10,000 Line Up For a Walmart Job

by sammielee24 65 Replies latest jw friends

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

dekalb county is in Atlanta.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

And if they work really hard they'll get RICH!

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

let me rephrase that--part of Atlanta is in DeKalb county....

And this is really nothing new. Anytime Walmart expands in the ever-expanding Atlanta market, this is the norm when they open a new store. Unemployment in the Atlanta metro area is below 3% and jobs are plentiful.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

who said anything about getting rich? the last time I checked we are all just trying to make a living.

• PEC
    PEC
    And if they work really hard they'll get RICH!

No one gets rich, working for someone else, unless you happen to be the CEO! Philip

• 5go
    5go
    Don't worry, the invisible hand of the market will take care of them. :p

You don't like it when you don't get your way

First of all it did which is why they upped their wages. Secondly most of their items don't even break in to the 10% in labor cost. It was just stupid of them to keep wages so low and get such a bad reputation as they did. Which will haunt them for decades to come.
  • DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Some living...:(

Wal-Mart Wages

• Wal-Mart pays an average hourly wage of $8.23 an hour, according to independent expert statistical analysis, which falls below basic living wage standards and even below poverty lines.
    • Wal-Mart claims an hourly wage of $9.68 an hour is its national average, though that still equals poverty levels for workers. Since “full time” at Wal-Mart is 34 hours a week according to company policy, full-time workers make a mere $17,114.24 a year—below the federal poverty level for a family of four.
    • The most common Wal-Mart jobs earn less.
      • A sales associate--the most common job classification--earns on average $8.23 per hour ($13,861 annually)
      • A cashier—the second most common job—earns about $7.92 per hour ($11,948 annually)
      • Sales associates and cashiers combined account for more than a third of all Wal-Mart jobs.
    • The world’s largest and richest retailer—with more than $250 billion in annual revenue--can afford wage increases. Wal-Mart could pay each employee a dollar more per hour if the company increased its prices by a half-penny per dollar. For example, a $2.00 pair of socks would then cost $2.01. This minimal increase would annually add up to $1,800 for each employee.
    • A Wal-Mart spokesperson told USA Today on 1/29/03 that their pay is close to or equal to union wages.

http://www.ufcw.org/press_room/fact_sheets_and_backgrounder/walmart/wages.cfm

• beksbks
    beksbks

Here are the same pics and info from The Atlanta Journal Constitution

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/01/10/walmartfollo_0111.html

• brinjen
    brinjen

My I ask something? I posted this question on another thread but it dosen't look like it's going to be answered...

In the US is the minimum wage set according to age? Here in Oz, the minimum wage is $13.47 per hour. Under 17's only get 50% of that, because, as it's been pointed out someone that age usually won't have a family to feed and is inexperienced. The percentages increase until the age of 21. From what I can gather, it seems to be the same minimum wage across all ages.

*Edited to add*

Cancel that, someone just responded.

• beksbks
    beksbks

And here is an interesting site while I'm at it. http://walmartwatch.com/issues/health_care/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit