How much does a house cost in your area - Is it affordable???

by Witness 007 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• mkr32208
    mkr32208
    most lenders will lend 4 x salary depending on how much the house is worth, I have heard of some lenders prepared to lend 7 x salary or more if the borrower had a decent downpayment. You don't have to earn a fortune to get a mortgage anywhere - one of the reasons for the sub prime mess.

I would be TERRIFIED to do something like that! One little thing and your done. When we bought our 30k house G and I were BOTH making in the 20s. We considered buying the one across the street (thats now 541k) at the time it was 105k but we woiuld probrably have been forclosed on after I could hurt in 03. The house we have now (while it's not quite as big and isn't on the river) we can make the pmt working at burger king if we have to!

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

I live in a rural area of California, USA. Compared to San Francisco it is affordable. A 45 year old house with three bedrooms and two baths on about a 1/4 acre fetches nearly 350,000! REE-Diculous. The newer and fancier houses around here are closer to half a million US dollars.

• nelly136
    nelly136

if the credit card companies are starting to review whose high risk , i'm guessing the mortgage companies might be following.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7222336.stm

Credit cards are to be withdrawn from 161,000 Egg customers who it believes pose an unacceptably "high risk".

The internet bank is writing to 7% of its customers to give them 35 days' notice of the withdrawal.

Cardholders will be able to continue making minimum monthly repayments on their balances but will not be able to spend any more after the deadline.

• esw1966
    esw1966

I live in Bellingham, Washington, USA.

There are 13 homes under $250,000 in the whole county! Those houses are all rotten. The median income is $50,000 a year for a family. I'm not sure who is buying those houses!

My rent is $850 a month for a 'two' bedroom, they turned our living room into a 'bedroom' with no closet by putting up French doors. The place has about 600 square feet! (TOTAL)

It sure is beautiful here though. Mountains and on the ocean. A great place for retired people from California......

(I'm going back to Wisconsin hoping that I can buy a house there!)

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

in my area the houses are from $450k to $1 million.

I'll be lucky when my mortgage is paid off in 5 years.

unlucky with the tax man for then there will be way less deductions!

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

i dont see how you all can afford to live in those places.

The town I live in the Midwest (US) has pretty affordable housing... I dont know what normal prices are...I would guess 3/2s are in the 120-200k and up US range..depending on locale. These same houses go for $500-800k (US) in California.....location location location.

I live on the border of the 'hood. Not a bad neighborhood, not a great neighborhood. We had the first new house built in the neighborhood next door to me a couple years ago. The builder was an idiot. He built a 3 bedroom 1 bathroom... Who the hell builds a new 1 bathroom? NO BASEMENT....NO GARAGE.... very little storage....about 1,000 sq. ft. Bank told him it would go for $85,000 (US). He couldn't even sell it for $70,000. So he has been renting it out for $500 (US) a month.... I think the family next door now is the second to go in there. The builder has a double deep lot...I think the lot is approx 75 ft frontage, by 200ft depth.... twice as deep as my lot...so he had plenty of room to build a bit bigger house and a garage. He was greedy, thought he could buy the vacant lot cheap, build a cheap frame house, and cash out....oops....

MY house that I rent is needing a lot of work. 800 sq ft.... 2 bedroom, 1 bath.... basement (not usable for storage because of water issues..only has furnace and water heater down there now)....my landlord offered the house to me for $15,000 (US) a few years ago....but I thought I was moving away (MTS assignment.... ::argh:::), which I didn't. He recently tried to sell the place for $25,000...couldn't get a bite. He has made a lot of money off me over the 9 years I have been here... I figured I paid so far $35,000 US in rent..... I bet if I offered him $15k now he would take it.... but it needs a new foundation, all new windows...at least $10,000 in renovations...inside is fine...just needs cosmetic work....

Snakes ()

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

BlackSwan...

You might check out the St. Louis, MO area.... some manufacturing, but losing to overseas factories, like many places. There are tons of warehousing and trucking companies here...UPS has a major hub in St. Louis county and a smaller hub in the city. The housing is even cheaper on the Illinois side of the river than the Missouri side.... There is a lot of new housing stock on the market....and the real estate market in this area does not seem to spike or dive as steeply as the rest of the country....so if you moved here for long term, it is likely you would retain/increase the value of your home (my previous story an exception because the guy was an idiot..he deserves to lose his shirt.)

http://www.stltoday.com/ for the link to the local paper. Just don't buy/rent in St. Louis CITY... St. Louis and St. Charles counties are fine...the St. Louis city schools lost accreditation last year... Illinois is your better bet...less traffic... many here work in Missouri and live in Illinois.....

Snakes ()

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

snakes: question a little off topic?

why is there no gentlemens club in the st. louis missouri side, but cross over the bridge onto east st. louis.......... and there are alot of them?

was there 6 years ago

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit