~Mmm. Tell us your healthy snack ideas/recipes~

by FlyingHighNow 50 Replies latest jw friends

• R.F.
    R.F.

I love making a nice fruit salad with apples, strawberries, grapes, raspberries, kiwi, and blueberries. I top a bowl of it with yogurt, a little kashi go lean crunch cereal, and lite whipped topping.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Slather a tortilla with a lowfat cream cheese spread. Some of the flavored ones are yummy. Layer turkey or ham lunchmeat, or if you want to be healthier, sliced home roasted chicken, with your favorite vegetables. Tomatos, peppers, lettuce, zucchini etc. Don't make it too think though. Roll up and eat.

Then there's veggie panninis easily done with a Foreman's grill. Sliced avocado, roasted red pepper, tomato, sprouts, zucchini (possibly roasted). Brush whole wheat bread with olive oil, layer veggies inside. Put together. Brush outside with olive oil. Put in Foremans grill and cook til golden. If you want some protein add some mozzerella to the inside before grilling.

And then I do a sliced banana with granola, vanilla yogurt, and marashino cherries. Actually I made the granola using the Schlopp recipe from the Green Eggs and Ham cookbook.

http://www.wchstv.com/gmarecipes/schloppwithacherryontop.shtml

• Scully
    Scully

These are all portable snack type things that I have on hand to bring to work.

• Fruit and veggies, of course....
    • Low fat sugar-free yogurt or low fat sugar free pudding in single serving containers.
    • Oatmeal. (I'll put 1/3 cup in a microwaveable container, then add 1/2 cup water and zap it for 60 seconds in the microwave, with some cinnamon and Splenda, or stir in a tablespoon of peanut butter or a container of low-fat sugar-free yogurt to the cooked oatmeal to increase the protein content and prevent an energy slump in a couple of hours.)
    • Hard boiled eggs. Portable single servings of protein to keep your energy levels stable.
    • mini bagels or croissants (they're available at my grocery store - and are about 1/3 of a "normal" sized versions)
    • Dill pickles.
    • Low fat deli ham or smoked chicken, very thinly sliced or shaved.
    • Diet Jell-O. One package makes 2 cups total with less than 35 calories (8 calories per 1/2 cup serving), but you could actually have the entire package and feel no guilt. Add fresh fruit and some low fat yogurt to make a parfait.
    • Cup-a-soup packets or broth (as a substitute for coffee or tea).
    • Crystal Lite single servings, to punch up the water that can be such a chore to drink every day.
  • beksbks
    beksbks

Sliced apple with peanut butter

String cheese and V-8

Instant unflavored oatmeal with ground flax see, cinnamon and vanilla soy milk

Smoked oysters or kippered herring with HOT sauce

Goat cheese and whole grain crackers

Hummus is a staple with Ak-Mak crackers

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Chilled and sliced Fuji apple with peanut butter. (I keep a jar of peanut butter in my desk at work, too)

Also, Sliced avacado on toast with fresh gound pepper. YUM!!

In the summertime, nothing beats a fresh melon salad with a few slices of banana.

Chinese Chicken salad - I use romaine lettuce, sliced chicken breast (already cooked, frozen then thawed), sesame dressing, mandarin oranges (canned), and almond slivers.

Little packages of trailmix - keep in my car and briefcase for emergencies.

-Aude.

• beksbks
    beksbks
    Also, Sliced avacado on toast with fresh gound pepper. YUM!!

Girl! I just finished that very thing! YUM!! is right! You think it's a California thing? I practically lived on that as a kid.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I like to take cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, mozzerella balls layered on toothpicks. Sprinkle with sea salt and olive oil.

Also asian pears cut up, put goat cheese on slices then low sodium deli ham. Sea salt and pepper and eat.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

nelly136, your mixed-vegetable roast sounds fantastic. I'll have to try it.

Let's see, I was making snack bentos for a long time. I came up with some good stuff:

Blueberries, Dr. Kracker's crackers, sliced sugar snap peas. Puppy shapes cut out of cheddar and red bell pepper.Blueberries-n-grapefruit; flatbread; fake-crab salad.
    Lower tray contains homemade bean fritters and sliced bell pepper; upper tier is soup-ingredients – spinach, chikuwa, and instant dashi (in the foil tubey thing with the Japanese writing on it). And a manju with green tea filling.Tiny bits of bread and butter, pearl tomatoes, and (in the round container) Better Than Bouillon paste mixed with onions and chard bits; hot water turns it into soup.
    gently feral
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Wow, you guys are great. I just scanned over your suggestions. I will come back later and read them in more detail.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    fruit salad with apples, strawberries, grapes, raspberries, Peaches and bananas, I top a bowl of it with strawberries or peach yogurt, and lite whipped topping. ( sometime I put in Cottage cheese)

My other snack is Apple cinnamon or Caramel Rice Cakes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit