Funny things you thought growing up -

by cognac 31 Replies latest jw friends

• cognac
    cognac

1. A "shower" as in "baby shower" or "wedding shower" was when a bunch of people got together to take a shower together. Which didn't go over well with me when my mom wanted to go to a shower without my dad.

2. When my father said to my mom that he was going to marry somebody, as in do there vows or something, i thought he was going to marry somebody else and start another family. i almost fainted when he told me that he was leaving to go do that.

3. When you went on a honeymoon you actually went to the moon.

4. Jehovah and Mary were married because Jehovah was Jesus' dad and Mary was his mom. Of course, when I asked my dad if they were married he told me he didn't know and proceeded to have me ask every other elder in the hall. (didn't figure this one out til years later, I thought, though, I had figured out something new.)

5. I used to talk to satan at night and beg him to say sorry to Jehovah so that they could be friends again and this whole argument could be over with.

well, that's all I could think of for now, if I remember anything else, I'll post.

• Mulan
    Mulan

My father was a Naturopathic Physician, so our diet was a bit strict............many foods we didn't eat, like no milk drinking, and the only thing I remember foodwise was asparagus...............I have no idea why, but Dad changed his mind eventually on that. So, when I was at other JW's homes for dinner and they were drinking milk or had asparagus on the table, I was shocked. In my child's mind, it was all wrapped up in being a JW.

I also thought in the song "Silent Night", that you were singing for baby Jesus to sleep in "heavenly peas".

• changeling
    changeling

You have an "nf" brain. Go to humanmetrics.com, take the test and tell me if I'm right.

I grew up in the VIetnam era. Every night on the news they would talk about "guerilla warfare". I thought they meant "gorilla warfare" and that the soldiers were fighting gorrilas.

changeling

• dinah
    dinah

That's funny Changeling.

I used to think there were actually little people in the radio and tv.

• changeling
    changeling

My husband (return visitor), thought cats were female dogs.

changeling

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey cognac,

I have always loved words but wasn't always sure of their correct pronunciation or proper meaning when I was a kid:

1) cute - pronounced cutty.

2) young - pronounced you - unj.

3) bros. - however much my older sister insisted, I refused to believe it stood for brothers.

4) anew - a new what? (as in, if we could start anew).

5) island - meant is land, as in this is land earth.

I continue to have questions ...

CoCo

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

When I was as kid before I was old enough to go to school seeing a commercial of Nestles $100,000 candy bar, I thought it actually costed $100,000. I really didn't have the concept of money that young.

LRG

• Cc81
    Cc81

At one time my parents were looking to buy a condo. Well i thought they said we were going to live in a condom... and i went and told EVERYONE that we were going to live in a condom. my parents let me do that for a while before they corrected me.. haha.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I used to wonder if I'd been placed in an experiment by aliens who wanted to see if I'd figure out my religion was a scam.

(I got there eventually, but they haven't let me out yet.)

5. I used to talk to satan at night and beg him to say sorry to Jehovah so that they could be friends again and this whole argument could be over with.

Ha! An entirely sensible idea actually, if Yahweh is a forgiving God.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I could never figure out why my father's coffee would get cold but my milk would get warm when the two mugs were left out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit