Ok I am Freaking Out Right Now!

by dkeithia 11 Replies latest jw friends

• dkeithia
    dkeithia

Ok so in a previous post I told all of you a little bit about my inlaws and what they put my husband and I through. I asked all of you if you thought it was ok to keep them cut off and out of our lives, if it was the right thing to do. Many of you posted and stated that you thought my husband and I were doing the right thing and I thank you all for making me feel better in my decision.

So here it is now several weeks later and we get this phone call from my step-dad. Not only is it weird that he is calling us (usually it my mom) but he wants to talk to my husband. So I hand the phone to my husband and he gets really quiet and an upset look forms on his face as he listens to my step-dad talk to him. Then he writes down a phone number and says good bye to my step-dad and then hangs up the phone. He turns to me and tells me that his dad called my parents asking to speak to him. My step-dad aware of our not speaking to my husbands family wisely tells my FIL that he will give my husband his phone number and my husband will call him back if he so chooses. My husband then tells me that FIL said it was urgent. So here we are thinking that someone has died or is dieing or something horrible as my husband calls his father back. Turns out it really wasnt that urgent. Apparently my husbands grandparents are in town for three days from Germany as a stop over before heading on to Hawaii and they want to see us. The first thing that I think of is that email that my husbands aunt sent us after her visit almost two years ago saying that no one there of the family wanted anything to do with us till we apologized to MIL. My husband tells this to my FIL and then tells him that we will only see the Grandparents if MIL is not there (since she is the one thats the worse of the two). FIL states that we could meet while she is in church (he doesnt attend, not sure if he ever joined or he faded) tomorrow afternoon. My husband says he will think about it and hangs up.

So we know this is trap, we know something bad mojo wise is going to happen, and yet after talking it over we feel that we need to give the Grandparents a chance. I know meeting with them (yes in a public place where we can just walk away and leave if need be) is the right thing to do but I am freaking out! Every time I have come into contact with any of my husbands family they have done and said things to hurt us and try and destroy us (like his mother one time tried to get us thrown out of our apartment.) Yes I know most of it is from MIL but they all listen to her.

All I want is to live my life with the family that I have made in peace.

LH

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

dkeithia,

When I first read this, this scripture popped into my head. "You will know the truth and the truth will set you free." Not sure why, doesn't seem to fit the situation, but maybe it does.

I have found out that in my relationships, if I just speak what I feel (in love) that I have greater peace in my heart. So often we try to hide who we are because of trying to please people or fear what they will say or think about us.

The scripture also comes to mind that God will give us what to say at the time we are questioned. It is in Acts I believe. If I were you I would pray for Holy Spirit to guide my tongue and step into the "lion's den". Just leave it in God's hands, He knows how to save His people. You never know this may be an entirely different situation, however you know your family.

I will be praying for you.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• dkeithia
    dkeithia

Thank you Velta. I have heard that god works in mysterious ways and the longer I am alive the more I believe that. The first phrase you said to me about truth, well you have no idea how much that helps. Thanks

LH

• mouthy
    mouthy

Personally I would meet them. If you both agree ( YOU & HUBBY) that your united in your mission,After all the Grand Parents from so far away would love to see you I am sure , take a little gift & a smile & give em a hug My 2 cents

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I agree with both. Let any comments roll off your back like water off a duck. Smile at each other content that you are secure in knowing you are doing the right thing. Let them be the unchristian people. Always show love so no one can have valid reason to talk bad about you. When you look back on all this that fact will be a comfort.

momz

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))

What GG (Grace) said.

I would also be prepared for a hasty exit if necessary. You do not have to put up with abuse no matter the source.

• Bryan
    Bryan

You know, they can't hurt you. When you feel upset, feeling someone has hurt you, you hurt only because you choose to let them hurt you. Don't give them your power.

Feel sorry for them. They are lost.

Best,

Bryan

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I think you are getting good advice here - go see the grandparents, but be prepared to leave. Nicely tell them why you're leaving, too. "You know, we wanted to see the grandparents, but not enough to put up with this kind of disrespect." something like that.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I really hate family (or any for that matter) confrontations. Just a few days ago I quit on a strata council because of personal attacks. I hate having to deal with negative crap esoecially if it's to do with stupid mind numbing nonsense like this.

I did not see here if there are young children involved. Their protection is first and foremost. Keep all young people from harms way.

If you have decided to meet, then a neutral place is required. I would suggest your own home if possible. If not, a warm environment like a restaurant would be advisable. People tend to behave better in a place with strangers around.

When meeting certain people that can create a potential problem, I would always remember a simple exit strategy. If the heat gets to be a problem, simply bow out quickly and quietly . If there are people that are pleasant and wish further contact, simply reinvite quietly elsewhere.

Under no circumstances would it be a good idea to meet at a Hall, or for that matter, any church at all. A peaceful sanctuary must remain that way.

Do you best to remain civil, but control the conversation. Never allow it to get out of control, and exit as soon as you are comfortable. Good luck.

• shell69
    shell69

agreeing with WorldTraveler.

Any children that may be there... protect them please from biggoted religious people who have only thier religious opinions to force onto others,

Children need to be protected foremost.

If these relatives dont have kindess in thier hearts, best wishes and hoping for peace in your family... then dont let them in!

IMHO. Shell

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit