I just stumped our PO!!!

by The Last Nephilim 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

I have never seen this guy stumped on a bible topic or point before, but history was made today!!! He and a soon-to-be elder were doing a shepherding call on my wife and I because we've missed weeks worth of meetings and had no service time for Dec. He went through the usual lectures about how we're cutting off Jehovah by missing meetings (because we all know God won't lift a finger for those who don't go to meetings, right?) He gave some good illustrations- the guy really is a good teacher, it's just WHAT he's teaching that's questionable. I swear I think he could convince someone that a turd would be healthy to eat!
    Anyway, he saw the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures on my desk and inquired as to what I was doing with it. I told him I was looking up something that a potential study had pointed me to in this very publication. He asked what, so I told him that this person had argued that even this book, published by the WTS, admitted the deity of Christ because in John 20:28 (in the Greek)- "Answered Thomas and he said to him The Lord of me and the God of me".
    Well, when I quoted it he didn't believe me that it said "THE God of me", so I showed him and his response was, "...huh... that's interesting!" He asked me what I'd found in my research (to refute that, obviously) and I told him I hadn't gotten into it yet so he wanted me to let him know what I find, and then immediately suggested a keyword search for "Trinity" in the WT Library CDROM. I told him I had Strong's Dictionary of Greek & Hebrew words I intended to use for my research. I wonder if the Sept 07 KM Question Box popped into his mind at that moment!? At any rate, all he could say at that point was how it was good to do research on those kinds of things because it not only helps the ones we're witnessing to, but it helps us build our own faith. I was thinking, "Indeed it does..."

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

That was excellent ! Good work, who knows what might become of that encounter?

And . . . WELCOME

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Anyway, he saw the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures on my desk and inquired as to what I was doing with it.

His Aposta Radar went ballistic when he saw the KIL in your possession because he knows that it is the first step to 'apostasy' for a JW.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Good work grasshopper.

Hand Clapping

momz

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    I wonder if the Sept 07 KM Question Box popped into his mind at that moment!?

I surely hope not!

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

His Aposta Radar went ballistic when he saw the KIL in your possession because he knows that it is the first step to 'apostasy' for a JW.

That's news to me! I never really thought about it that way but I guess it makes a bit of sense. Is this something that many have experienced or is this just Honesty's experience?

BTW, how do I quote someone else's post? I can't figure out how...

• Honesty
    Honesty

That's news to me! I never really thought about it that way but I guess it makes a bit of sense. Is this something that many have experienced or is this just Honesty's experience?

BTW, how do I quote someone else's post? I can't figure out how... See that little white ghost lookin' thang beside the yellow smiley face? Just highlight what you want quote and then CLICK on the little white ghost lookin' thang beside the yellow smiley face.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    "Indeed it does..."

Hmmm, you seem to have the dance down pat that you need to do around these brainwashed folks.

well done

How can I get one of those books. Does the society still print them?

• knock knock
    knock knock

I've seen that argument before. I don't remember the refutation the society used for it but have no fear, there is "reasoning" on it and if this guy digs a little he will find it and that will allow him to brush this aside also.

• Invetigator74
    Invetigator74

The Borg's version of this Scripture is as follows:Does Thomas’ exclamation at John 20:28 prove that Jesus is truly God? John 20:28 (RS) reads: “Thomas answered him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” There is no objection to referring to Jesus as “God,” if this is what Thomas had in mind. Such would be in harmony with Jesus’ own quotation from the Psalms in which powerful men, judges, were addressed as “gods.” (John 10:34, 35, RS; Ps. 82:1-6) Of course, Christ occupies a position far higher than such men. Because of the uniqueness of his position in relation to Jehovah, at John 1:18 (NW) Jesus is referred to as “the only-begotten god.” (See also Ro, By.) Isaiah 9:6 (RS) also prophetically describes Jesus as “Mighty God,” but not as the Almighty God. All of this is in harmony with Jesus’ being described as “a god,” or “divine,” at John 1:1 (NW, AT). The context helps us to draw the right conclusion from this. Shortly before Jesus’ death, Thomas had heard Jesus’ prayer in which he addressed his Father as “the only true God.” (John 17:3, RS) After Jesus’ resurrection Jesus had sent a message to his apostles, including Thomas, in which he had said: “I am ascending . . . to my God and your God.” (John 20:17, RS) After recording what Thomas said when he actually saw and touched the resurrected Christ, the apostle John stated: “These are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in his name.” (John 20:31, RS) So, if anyone has concluded from Thomas’ exclamation that Jesus is himself “the only true God” or that Jesus is a Trinitarian “God the Son,” he needs to look again at what Jesus himself said (vs. 17) and at the conclusion that is clearly stated by the apostle John (vs. 31). I'm pretty sure the PO check his "Reasoning" book right after your conversation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit