Can the WTBTS change 1914 and survive?

by jefferywhat 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

The society has changed equally as big doctrines in the past, but could this end the illusion?

I have read a lot of Leolaia posts and have seen the attempt of Scholar to counteract however unconvincingly.

Im not after conspiracy, Im after fact, could they move the end of the gentile times to 1934/35? Does it fit?

Could they just say despite the maths, the answers right?

Leolaia, I want to hear from you on this, you seem to be the authority, is there a solution?

Please, leave the milk to other threads, I want solids!!!

• Must obey!
    Must obey!

Your after fact, about whether the Society could shift from one bogus date to another? I think you mean you are after solid speculation?

Yes, they can practically do anything they like and as long as the sheeple remain spellbound by the notion that the GB are a modern day version of the first century apostles & older men, the Tower will get away with it.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Of course they can, religion is not based on logic, it is based on emotion.

It has already been proved that the religion would survive when Rutherford dismantled all the dates of Russell, including moving the start of the Last Days from 1799 and Jesus presence from 1874. Most of the Bible Students ended up leaving, but enough stayed to allow the religion to survive.

Another case is the Worldwide Church of God. http://www.jwfacts.com/religion/churchofgod.htm They changed almost all doctrine a few years ago, including starting to teach the Trinity. A lot left, but not all.

An end date is not what keeps people JWs, it is that it is a mind control cult. http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/mindcontrol.htm A cult does not have to promise the end of the world, they just have to convince their followers that they are unique, speaking for God and the sole means of salvation.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I've come to realise something since leaving. When you're out, and taking on board information and thinking for yourself, it can be difficult to view things from a JW's point of view, even though you used to be one. At least I find it to be the case. If someone wants, or needs, to believe something enough, they will - however absurd.

Unfortunately, yes; of course the WTBTS can change 1914 and survive, due to the reasons already stated.

• Honesty
    Honesty

The Watchtower Society only needs one thing to survive...

People who believe that there really is a "Faithful Slave" who Jesus appointed over all His belongings.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

No, it can not.

• sir82
    sir82

It doesn't have to.

Remember the phrase from -- I think -- the Revelation book, maybe the Proclaimers book, about how the Bible Students calculated 1914?

They originally had the destruction of Jerusalem pegged to the year 606 BCE, added 2520 to 606, and came up with 1914. As the book explained (paraphrase) "Providentially the Bible Students forgot that there was no '0 year', so when a change was made to 607BCE, the 1914 date still stood."

Providentially.

All the WTS has to do is say "world events since 1914 prove we are in the time of the end (world wars, Spanish flu, food shortages, yada yada yada). Providentially, we thought Jerusalem was destroyed in 607 which led to our calculation of 1914. Well, 607 is wrong, but 1914 still stands. Jehovah allowed us to use the wrong method to get the right result. Providentially, of course."

Problem solved, case closed, all the brain-dead JWs coo about "how humble the FDS is to admit its mistakes! Jehovah must certainly be using them!"

• seek2find
    seek2find

I fully agree with what Honesty says about the faithful slave teaching. It alone is the key to the survival of the organization. This was highlighted and emphasized in the talk at the DC this past summer. It was the last talk of the day on Friday and was called something like, "They follow the lamb wherever he goes" I a nutshell, it said that the "faithful slave" should be trusted no matter what. As long as they can convince the loyal to stay loyal to the "Slave", anything else can be changed with little impact. I expect to see the faithful slave teaching be more emphasized in the future and I think the talk will be put into a upcoming study article. In my opinion the "slave" has tried to take the place of the master, and will be severely punished upon the masters return.(See Matt.24:50,51) seek2find

• uninformed
    uninformed

When they "disconnected" 1914 from the "Generation" that saw the events in 1914 and would live to see the end, they effectively CHANGED 1914, at least in substance.

They have survived, and like others have said, as long as you have "faith" in the "unfaithful and indiscreet slave" then 1914 is not even on their radar.

Brant

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

You have to remeber that organised religion once put to death people who said the Earth was a sphere and it survived well and good.

Organisations are unaccountable and metamorphosal! Rarely do their followers see the perspective of outsiders!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit