I just stumped our PO!!!

by The Last Nephilim 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth
    His Aposta Radar went ballistic when he saw the KIL in your possession because he knows that it is the first step to 'apostasy' for a JW.

That's news to me! I never really thought about it that way but I guess it makes a bit of sense. Is this something that many have experienced or is this just Honesty's experience?

Yes, that was exactly my experience (not that the elders saw my KIL and thought "apostate") but that I read the KIL and checked out the Greek and found out that the WT had not told the truth about their "one
    English word for each Greek word, in their forward. I think that the WT is beginning to regret ever publishing this book. I have 4 WT books still in my possession. The old KIL (purple) and the new one, the Aid to Bible Understanding and a combined NWT and Make Sure bound into one. When I am discussing the Bible with JWs I use their Bible and show them from the Kingdom Interlinear where the WT has changed it.

If you find one of these old KILs at a used book store or elsewhere, grab it. It is an invaluable tool.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• JosephMalik
    JosephMalik

The Lord of me and the God of me".

The Last Nehpilim,

This is because the WT does not understand it either. They double talk their way around such use. The text did not say the YHWH of me or the only true God of me and thus provide something closer to absolute identity. This word God is not identity. They do not understand the word Truth either. They cry out "we have the truth" but hardly anything that they say and teach is truth. A PO and this PO in particular is not smart, just clever. He has no authority over you, nor has Christ authorized him to be such.

Joseph

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have had a Kingdom Interlinear for years and I am not apostate

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

jesus said he is not god

its not rocket salad

and neither is stumping a p.o.

• TD
    TD

???

I guess I'm missing the significance of pointing this out in the KIT instead of the NWT itself

The sublinear text in any NT translation is as close an approximation of the Greek as is possible, but this often results in awkard and bad English.

O kurioV mou kai o qeoV mou

The lord [of] me and the God [of] me

Since we show possession in English with the pronoun, "My" rather than a genitive declension of "Me", the English here sounds a little like Yoda speaking. There's no special significance to that.

In this instance, modern Greek is identical with ancient Greek. (The modern Greek NWT contains the same text and Greek speaking JW's don't think anything of it.)

"My Lord and my God" is a perfectly acceptable translation, one that can be found in almost any English NT including the NWT.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I have heard jws explain this away by saying that he was just expressing surprise or awe... like we would say Oh my lord...or Oh my God! not that he was addressing God...

Yeah... they used the same expressions that we do now.....r.i.g.h.t.....

Coffee

• Warlock
    Warlock

I just pulled the purple interlinear out of my bookcase, because one of my arguements against the trinity was always Rev. 3:12 where Jesus uses the phrase "my God" and the interlinear says "the name of the God of me".

Anyone have any insight on that scripture that I might be missing?

Warlock

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

Honesty- I don't have a clue what you're talking about! I don't see a ghost looking thing or a smiley face! Sorry!

moomanchu- Yes, you have to order it from the literature counter. It's not something they keep "in stock".

I-74- Thanks for the direction! I'll use that response to blow the PO off when he asks about it again.

Velta- Thanks, I'll be keeping my eyes open for a purple one as well as those other publications. I'm also looking for an old copy of the Diaglott, no longer in print.

JMalik- Thanks.

tijkmo- Stumping THIS PO is difficult. I wish you could meet him... sort of...

TD- The point about the original Greek text saying THE God of me was that JWs commonly use the reasoning that although called "a god" or "godlike" or "Mighty God", Jesus is never referred to as "Almighty God" or "THE God". In this instance it seems to prove otherwise. The text does not say that Thomas simply said the words, it states that he said the words TO Jesus.

Is it because I use Mozilla Firefox that I don't see a way to quote other people's posts?

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    Honesty- I don't have a clue what you're talking about! I don't see a ghost looking thing or a smiley face! Sorry!

when you open the reply box there are a number of tools at the head of the box...

along from cut copy paste etc the last one on the top line is the quotes

highlight what you want to quote and then click this

• The Last Nephilim
    The Last Nephilim

Like this?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit