How much does a house cost in your area - Is it affordable???

by Witness 007 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land

Lots of trucks on the road here. DFW airport is a major hub of incoming international freight. Look at UPS or some of the many private carriers on the West and North side of the airport.

The one thing that is out of whack here is electricity rates. Expensive (14 cents kW/hour and up). With Air Conditioning, it can add up!

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Plano and North Dallas can be expensive, but most of the rest of the area is pretty reasonable. IMO though a lot of the suburbs just seem to lack the character that older more established towns did back east, it just seems bland and cookie-cutterish to me. You can get a McMansion in McKinney for about 200k. I payed about 110k for a 2bed 1.5 bath townhome.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

TJ, yeah I believe it. The other option we've explored is Nevada and I've heard the same thing about there.

Hey, they'll get ya somehow right?

UPS is something he is definitely interested in as they are a pretty good company to work for. We're settling some things up here and then will figure out the best way to make a move. It's a huge one ya know?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I'm in a suburb of Boston. I sold my parent's house in Westwood in 1979 for just under 100,000.00. Beautiful house on an acre 3 bedrooms 2 1/2 baths...top of the line everything. 2 fireplaces...amazing kitchen..... 2500 sq ft plus a basement with a fireplace and another 2500 sq ft that could have been finished (part above grade with full windows and private entrance)... Built like a fortress.... Been kicking myself all over the lot because today it's worth close to a 1,000,000.00. Hind sight is soooooo 20/20

Coffee

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

3 bedroom house - 1 en suite + vkitchen, lounge , utility + bathroom and hallway and 1 acre of land 80,000 US dollars. Pretty damn reasonable

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I have a house for sale in Mid Michigan. The town still has a major chemical company nearby and always has a steady flow of engineers and professionals transfering in.

It's about 8 acres, 1700 sq ft (plus full basment and large 2 car garage). Barn, horse pens, and a productive hay feild.

All on a paved road... 5 miles from a mall and in one of the best school districts in the state.

A year ago it appraised for $245k. I have it forsale for $237k and would make a deal if someone would look at it. Next 2 counties over ... you can have your pick of repo's and firesale houses. I think the buyers in the area are heading into Bay and Saginaw to "make a deal".

Work was slow in Michigan so we moved to Oklahoma. I was offered a job here. Wife found a good job too... way better than the one she had up north.

In the OKC metro area the average Mc Mansion goes for about $225K. You can find big chunks of ranch land or small houses. It all seems pretty resonable but you have to watch school ratings. A good house on 10 to 20 acres seems to be a premium and hard to find.

If I can sell the Michigan place I will go shopping here and think we can find a good value. I can carry the Michigan place for a while but will lease it this spring. As soon as the lease is signed the recession will lift and buyers will be knee deep....

~Hill

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Gotta look but the deals are there in Jax at least. My house was three deep lots (25X75) about 1000 square foot home one bed one bath when I bought it in 97 for 30k Now it's about 1400 square foot two bed two bath and when I get out of school I'm adding two more beds and a bath. What with playing with mortgages and all that my Mort is 60k ish 460 pmt. The house right across the street (well catty corner) is for sale for 541k but no buyers. (admittedly it is RIGHT on the river where I'm a street off)

I've a friend who lives ten miles from me who's asking 250k for his 1100 two bed one bath. My parents live three miles from him and just bought a three bed one bath on an acre (right off the river in Jacksonville) for 125k. About one mile from them they own two three bed one bath brick houses side by side (same floor plans) one they got for 77k one for 68k. Two blocks up they bought another house for my brother three bed one bath with a HUGE garage and three deep city lots for 18k. So if you look sometimes you can find deals...

That said most of my family is in real estate so they get deals that are just going to market or haven't even gone to market yet...

• besty
    besty

SweetPea and I are moving from London to LA in the next few weeks - we've just sold our 1500sq ft 4 bed 2 bath house (we hope)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-16645357.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

£575,000 - got the asking price within 10 days of putting it on the market - so out of the small part of the global property market that actually affects my wallet I have to say that things are not at all bad.

We are moving to Manhattan Beach in LA - take a bow Dogpatch for blazing the trail for 27 years - which is also a pretty pricey part of the world. Renting a 4,500 sq ft 5 bed 4 bath house for $10.500 per month, probably worth about $2m.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-16645357.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

I am in love with your home!

I just sold mine today! Yes almost doubled the price I bought it for. (maybe 3/4'ed) It feels like a lot, but I know it can be gone just like that! *snap* so I have to think it all out...

I am pretty excited tho***

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I just need to know what in the (*&^^ you guys are doing to afford mortgages like that! According to bank rate you need 100k income and 25k down to get a 250k mortgage so WTF are you guys doing to make that kind of money? A really good job in Jacksonville is 35-55k a year!

What are you all neurosurgeons or something?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit