Did you read the whole Bible when you were a JW?

by outofthebox 40 Replies latest jw friends

• outofthebox
    outofthebox

After an informal poll in my congregation (and many awkward responses) I found out that almost nobody had read the whole Bible ever, not even the elders (surprise!). Brothers and sisters with 20, 30, 40 and 50 years as JWs don't know what the Bible says. So, if God decides that a test is coming, will they pass it? will you?

And you? Did you read the whole Bible when you were a JW? If so, what happened after you did? Did it open your eyes?

-ootb

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

No, and I hated it when I had a question and my dad pulled it out. I just wanted his input.

momz

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Unfortunately my Mom forced me too.

• kifoy
    kifoy

Yes, I read the whole Bible, at least once.
    I'm a fast reader, so I skimmed through the Bible as I would any other book.

That means that I didn't really had the time to think about what I read and how it would relate to anything. I was more interested in the stories and the action

kifoy

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I read the entire Bible several times as a Witness and sveral more times after I quit being one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

• NanaR
    NanaR

Yes, I read the entire Protestant Bible when I was a JW. I am now rereading it and including the deuterocanonical books.

When I was a little girl, my dad got the whole family out of bed at 5:30 every morning to read the Bible together. Yes, we were JWs. My mom was 4th generation.

Since I have been attending the Catholic Church, I am finding so much more meaning in the Bible. All those scriptures that I read over the years actually make sense to me now!

Pax,

Ruth

• Purza
    Purza

Nope. I think I read all of the Psalms and Proverbs. But never the whole thing all the way through.

Purza

• kwr
    kwr

I have read the whole bible 30 years ago when I was a teenager, I was a born-again Christian, but I did skip over the long genealogies. I decided that the bible was not the word of God, but it was about man's struggle to understand God.

• civicsi00
    civicsi00

Nope I haven't gotten around to reading the whole thing. I've read Genesis, Exodus, Jonah, Matthew, Mark, and Revelation. I especially liked Revelation. I didn't understand a damn thing, but I'm sure it will have a prophetic completion sometime in the future.

• moomanchu
    moomanchu
    And you? Did you read the whole Bible when you were a JW? If so, what happened after you did? Did it open your eyes?

No. I started reading the NWT at the kingdom hall towards my demise though.

The meeting was so boring to me that I would open the bible and just read.

Turning point was when I bought a Ryrie study bible.

Read through it in about a year loved the notes that are right there, easy to read.

Also bought a NIV study bible and a comparitive study bible.

The elders didn't like when I used these bibles at my sheperding call.

Yes, it opened my eyes.

JW's screen out the things they don't want you to see. One thing that pissed me off is how they didn't cross reference

certain scriptures that didn't fit into their ideaolgy,even though the scriptures were very relevant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit