Have You Ever Gone Back In Time?

by freydi 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Mincan
    Mincan

When I was a child I lived in Virginia out in the boonies. We had about 100 acres of woods, waterfalls over a creek, a koi pond and rope bridges over ravines. I was afraid of the snakes but I loved the frogs and lizards that I would catch. I was always outside in my world of fairies, a lot of that time as close to the top of a tree as I could get. I would play in the gazebo for hours on end. To me this was paradise.

A few years ago, after dreaming about it for years I went back to my childhood home. It was difficult to find because of all of the new housing additions in the area. But there in the middle of it all was my home with the little guest cottage behind it. When I realized I had finally found it I burst into tears I was so overcome.

The owner allowed us to walk around the place a bit, she was very hospitable. I took pictures of my granddaughter in the broken down gazebo by the creek and beside the dried up koi pond. It was sad to see what time had done to the place but it refreshed my soul to walk on the same soil that meant so much to me as a child.

It was a good day.

That was beautiful, it is always beautiful reading about your youth.

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

Yeah, one time, flying back from Asia, we left Japan at 4pm on Sunday.

We arrived in San Francisco at noon the same Sunday.

We went back in time!

:)

• Warlock
    Warlock

Yeah, one time, flying back from Asia, we left Japan at 4pm on Sunday.

We arrived in San Francisco at noon the same Sunday.

We went back in time!

:)

LOL! Warlock

• parakeet
    parakeet

I sometimes think of how my family used to be before my parents became JWs (I was 12). Christmas, birthdays, friendly neighbors, school friends, all of which vanished after the WTS began ruling our lives. The only friends I had after that were some really messed up kids at the KH.

I don't go down memory lane often. It's too easy to wallow in self-pity about what was done to me. Much better to think about the present -- great husband, wonderful son and daughter-in-law, and a grandchild on his way. Yep, the present is definitely better.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Oh yeah, I've had these moments.

Some of my fondest childhood memories are of my dad taking me to the house that he grew up in. It was abandoned at the time, almost falling down, but I felt very clost to him as I imagined what it was like for him and my aunts and uncles. It was a tiny place too and they had five kids. I also remember when he took me to the country store (then out of business) where his grandfather would take him for a five cent soda and a candy bar.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I do this all the time. I still live in the same area that I grew up in. I'm always remembering old times I had when young. I went by the old KH my dad built back in the early fifties, the first one in our area. I was married there the first time. It is a church of some kind now. As I drive through the rural arears I remember a lot of homes my family had bible studies in. I see all the old homes my family lived in and it makes me sad. I seem to be more concerned about the past than the future. I've had a great life, even as a JW and don't want to see it end.

Ken P.

• Mulan
    Mulan

great stories everyone.................I've done many of the same things.

My grandparents and great grandparents had houses next door to each other, homesteaded property from 1910. After my great grandparents died, the house was sold, but the new owners had kids and we used to go there all the time. The house still exists and is amazing now. They have done some great renovations and it is beautiful. My grandparent's house is still there too and also beautifully upgraded but it still has that century old look. Makes me sad though that no one in the family owns them anymore.

I do a lot of genealogy research, and a couple of years ago, I had an extremely vivid dream that I was the child of one of my ancestors in Maine, in the 1700's. Everyone was wearing blue or black. (they were Quakers) I was very little and in a small bed, freezing cold. I tried so hard to see their faces but couldn't. I had the dream in summertime and was not cold. The dream was very real though.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, freydi, a couple days ago. Met up with school friends from elementary school (circa 1955) who live by me! We've already made plans to spend more time together. We talked how our 4th grade teacher influenced us - for me, toward my present career.

Re: grandparents, their home and how they figured in my life - ditto to most of the above. They and their home were my safe haven. Miss them terribly.

CoCo

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Every time I go back to Kentucky it is a trip down memory lane, so many memories from my childhood, and also my marriage.

The only thing that seems a blur to me is late 1993/early 1994. I can't seem to pinpoint the time when I finally left the JW's, I only remember it being in that time period. strange?

• JAVA
    JAVA

The high school I graduated from will be torn down, and I walked the hallways and visited classrooms from the past. I graduated 43-years ago--talk about going back in time!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit