Have You Ever Gone Back In Time?

by freydi 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Just curious, which high school was that? I probably know of it.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Hi David. It was Colonel White High School. It was one of the best schools in Dayton in its' day. I toured the building with others one last time this past weekend, and feel sad knowing that a very big part of my history will be gone. Visiting ghosts from the past is never easy.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Wow, I didnt know they were tearing down Colonel White. They were one of our rivals in high school. So where are those students going now, or has the population just dropped that much?

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Java,

They just tore down the school my wife attended when she was young and they are tearing down the old Fieldcrest warehouse where I first went to work in 1955. I went by there a few years ago and went inside and looked at the place where I worked. The floor was made of hard wood and still shiney. It was full of birds, we stored blankets in bens and filled orders to be boxed and sent to business. It was two stories and about 500 ft. long. Oh so many memories. I met my current wife there before her husband died. She was pregnant with my step daughter before I left that working area. I never thought I would ever be married to her. I thought she was a very pretty girl though.

Ken P.

• JAVA
    JAVA

David -- The inner-city school age population has been decreasing in Dayton for some time. In 1965 there were 428 graduates from Colonel White, and I don't think they had 50 graduate last year. The few remaining students will go to Roth or some of the other HS. Ken P. -- It's a strange feeling going back to a place that was part of our lives and seeing the changes. However visiting a building that's about ready to be torn down means you can never go back. The emotional waves surface with each step. To me, it was like visiting an old friend before they die. Memories stay with us, but the things that were part of our history change and/or fade away. I'm sure you and your spouse know that feeling, too.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I did. While the tree lined street my old house was on is still the same, the old neighborhood had changed so much I got lost. I went to my favorite fast food, Arctic Circle. Still the same saddles for seats, and orange and brown decor. My schools are the exact same, my old park the same but has now become the local gang's hangout. I felt very nervous there, I guess I've been in the wilds of TN too long. And this is where I will stay.

momz

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Very neat stories.

I can go back to the days of junior high or before in a twinkle of a moment it seems. Seems impossible that the late 60's were 40 years ago.

I was a teenager and recall vividly the events of those years. I remember Mario Andretti winning the Indy 500, Neil Armstrong walking on the moon, and the day that Bobby was shot in SF, Martin in Memphis. I remember Walter Cronkite reporting the death tallies in Vietnam. I recall the homes we lived in, can still smell the carpets, can feel the touch of our old dog 'Rags'. I remember sleeping over at my grandparents home [still there - still looks the same with a little more wear nowadays], in the upstairs loft bedroom. This was the bedroom in which my grandparents raised 8 children. Many of them were living at home at the same time, in that single bedroom upstairs. I remember grandma's dog, named 'Jigs' - somehow that name seems to smack of some sort of prejudice in my mind nowadays - but at the time he was just a lovable pug-nosed Boston Terrier who loved grandma to cook him an egg each morning.

Wow - a can of memory-worms has been opened.

I can still remember the sunshine in Patterson California in 1965. We lived there, pinched into a little town by the apricot groves that surrounded it. I thought it was huge, until my wife and I visited it once back 10 years ago and discovered that a well planned golf course occupies nearly as big a plot. My brother and I spent our summer on our bikes, and playing baseball, and watching my dad shoot his bow and arrows, and learning about cultural diversity in a largely Hispanic area at the time.

Now I will be thinking of this all day. Sweet recollections of time - good and wonderful.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit