Do you still have faith in humanity?

by lfcviking 17 Replies latest jw friends

• lfcviking
    lfcviking

Just yesterday at the airport i dropped my wallet coming out of a shop and a very kind man picked it up and ran up to me and asked "excuse me is this yours?" to which i gave a startled but relieved reply of "yes, thankyou very much!".

I was amazed by his honesty & kindness for doing this deed and wondered for a moment what would have happened if he'd have put it in his pocket instead. In that wallet was about 170 pounds sterling in cash, a debit card, a credit card and a driving licence. If that would have fallen into the wrong hands i would have been totally and utterly f***ed for to say the least.

This one random act of kindness by this man that saved me from having a most unpleasant & distressing situation when he could have potentially gained so much for himself simply proves there is still people around that practice fine virtues despite what some people believe about growing trends of greed and dishonesty.

Often i can think and feel negatively about my fellow humans for various reasons but when i experienced this it gave me a fresh & restored feeling of faith in my 6 billion brothers & sisters all over the world. All too often we can focus on people's vices and failings as human beings and often overlook the good that's inside them. I think many of us are in the habit of doing this (including myself) and struggle to break from it, but when you experience an incident like this it really can give you a moving & touching feeling that can make you truly appreciate and give you faith in humanity.

Any comments?......

LFCv

• snowbird
    snowbird

I still have faith in humanity because I have faith in Deity.

I concur with John who wrote that the Light is shining through the darkness.

Thank you for broaching the subject.

Sylvia

• changeling
    changeling

"Still"????

I have new found faith in humanity. Being a lifelong witness makes you distrust humanity.

Leaving the org and turning becoming an atheist has given my insight and clarity I never had before.

Humanity in general is not evil. Humanity in general is not going from bad to worse (on the contrary).

We all need to have faith in ourselves and humanity and be a force for change to the good. It can be done.

changeling

• *summer*
    *summer*

There are lots of good, generous, honest, compassionate people in this world.

It is most obvious when a major disaster happens. People from all over the world rally to help those in need.

Unfortunately, on a daily basis, it is the bad ones who get the spotlight and make the news.

Yes, I have faith in humanity. In the end, good always prevails even if it does not always seem that way.

• Dagney
    Dagney

"Still"????

I have new found faith in humanity. Being a lifelong witness makes you distrust humanity.

My feelings exactly. Maybe because I have a different attitude toward people now, I don't know, but I find kindness and generosity everday.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"Still"????

Leaving the org and turning becoming an atheist has given my insight and clarity I never had before.

Humanity in general is not evil. Humanity in general is not going from bad to worse (on the contrary).

We all need to have faith in ourselves and humanity and be a force for change to the good. It can be done.

changeling

I have to agree with Changeling. JW's were taught that people are evil or just after sex and drugs
    and rock-n-roll if they are not in the WTS. As a human being without the thoughts of WTS, I am
    able to give credit to humans for goodness instead of to God. People clean up pollution and
    scrub oil spills off of seabirds. People give a helping hand to a stranded pregnant woman with
    a flat tire, or people give a seat to an elderly person on the bus.

Sure, the wallet could have landed in the wrong hands. I hate that the average beggar in my
    part of the world is scamming me or wants money for booze. I would love to help strangers that
    really need it, but am forced to only help those that I know. I am forced to guard my wallet and
    lock my car doors, and even hide any loose change so that nobody will smash the window to
    get it. Still, it's no reason to give up on humanity.

Nice thread.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Actually, getting away from the JW's helped restore my faith in humanity. I learned how helpful and decent the average person really is, and that most people are not totally selfish or cunning, but rather are usually helpful and just trying to get on with life.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

The witnesses are all about gloom and doom. I asked yesterday about why it is necessary to keep the fear in the followers. He said it's not fear like as in the dictionary. I asked to give me a more apropriate word. All I got was a blank stare (meaning you're caught with more poop in the pants).

It's soooo much better to be an optomist. After all, why act like a bunch of helpless sheep waiting for the slaughter?

• beksbks
    beksbks

I agree wholeheartedly with Changeling and OTWO. I believe most people are decent and good hearted. And as Dagney said, I find kindness and generosity in my life every day.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

I had a similar experience the other day - having just got back from the US with gorgeous new handbag (early Xmas pressie from Besty), we were out in London and I put it down next to some railings while I sorted the children's paraphernalia out, promptly forgot all about it and went into our friend's flat a few doors away. When we eventually came back out I remembered and had that heart stopping moment where you know you've lost your bag, purse, phone, etc and you feel sick. Besty tried calling my phone to see if it was anywhere near and someone called us back on it to say "they had everything, had been trying to get hold of us via some numbers on the phone, had spoken to my dad who had been trying to get hold of us and were sorry that they'd read my text messages!" Needless to say we got their address and drove to another part of London to pick it up.

I was amazed and ecstatic that my faith had been totally restored in humanity (and I'd got my all my stuff back obviously).

We live in a wonderful world where sadly good news doesn't make the headlines, but we can all choose what we focus on and there is so much good stuff to focus on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit