John 19:14, a devastating contradiction?

by DT 28 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DT
    DT

Matthew, Mark and Luke claim that Jesus died on passover (Nisan 14) John, however, claims that Jesus died on the day of preparation for passover (Nisan 13) "Now it was preparation of the passover" -John 19:14 NWT (It helps to read the context, several verses before and after.) John also doesn't mention the Lord's evening meal with his his apostles on passover. It would have been impossible, because he was already dead, according to John.

The Bible contains many contradictions that can possibly be reconciled if you have enough imagination, but this contradiction seems pretty blatant. I don't know how a JW could overcome it. It seems to shatter a fundamental aspect of JW theology and is pretty damaging to other religions as well. The JW's only have one holiday every year and one gospel account indicates that it has no justification.

What are your thoughts on this?

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

OK, let me get this straight. The story about the old woman in the shoe contradicts the one about Mary, Mary, quite contrary? Is the one about Jack, Jill, and the bucket still intact?

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I never picked this up before. Has anyone seen any rationalization from the GB on this?

Isaac

• steve2
    steve2

How would a JW respond to this valid question? Ah, yes, how could I forget:

"What are your motives for asking this question? Are your searching for an excuse to stop following God's chosen people?" These are the most effective answers I know to your question, but they're probably not the most accurate and honest ones! I await with interest others attempts to explain these seeming contradictions.

• A-Team
    A-Team

According to Jewish Days, he would have died on Nisan 13 at Noon, 6 hours before the passover was to begin (Nisan 14th.) Remember, A Jewish day is from Sundown to sundown (Roughly 6PM-6PM). The JWs count a day from Midnight to Midnight.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Yes, every year I think about this date and time, and every year I come up with the same conclusion! That Jesus Last Supper is not a modern day Memorial like the JW express it meanings! For one thing, Jesus did this so that his followers would observe his Last Supper and remember him and his sacrifice prior to his death! So why call it a memorial because J.W. think like this; rememberance=memory=Memorial of Christ death! Not to mention the calendar changes as well as hours!

• Gordy
    Gordy

Isn't it amazing when someone finds a "contradiction" that they seem to think no one has ever come across before.

• Sarah Smiles
    Sarah Smiles

Yes! we have all been there!

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I have been reading a bit on this subject lately. I too am a bit confounded by this: But whatever the answer to THAT is, it made me think of something else: The symbolism of the last supper, the passover meal. This meal was eaten/celebrated AFTER the lamb is sacrificed. Kind of fitting in with the seeming dichotomy presented by the OP, doesn't it seem strange to anyone but me that Jesus celebrates the passover meal with his disciples-when HE was the passover sacrifice? He is the 'passover lamb' but he is eating the meal with his disciples? Shouldn't the passover meal happen AFTER his death? Just some thoughts:)

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    Isn't it amazing when someone finds a "contradiction" that they seem to think no one has ever come across before.

I don't think DT claimed to be the first to think of this, this is just the first HE thought of it and wanted to share.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit