10,000 Line Up For a Walmart Job

by sammielee24 65 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Hi Tatiana! Yep - around and around the Mulberry bush..as they say!

You have some good ideas here, Sammie. I've always thought volunteer work should be part of any assistance program. But if I had said it here, I would have been lambasted....lol

Believe it or not, in Canada at my niece's public school it is part of the necessary curriculum for them. Once in high school, she has to meet a specific number of hours on her volunteer program by the time she is ready to graduate. It's a great program as far as I'm concerned but then again, I started volunteering as a candy striper at the local hospital when I was a teenager, while I was working as a babysitter whenever I could to earn some money - part of which was handed over to help out at home. I understand the value of a job and the balancing act of taking and giving. I also understand the value of people and how much we strip them of their worth when we hold them down instead of helping them up. I've seen people beat down and wore out by trying to live but just surviving and I understand that we are all different - that life isn't always about judging the other guy but by understanding him first. sammieswife.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

It seems blindingly obvious to me that if 10,000 people are competing for 350 jobs, then Wal-Mart are paying too much, not too little. At the current rate of pay, demand outstrips supply by almost 30 to 1. Wal-Mart could reduce the rate they're offering and a significant number of those people would still be willing to work there.

If Wal-Mart were forced to pay more, not only would there be even more people competing for the jobs, there would likely be fewer jobs as Wal-Mart cut costs to remain competitive.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It seems blindingly obvious to me that if 10,000 people are competing for 350 jobs, then Wal-Mart are paying too much, not too little. At the current rate of pay, demand outstrips supply by almost 30 to 1. Wal-Mart could reduce the rate they're offering and a significant number of those people would still be willing to work there.

If Wal-Mart were forced to pay more, not only would there be even more people competing for the jobs, there would likely be fewer jobs as Wal-Mart cut costs to remain competitive.

So true.To hear the anti Wal-mart types one would think that these thousands of people are lining up to be "exploited". I think this article is an indicator of what is happening in the real US economy, and it is far worse than the ivory tower "statistics". Burn

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

My wife read this and I pointed out to her that the stock market hasn't had this bad an opening for the year since 1982. I graduated in 1982 and I had trouble finding work of any type. It's going to be ugly this year. Thank goodness I scaled my expenses way back over the last year.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

it's really sad that working in skilled trades (like a entry level plumber or carpenter) on a non -union job you wont do much better. when it rains and the job shuts down ~ well, ya just dont get paid. And most small business dont offer affordable, good insurance packages.

The economy may be a 3.9% un-employment but that figure does not include those who are out-of-benefits and those who just are not looking for a job anymore. Factor in those to groups and the number will double. There are still a lot of "non-skilled" workers out there looking for a job.

US welfare. If a family needs a "little" help forget it. To get on the tit you have to go all the way. Find any single mom (or Dad) who needed to use one program ..like after school care... and finds it's only available to them if they made even "less" money. The whole system is rigged to keep you down...

I hate Walmart... they are the bane of the local retail economy... and they have forced a lot of manufacturing form the US and Canada to China and the Pacific rim. But if the new store is the biggest game in town... well, if I didnt have a job I'd be in line too.

Perot's "giant sucking sound" was our work going oversees. The US needs to go back to an semi-isolationist,agraian stance or get back into the business of making STEEL and DURABLE GOODS. Our Economy is about to become 2 guys at McDonalds, selling insurance to each other unless we get it together.

~Hill

VOTE YOUR PAYCHECK...It's still the ECONOMY,stupid!

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The economy may be a 3.9% un-employment but that figure does not include those who are out-of-benefits and those who just are not looking for a job anymore. Factor in those to groups and the number will double. There are still a lot of "non-skilled" workers out there looking for a job.

That figure also does not capture the massive, massive downturn in real estate. A huge number, perhaps even a majority, of construction workers are private contractors and sub contractors. They are self employed and hence do not get counted in the unemployment figures. The same goes for real estate brokers, agents, and mortgate brokers and many in allied lines of work. Also, if my own experience is a guide, a very large percentage of illegal aliens worked in the construction trades. Many of them even own houses here in my general area.They may not be officially counted in the figure above, but very many have lost their jobs. The Spanish congos in my area are at half attendance. They have left town. Some have gone back to Mexico or wherever. Whether the official number counts it or not the unemployment of millions of people, be they illegal or not, has a strong impact on the economy in general. I think Greenspan noted recently that it is not the economic modeling that is used that is faulty, but that the information that the deciders receive is often poor and out of date. The artificially low figure of 3.9% (it is now 4% IIRC) is a bad economic "signal" and is totally out of line with the reality in many parts of the country right now.

Burn

• dawg
    dawg

I didn't have time to read all the posts so please excuse if i step on toes...

But the stroy about the 10K applying for jobs is true... and to whomever said that jobs are plentyful in the ATL that's also true... shitty jobs.

Lets face it folks, the Republican economic stragety doesn't work... in the new "global" market, where companies can move wherever they can escape trade unions, OSHA, the EPA and the like they are d so doing... taking high paying jobs with them. ANd what has kept the econpmy afloat the last few years... housing. Its over guys, the economy is going down which I predicted,a nd almost got in a fight over with a UGA professor, 10 years ago.

Diverse economies survive, our economy is no longer diverse... we're going to go down in a a hurry!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    dekalb county is in Atlanta.

Or Indiana. I work at a Walmart Distribution center there. They told us right after we opened that they had interviewed 12,000 applicants for the 450 they hired by that point. So I find this story plausible. BTW - anyone who believes Walmart is good for the economy and the workers it hires is not sipping from the cup of reality - I have seen this joke from the inside. I only work there because I make very good money. But those who work in the stores are basically sales agents for China. There is opportunity for advancement; if you like to kiss asses as they are bared, and leave your brain at the door. Every day is like walking on eggs. I saw them fire an excellent long time employee for a minor damage to a case of orange juice once. I wonder every day if I will be working tommorrow. At 50 something, with senority, that is not a very good feeling. Jeff

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Walmart is the kind of work place that makes Unions seem viable.

~Hill

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Jeff, Hillbilly, Dawg....

There are no words to describe how much I love you guys right now.

People truly do not get what Walmart is doing to the average American community.

Buy American peeps. I don't know how many times I can say that. Buy American.

Stop Funding Other Countries!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit