10,000 Line Up For a Walmart Job

by sammielee24 65 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    10,000 Apply For A Job
    At One New Wal-Mart! By Judith Moriarty
    1-11-8
    Candidates having raised tens of millions of dollars and traveling around the country in luxury buses or private jets, arguing over who has the most 'experience' - who is a Mormon (therefore disqualified) - who's not a 'true Republican' (Ron Paul) who's picking on Hillary (Edwards) - who can grab the Evangelical vote - who is totally ignored (Kucinich) - who claims 911 makes him the protector of us all etc, (Rooty)...meanwhile, the real story of what is happening in America - evictions, foreclosures, unemployment - is being totally ignored. This EXPERIENCE from those who've been in Foggy Bottom so long that they're mildewed - has resulted in the rusting and disappearance of the American dream. ATLANTIC JOURNAL CONSTITUTION - Jan 11-08: 10,000 Keep Eyes Open For A Job At Wal-Mart. "For the fourth consecutive day people waited in
    long lines for a shot at a new Wal-Mart in Dekalb County, pushing the total number of applicants beyond 10,000. Beginning Monday, after no advertising or any signs, the throngs of hopeful applicants continued to pour into a church converted into a job processing center - all vying for only 350 available jobs. The job seeking FRENZY may be a peek into a larger economic picture. Wal-Mart has long declined to reveal starting salaries at the store, but reports that the average hourly wage for full-time associates is $10.65 an hour."
    Note - Wal-Mart hires people on at mostly part-time positions. Most alarming is that Wal-Mart is our nation's largest employer . We no longer mfg the quality goods that America was known for. Now Wal-Mart is filled with Chinese goods of inferior quality. Ten dollars an hour is not a livable wage in these economic times of escalating prices. --JM
  • AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

Excellent post. I feel so fortunate that I have a decent job with decent wages and decent benefits. I don't know how anyone can make it on a minimum wage job or even @ $10.00 an hour.

My gas bill for this past month was $390.00 for crying out loud. FOR HEAT, a necessity.

I do not understand how we, as a nation, can not pay people a decent wage. It makes me sick.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Don't worry, the invisible hand of the market will take care of them. :p

• oompa
    oompa

I find this story difficult to believe......................oompa

• Mincan
    Mincan

Move to France...if you're eligable. Full time 35 hours a week. 5 weeks paid vacation. College/University free. Same with health care.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

*sings La Marseillaise*

• oompa
    oompa

maybe I could be a legal male prostitute in France!!.....I will check on it.................oompa

• PEC
    PEC
    I find this story difficult to believe......................oompa

I agree with Oompa on this one.

Philip

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

Good for Walmart! And by the way, anyone that goes to work for Walmart has the opportunity, if they choose to apply themselves and pursue it, to move up, advance, and make much more than the federal minimum wage! A far cry from employers like Ford, GM, Chrysler, The US Postal Service, UPS, other companies that are shrinking and not expanding like Walmart....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Where is dekalb county? It does seem a hard to believe story.

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit