Any interesting wildlife where you live?

by Nosferatu 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I never used to see much for interesting wildlife until I moved into my house 3 years ago. I've seen some neat stuff. There's lots of woodpeckers around here. I'd never seen one before I moved here.

A couple years ago, I saw my very first owl. It was sitting in our tree.

Last year, a deer walked across our lawn. I couldn't believe it! Neither could my wife until we went outside and saw it walking down the street.

Last year, I also had a groundhog make his home under my shed. Needless to say, I put an end to that :)

What about you?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Does this animal count as interesting wildlife?

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Yes, anything that could eat one of your pets is definately interesting :)

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

There is nothing like seeing a New York City rat. Sometimes when you stand at the subway you can look down and see them scurrying around.

Is that what you meant by wildlife?

• Bourne
    Bourne

Squirrels and LOTS of small lizards who think they are much bigger than they actually are.....in other words.....ballsy.

Bourne

• brinjen
    brinjen

Frogs, lizards, goannas, toads, bats.

• loosie
    loosie

In our backyard and garage we have had racoons, opossums, snakes. growing up in CA, I hadn't seen wildlife in my backyard before. When I moved to KS we saw lots of animals. We have rabbits in our yard, red cardinals, skinks, squirels ( they love to tease the cats).

I like them all except the snake. I could do w/o the snake. I know its only a garden snake but I don't care.

• DJK
    DJK

Five years ago I moved from the city into this wooded area.

Many owls, hawks, falcons and hummingbirds here. Deer come in almost daily/nightly. Fox, racoon, fisher, opossum and coyote also come by frequently. I haven't SEEN a skunk, yet something digs up inground wasp nests to eat the larve and skunks will do that.

There are unconfirmed reports of bear, moose and a mountain lion sighted in the next town.

Wood turtles, frogs and other amphibians.

And there are some really prehistoric looking insects around here too.

Without the bugs, I could call it paradise.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

As our part of the world has warmed up, I have noticed new speces of birds. Possibly from further south, and right now wishing they were back home. Weather alert-5-10 more cm's of snow tonight! The birdbath is frozen still!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

pretty much everything DJK said, we have, probably cuz we're from the same neck of woods.........although, one night, when i was walking from my car to the house i looked up just in time to see the pale belly of a flying squirrel as it coasted from one patch of trees to the other..........we HAD a beautiful almost all white skunk, til some A--HOLE hit her............one night last summer my bf was sitting on the back patio and realized she was under his chair!!! LOL! When she realized he was there she left quickly, but, peacefully...........he was freaked out when he came back in the house........me, i almost peed my pants laughing...........oh, and NY44M we have woods rats too.........they live near the brook near our house.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit