Funny things you thought growing up -

by cognac 31 Replies latest jw friends

• knock knock
    knock knock

I was about 9 or so and watching the news one night it was said that such and such criminal would be "re-hanged". I was in total shock, couldn't believe that such a thing would be carried out! Luckily for him he was only arraigned.

The mother of a once upon a time friend of mine told me this one. Seems my friend was very talkative when he was threeish. One day in the car he was standing in the seat and apparently had this astonished look about him. His mom asked what happened and he said "I just said something.....but you didn't hear me did you?" He just learned that he could think and no one could hear. I just always found that funny.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    The mother of a once upon a time friend of mine told me this one. Seems my friend was very talkative when he was threeish. One day in the car he was standing in the seat and apparently had this astonished look about him. His mom asked what happened and he said "I just said something.....but you didn't hear me did you?" He just learned that he could think and no one could hear. I just always found that funny.

knock knock - thank you for that breath of fresh air - so cute.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Looks like a good place to put the intro to a book I'm working on-

Nearly every human is going to die a horrible death in a matter of months; years at the most. The sun will be darkened and buildings will be shaken until they crumble and fall. The ground will swallow people whole and fire will rain down from the sky. Nowhere will be safe.
    Once most people have been wiped out, the survivors are going to set about cleaning up the extensive damage and making the Earth a paradise. Each survivor will live for a thousand years, and then they will be tested. Those who pass the test will live forever.
    Around a dozen or so elderly men living in Brooklyn, New York right now, hold the key to avoiding destruction. They are called the Governing Body, and they have a privileged link to the one who has set all this in motion. The things they say should be listened to carefully, and the rules they set should be followed to the letter. It is the only way to stay alive.
    As fanciful as that may sound, that is exactly what I used to believe. It was not because I had an overactive imagination. It was because my parents told me these things were true. They were Jehovah's Witnesses.

• arwen
    arwen

This thread is sooooooooo funny.. I am laughing crying... Thanks.. When my son was little and the seat belt law was just coming into effect here I would tell him,"Put your belt on or you will go flying out the window... He told me years later that he thought he would actually "fly" out the window. One time I was getting him ready to go out and I said to him," you are a wreck" and he said, "you mean like a rectangle??? I never forgot that. When I was a teenager, the signs on cars in a car lot would read 5600. and I thought the car was only fifty six dollars..Brain dead or what???? I once thought my sister's freckle removing creme would remove more of my freckles if I put more on my face so I lathered it on...after a few days of this areas on my face just dried up and flaked off and I had big patches of white on my face...

• snowbird
    snowbird

Until the age of ten, I thought babies were delivered orally.

Sylvia

• pmouse
    pmouse

This will probably date me, but when I was a child, I continually waited for our black and white television set to broadcast the television show "in living color" as promised. It fooled me every time.

I also thought that airmail (back then) meant that you drove your car really fast down the highway and put the letter out the window where it would magically find it's addressee. My father pulled that one when I whined and whined about the Walt Disney show not showing enough cartoons on Sunday nights. I dictated a letter to my mother who put it down on paper and into an envelope for me.

I also tried to mail a letter to my aunt and told the postman that the address was the White House. Because she lived in a white house. Doh!

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

My sister and neighbor and I would ride our bikes in our neighborhood playing Charlie's Angels. We had little boxes that were our walkie talkies. And I was very fluent in my made up language and pig latin.

I used to pray to Jehovah when I was around 10 to make me pregnant like he did Mary.

When I was young I would beg my mom for a baby sister. She always said not until the Paradise. She got pregnant with my sister when I was 3 1/2 and I remember asking her if it was the paradise. And I lifted up a sister's dress to see where the baby that was making her huge was at.

momz

• exwitless
    exwitless

When I was little, I didn't understand the concept that different TV channels would only advertise for shows on their own channels. I used to get so aggravated when they would play a preview for a show and then say, "Tonight at 9 p.m.". I remember saying, "They never say what channel it's on! How are we supposed to know what channel?" I don't know why my family didn't just explain that to me. I would've understood...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I was a little kid when I read (in the Awake) an article about Swedish massage. I was always interested but I thought I had to go to Sweden to learn it. I remember, in the days before everyone had a phone, being sent by my mother with a dime to make a phone call. She gave me the number as *** oh*** so I dialed the letter O rather than the number 0 and got a wrong number. My mother was so irritated...

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

At night I though there was someone in my closet. I walked and talked in my sleep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit