Have You Ever Gone Back In Time?

by freydi 26 Replies latest jw friends

• freydi
    freydi

Last week I revisited a place in my youth that was important. It no longer exists. Not even an address. Only a vacant lot where my grandmother used to live in a two story tenement that was old 50 years ago. No hot water, and in a bad part of town that's gotten worse with time. She was hooked on American Motors Ramblers because my father had a job selling them soon after college. She's been dead for 30 years but was quite a woman. Worked in a factory. Played bingo with a religious fevor. Had three husbands. All alcoholics, I think. The last was my grandpa. I have nothing but good memories of them. I wonder what it would be like to meet them today. Anybody else with memories like this?

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

When I was a child I lived in Virginia out in the boonies. We had about 100 acres of woods, waterfalls over a creek, a koi pond and rope bridges over ravines. I was afraid of the snakes but I loved the frogs and lizards that I would catch. I was always outside in my world of fairies, a lot of that time as close to the top of a tree as I could get. I would play in the gazebo for hours on end. To me this was paradise.

A few years ago, after dreaming about it for years I went back to my childhood home. It was difficult to find because of all of the new housing additions in the area. But there in the middle of it all was my home with the little guest cottage behind it. When I realized I had finally found it I burst into tears I was so overcome.

The owner allowed us to walk around the place a bit, she was very hospitable. I took pictures of my granddaughter in the broken down gazebo by the creek and beside the dried up koi pond. It was sad to see what time had done to the place but it refreshed my soul to walk on the same soil that meant so much to me as a child.

It was a good day.

• Satanus
    Satanus

A yr ago, i went back to the farm in sask that i grew up on, for my first decade or so. I walked across the prairie, from one end of it to the other. Saw the old buildings again. The same trees, the same slough. I paid my respects to the milleniums old grass that fed our cows, the bison, and possibly the dinosaurs. Took pictures. I selected a rock to take w me, as a symbol and something concrete, to remember it by.

To the past, gone, but not forgotten. W an ache an a tear.

S

• isnrblog
    isnrblog

My Grandmother was a saint. My Grandfather was the most paient, loving Grandfather anyone could have.

Both Witnesses. Grandpa was outspoken and would not think twice about taking on any pompous elder who said something out of line. He ws never a servant and both he and Gma could talk the Bible better than any of oue so-called spiritual leaders.

They both die in the mid 80's. I live in Flrodia and they lived in New England. I do have sevral momentos from them that will on occasion back memories.

It's a nice feeling.

Fred www.isnrblog.com

• Mary
    Mary

My sister and I drove my our maternal grandparents' home a couple of weeks ago. Just on the spur of the moment. We loved going down there when we were kids-----met all kinds of other kids on the street that we could play with. I remember playing dodge-ball on the street with about 5 or 6 others at midnight one night. The one family about 8 doors down had a wonderful huge fron porch with cemet seats on either side of the front stairs. We'd sit out there for hours and just talk, or go to the store for ice-cream, or to go get my grandpa a pack of cigaretts (Peter Jackson king size). Various people on the street would pop by and we made alot of friends there.

Sadly, one of the girls we really got to know ended up dying not that long ago of some strange disease and we went to the funeral, even though we hadn't seen these people for 30 years. Bitter-sweet memories.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Ocasionally I will drive by the house that I grew up in 50 years ago. I noticed recently it was listed at 599,000.00. My parents sold that very house in 1975 for 67 grand. Unbelievable. There were some upgrades done, but that much?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

When I moved back to Massachusetts after living in Florida for about 20 years, I visited a lot of places from my past. I went to my first elementary school when they were renovating it. They let me walk through... lots of memories. I drove past the places I used to live...and most of the places that were important to me growing up. I've also done some research on my grandparents, and useing their marriage records, discovered the places they lived before they were married, when they first came to the U.S from Sweden in the early 20th century. I've driven by those houses... I plan on doing the same with the records of my maternal grandparents as well. It gives you a perspective...an idea of how the pieces of the puzzle work together....

I'm also dating someone I used to date as a jw....who is also an xjw.... we've been together for about 7 years now.... another memory revisited...that is now in my present. I've reconnected with people I went to elementary school with...and high school... and made friends with them....that I couldn't have done when I knew them growing up, because of the watchtower....

Coffee

• shell69
    shell69

Only when I dream do I go back in time.

I do things differently.

Shell

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Lots of back in time memories. The older I get the more I have.

I recently went down south where I raised my family and stayed in a Motel for several days right in the downtown section. It was weird for me almost haunting and very emotional. I get emotional as I type this thinking about it. So many memories and it's true mostly all the good ones come back to mind I didn't remember any of the bad ones.......I did get a sick feeling when I drove by the KH.

I had a neat experience going back to my Grandparents house years after I had left the city they still lived in and I had long ago moved from I took my kids for a visit. It was fun to watch them play in my Grandparents yard just like I did when I was their age. My boys were climbing the old walnut tree out back and my younger son had uncovered the little "boat" fountain which is under the tree covered in leaves and debris from the tree for probably several years! He automatically became Cap't Hook....hey I used to play pirates on that boat too! Then came the familiar shrill of Granny's voice yelling at the boys to get down from that tree before they fall and get hurt! I remembered that too!! What I didn't count on was her then scolding me for letting them kids run wild! My Mom could probably relate to that one.

• Warlock
    Warlock

I did some work in the city where I grew up. I had not been there in about 30 years.

Most of the city has changed.

It was kind of weird.

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit