How much does a house cost in your area - Is it affordable???

by Witness 007 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

http://www.mls.ca

is a link to the majority of real estate listings in Canada. Doing a search in my area there exactly 6 detached 3 bedroom homes listed for under $400k.

So no, this area isn't really affordable.

• Peppermint
  • RisingEagle
    RisingEagle

You could pick up a really nice 3 br brick home in Okc for less than $200k. I just did a reverse mortgage for a couple that lives about 45 minutes outside of Okc on Saturday. They put their house, large barn and 5 acres up for the loan and it was right at $200k. In the midst of out conversation they told me that the wife still has 33 acres of improved land (gas, water and electric) available to sell at $2k an acre.

In 2003 we bought a 1800 sq ft 3 br home (not a very large yard) in a suburb of Denver for $240k. In talking to friends from the old neighborhood we were told that the street we lived on is foreclosure central. Sad.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

2 years ago I bought my 2 bedroom, 2.25 bath 1500sq ft town home for $529k in Ventura County California.

-Aude.

• sinis
    sinis

Within a year or two tangible assets including property will devalue at least 60%. Banks are insolvent and people are either upside down or are losing "the banks" home. Very tough times ahead on a global scale...

• moshe
    moshe

You can buy a nice older bungalow within eysight and walking distance of the new Colt's football stadium going up in Indianapolis/USA for way under $100,000, of course you will probably get mugged walking to your football game. Across the county line 10-15 miles up north, in Carmel, the median house price is about $450,000. Houses for the most part are very affordable and there are many nice neighborhoods with 2000+ sf homes for about $150,000.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Where I live modest 3 bedroom end of terrace properties with very small garden and no garage go for about £230,000 ($448,000US).

I was in Hampstead, a very nice suburb of London today and I noticed in an Estate Agents window was a 3 bedroom flat for £2,350,000 ($4,582,500)!!!!

regards

SAB

• Es
    Es

Where I live is quite reasonable, we are about a 30 min drive from Melbourne city, you could prob pick up a three bedroom two bathroom from $250,000 upwards.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

In our area you can get an older 3 bd, 2 ba for around $100,000. A newly built 3/2 2000 sq ft would start around $200,000. Our house is on an acre, 4000 sq ft, all brick, 4 bd 4 1/2 ba, was $400,000. We designed it and had it built a year ago. But a house getting built down the street is $1.8 million. It is massive a bit over done. Our house is about median in our neighborhood.

momz

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

2 bedroom (+ a box room so technically 3 bedroom!) brick semi - £120,000 (about $240,000)

If I was starting out now, there's no way I could afford anything - even houses in 'less desireable' areas start at around £80,000 ($160,000). I was fortunate to get on the property ladder just before house prices rocketed in the late 1980's.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit