Dumping out my purse

by sweetface2233 50 Replies latest social relationships

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Ladies, how many of you have had this happen? Your cell phone is stashed in your purse and it starts ringing. You plunge your hand in, hoping to grab it and begin the call. However, there is so much, what's the word, sh*t inside of your bag that you almost miss the call because everything is laying on top of the one thing you need. I just had that very thing happen and ended up dumping my purse onto the floor inside of my cubicle so that I wouldn't miss the call. Here is what came flying out:

Insurance papers, an appointment card, check stub, Dr. co-pay receipt, wallet, CD - "How to Handle Criticism", a pack of gum, sunglasses, a bottle of Advil (actually Wal-Profen), 2 grocery store receipts, keys, a brush, a bottle of clear nail polish, a tube of lipstick, a tube of carmex lip balm, a lighter, a movie stub - "Juno", another movie stub - "Sweeney Todd", eye glasses, a contact lens case, a Wal-Mart receipt, 2 grocery store coupons (both expired), "Letting Go of God" by Julia Sweeney - Discs 1 & 2, a juicy tubes lip gloss, several pieces of chewed gum wrapped in paper, 2 bank deposit receipts, ear buds from my iPod, a can of tuna, and finally my cell phone.

After my call was completed, I was staring at all of the junk in the floor. Goodness, why do I carry all of that crap? Then I started thinking about my life. Why do I hold onto thoughts and memories, some good, some bad, from long ago that are having a bad affect on my current life and relationships? Why do I hold onto these things? How do I not let what has happened w/ many, many friendship/relationships in my past affect the ones I may have in the future? If I was treated poorly and abandoned in my past, how can I move forward not feeling that I'll be treated poorly and abandoned in my future?

I don't think I'm really looking for an answer here, but writing this did help me put some things into perspective. Just let them go. Throw them in the garbage where they belong and don't fish for them afterward.

BTW ladies, feel free to post the useless items in your purse. I am sure that the guys here would get a kick out of it. Hello!!! A can of tuna????

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    "Letting Go of God" by Julia Sweeney - Discs 1 & 2

Ummm, if you're cleaning up, I could PM you my mailing address....

• poppers
    poppers
    Then I started thinking about my life. Why do I hold onto thoughts and memories, some good, some bad, from long ago that are having a bad affect on my current life and relationships?,

Yes, indeed. And isn't that what most people do, hold on to their past?

Why do I hold onto these things?

People gain much of their identity from the past, and keep that identity in place by replaying that past in their mind. Find out what you are when those memories are no longer being replayed. What are you when the identity that you hold in your mind is no longer being fed?

How do I not let what has happened w/ many, many friendship/relationships in my past affect the ones I may have in the future? If I was treated poorly and abandoned in my past, how can I move forward feeling that I'll be treated poorly and abandoned in my future?

Stay focused on the present moment, for that is where life is actually lived. To live in the past or project into the future is to miss the fullness of the only time there is: right now. Return again and again to the here and now and you'll discover a peace that isn't dependent on anything. The past is dead and gone, so why lug it around like a sack of rocks. The future is only in the imagination so why put so much energy in getting there. Here, now - that's real. This is your wake up call to live life free of the past and free of the future and simply be here now.

I don't think I'm really looking for an answer here, but writing this did help me put some things into perspective. Just let it go. Throw it in the garbage where it belongs and don't fish for it afterward.

That's right - you know what to do, now do it and discover real freedom.

• hemp lover
    hemp lover

You have good taste in movies ;-)

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Wallet, walgreens store receipt, walmart store receipt, Dr. copay reciept, 7 ink pens , brand new medication, tweezers, lip balm, packet of instant oatmeal, granola bar, tea bag(s), inhaler, insurance bill, phone bill, bank receipt, to-do list, check I forgot to deposit , makeup bag, cork screw ....OMG I need to clean this damn thing out! Who the hell needs 7 ink pens and a cork screw?

Now where the hell is my cell phone

nj

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Reminds me of being at the bar, and this one woman I know went to pull something out of her purse, but along with the item came a maxi pad stuck to it. I almost friggin' died laughing!

• Abandoned
    Abandoned
    Reminds me of being at the bar, and this one woman I know went to pull something out of her purse, but along with the item came a maxi pad stuck to it. I almost friggin' died laughing!

Why is that funny?

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

LOL @ sweetface. HOW big is your purse!?

I am a packrat. My boyfriend calls me a bag lady. I try to limit the things I carry with me everyday but then I usually wish I had something with me that I didn't.

Currently in my shoulder bag: the standards (lip gloss, eye drops, hand lotion, wallet, compact mirror, gum, nail file, Advil, mascara, powder, concealer, bobbie pins, tweezers), the current book I'm reading, a scarf, a small bag of honey roasted peanuts, an umbrella, sunglasses, mittens, various bills to be paid, my datebook, my cell phone, business cards, my checkbook, a couple of pens, some fortunes from Chinese restaurants ("You belive in the goodness of mankind." "Work with the public and let some of your hidden qualities shine." "You will soon be crossing great waters on a fun vacation." "You have a friendly heart and are well admired."). I usually have extra jewelry in there that I took off after leaving the house because a) I decided it didn't go with my outfit, b) it was bothering my ears or my finger or my wrist while trying to write or whatever, and/or c) I grabbed a bunch of jewelry to pick out what to wear because I was running late. So today for instance I ran out of the house running late and then once I got to work decided I would like my ensemble better if I had cute silver dangly earrings to top it all off and voila, I looked in my bag and found just what I needed from the other day when they didn't quite go with what I had on. Ain't it grand to be a woman!?

I like your analogy relating to the things we hold onto in our minds and hearts. You are right that we need to purge every so often, our purses, and our souls. It's only healthy.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

poppers: couldn't have said it better.

• bite me
    bite me

I use a shoulder bag too, then it doesn't look silly when you have a lot of crap in it.

Let see on any given day I can have anything in my bag. Today, lets see....

Crackers (lol do you want that for your tuna?)
    travel toothbrush and toothpaste
    Lip Gloss
    hair brush
    Loose Change (for those just in case days. LOL)
    Wallet/check book/
    a receipt from Vons
    My bible (I think I should carry my personal size one again, my study bible is getting too heavy.)
    Bible concordance (travel size)
    Daily devotional book
    Calendar
    Phone (never on the bottom, but on the side pocket)
    Hand lotion
    Ice Breakers
    Gum
    School receipt (dang books are expensive)

I think I'll ask my guy to carry my stuff in his pockets along with his. He never has a bag of any kind, his pockets are so deep you can fit a person in it. lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit