime skin) put in a food blender and drunk slowly. Easily digestible fruit - extremely healthy and good for you. Loads of vitamins and anti -oxidants and refreshing. Always pick fruits on offer in Walmart etc so the cost is not too high

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit